one hoof smaller than the other

sherwood'

Visit site
a mare in our yard has one foot smaller than the other and i was wondering what could be done about it? she has very upright shoulders and pasterns and wud dish a fair bit- would this have caused it?

any ideas how to help her to stay sound in the future? shes sound at the minute tho! thanks

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Remedial farrier? Depends on the cause, but sometimes shoeing them a bit "wider" on the small foot can encourage the hoof to grown down straighter (if for example the hoof wall is curving in). Where abouts in NI are you? We are a bit short of decent farriers over here aren't we, but there are a couple in Fermanagh.

sherwood'

Visit site
not sure what the cause is other than her conformation of her legs and they way the pressure on her hoof is distributed because of this! Thanks tho ill speak to farrier!
Im in newtownards! where do u teach riding?

Jemayni

Visit site
Well my horse is exactly the same; v.upright pasterns & feet, with one of his front feet is slightly bigger than the other. A farrier can correct it everytime the horse is shod, but with my horse one foot grows faster than the other so they are always unlevel again by the time he needs reshoeing - shoeing him regularly lessens the problem.

As for soundness; my horse is only sound 60% of the time as a consequence of this problem, yet my vet tells me I have just been very unlucky & similar problems don't bother many horses. The best formula I have found for keeping him sound is turning him out on a flat paddock, keeping his weight down and never doing any fast work unless it is on v.soft ground (e.g a school, or the field after a lot of rain.) I also find Cortaflex HA works wonders!

Sal_E

Visit site
Good farriery is essential, but won't 'cure' it I'm afraid. Re soundness, I'd just be careful about concussion, you don't want to do anything to risk stress.

Spot1

Visit site
There are a number of possible causes of feet not being a pair. Having an upright conformation does not, as far as I am aware, predispose a horse to having odd feet. It can be genetic or congenital (the horse has inherited it or has had it from birth). If each foot is treated individually for balance and corrected as much as possible they can both be healthy but remain odd when compared. Attempting to force feet to look similar usually ends in tears. But as Rowreach sais [ QUOTE ]
Depends on the cause

[/ QUOTE ] If either of the feet has a balance problem, flare or contraction this is probably an acquired condition and I would agree with Rowreach's suggestion of remedial farriery.

I'm glad to hear that she is sound
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
how to help her to stay sound in the future?

[/ QUOTE ]
As above, treat each foot individually and don't force symmetry, if it comes great,
smile.gif
if not no worries.
cool.gif

Spot1

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
We are a bit short of decent farriers over here aren't we, but there are a couple in Fermanagh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two?
shocked.gif
Must be a convention or just the lovely countryside
smile.gif

sherwood'

Visit site
Thank you very much everyone for ur help. I wud imagine with her conformation and movemtn it has been an acquired problem so i will chat to farrier and see what he can do for her!

dieseldog

Visit site
Is one foot smaller or the other bigger? What I mean is that the same hoof might be alright the bigger one have the problem. But like Spotties says treat each foot as an individual