One bedroom equestrian property

JoannaC

Visit site
Would there be any market for such a thing? Just talking with my husband about the future and thinking when we are older we would downsize and move but then thought if we could split the land off with the Annexe which is a large one bed barn conversion we could stay in the house and have our ponds and garden. There is stabling in a barn for four horses with an approx 3 acre field, menage and a couple of small paddocks. We're just having one of those what's next conversations but then thought would it actually be an option as would anyone want that.

chaps89

Visit site
When can I move in?!
Actually, to be fair we need a 2 bed really (although if there's space for a log cabin or two as music/office space then a 1 bed would be fine) but I would love to find a smaller equestrian property, most seem to be massive with fancy facilities and I don't want/need/can't afford that.
I imagine your market might be a bit limited as equestrian properties are usually family homes or run commercially, but it might also fit that niche for people like me where there aren't many options available and do quite well as a result?

CMcC

Visit site
I bought a two bed equestrian property this summer. The house is fairly small but has excellent equestrian facilities.
It was on the market for over a year in an area where this type of property with 3 or 4 bedrooms + would sell very quickly. The 4 bed, 10 acre, 4 stables and school I sold went to the first person to view within a week.
So my answer is yes it would sell but it is a limited market and may take longer, but you could be lucky and someone may be looking for just that.

Arzada

Visit site
Definitely. Exactly what I'm looking for but not in your area. Smaller properties are fast disappearing because they morph into mansions. OK maybe not mansions but large 4 bed plus properties.

JoannaC

Visit site
So it seems there would be a market albeit niche. This is very much a sometime in the future consideration and we realise it might not be that easy to split the deeds and the utilities but it's often easier to change things once something has been there a while than when you first do the conversion so it's worth finding out if its possible. My husband was convinced we'd need to get planning to change it to a three bed or there would be no market but I thought it could appeal to people with no children living with them. If we do decide to do it (won't be for a few years though) I will certainly share it on here :)

saalsk

Visit site
Yep.

From the other side of the coin, we brought our current place, which has no equine facilities other than around 25 acres of fields, and a large barn that has one stable, but leaks. House is 1 bedroom, 4 rooms in total - bed,living,kitchen,bathroom - but with space to expand. Shame the bak balance doesn't have the same huge space to expand into ! We had to do all the fencing, and still no school/more stables/outside tap etc, but we have certainly thought about changing various things to include a 1 or 2 bed second house/chalet/cabin, with some acres of land with it, which would involve separating some of the drive access, and amenities. Local planning people very positive about how it would all go. If you could all avoid the lottery for a few weeks, to give me a better chance, that would be good !

paddy555

Visit site
Oh yes! We couldn’t believe our luck to get a one bed barn conversion, with a separate one bed annex, ring fenced in over 10 acres. Like hens teeth around here!

yes, one beds or tiny 2 beds with good horse facilities are very limited. Everyone seems to assume if you want some stables and several acres you need a 4 bed det. property. There are a lot of single females looking for minimal accommodation but good facilities for their horses. Plus the fact that not only do they not want a 4 bed det. they also cannot afford it and have no use for it.

I guess many single horse owners would like land, stables and possibly an outdoor but minimal accomodation that has planning.

Muddywellies

Visit site
Would there be any market for such a thing? Just talking with my husband about the future and thinking when we are older we would downsize and move but then thought if we could split the land off with the Annexe which is a large one bed barn conversion we could stay in the house and have our ponds and garden. There is stabling in a barn for four horses with an approx 3 acre field, menage and a couple of small paddocks. We're just having one of those what's next conversations but then thought would it actually be an option as would anyone want that.
Where is this please?

millikins

Visit site
Absolutely. I'm in the south east, any property with land is a 5 or 6 bedroomed luxury home with the commensurate price tag. There are plenty of horsey singletons or couples who ant the acres but only 1 or 2 bedrooms.

be positive

Visit site
As long as the planning allows it to be split, if it is an annex with conditions attached you can start the process of getting it separated before you want to sell by going through the local council well before you want to sell, splitting the utilities shouldn't be an issue but may cost a bit, the same with the deeds, a good solicitor will be able to do this, I sold part of my property this year and most of the process was straightforward enough but it was time consuming and the costs added up although financially it was worthwhile.

As for selling I think you have your answer already, it will be very much in demand, I have found somewhere smaller but there were very limited options of smaller properties with land available in my price range, my compromise was less land than I wanted.

cauda equina

Visit site
Definitely. Exactly what I'm looking for but not in your area. Smaller properties are fast disappearing because they morph into mansions. OK maybe not mansions but large 4 bed plus properties.
This.
It makes me so sad seeing little farmhouses advertised as having 'development potential', with the PP already in place for conversion of the farm buildings into holiday lets or similar
It seems as if time is running out for those of us who want a small house, some outbuildings and a few acres because places like that are disappearing fast

JoannaC

Visit site
Yes I must say when we were looking some of the houses were just far too big hence why we snapped this place up despite needing lots of work to get it how we wanted. I do now have the perfect set up for the horses. The main house is only a three bed bungalow so spacious but not huge as we didn't want a massive house and smaller properties were few and far between. My stepson lived in the Annexe initally and now it's an airbnb.

BP that's good to know we'll start looking into it sooner rather than later.