One horse or two?

Tobiano

Visit site
Just musing… out of interest... not asking for advice as I am keeping both of mine, but just interested in what others' opinions are on whether it is better to have one horse or two?

Assuming you can afford both, (and assuming if you sold one it is going to go to the most fabulous forever home).

I guess things in favour of just having the one are

- more money spare for treats and luxuries
- more time to spend with your one horse
- don't feel guilty taking one out to a show or event and leaving the other one at home
- harder work looking after 2 and might make it feel less like fun

whereas having 2 means
- friends without horses can come riding with you
- if one is off work for any reason you can still ride
- you can organise turnout to suit yourself without having to rely on other people (there will always be a field companion - except as above when out playing!)
- you can hunt as many times a week as you like (not that I would or could)

What do you guys think?

RubysGold

Visit site
I was happy with one until I bought my second, most of your plus points don't work for me as the reason I have two is because one had to retire due to injury. But the other liveries bring the horses in about 2 hours earlier then me so I love the fact I don't have to worry about other people and horses, i now can't imagine going back to just one

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I have three and look forward to the day when I have two! One probably wouldn't work for us. Used to have many, many more and wouldn't want to go back to that, ever.

Katie :)

Visit site
I've had 4 horses now ,since I was little, and they have all been on their own as we don't have much land. 3 of those came from competition yards but coped very well. We did buy a companion shetland pony for one of my horses, but that only lasted a few weeks because my horse got VERY territorial!! I'd love to have space for more, but I do feel that my horse and I have a very tight bond, especially as I'm an only child too! :)

Rebecca88

Visit site
Me & my 2 other sisters all started off with one each. We now have 6 & wouldn't change it for the world. One is retired as she is 28 but the other 5 are in work, we find it easy as we exercise them between the 3 of us. Only bit that's difficult is making sure we get them out competing regularly.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
i used to have two, now just have one and to be honest it's heaven. I wouldn't go back to 2 all the time I have to work for a living! I can counteract all of your good points with experience:

- friends without horses can come riding with you unless they can't actually ride that well, but you don't find out until you're out, then they fall off and have to go to hospital!
- if one is off work for any reason you can still ride unless they're both off work, then you have to hand walk and cold hose two horses, and rehab them both at the same time.
- you can organise turnout to suit yourself without having to rely on other people (there will always be a field companion - except as above when out playing!) yes good point unless they either get to rely on the other one too much so taking one away becomes a stress, or they don't get on at all so you have to separate them
- you can hunt as many times a week as you like (not that I would or could) I don't hunt, but that's assuming they are both sound, hunting fit and enjoy it themselves :D :D

wiglet

Visit site
I used to have two but am now down to one. My OH used to ride my other horse - we had so many adventures together and it was a wonderful time of my life. She was a veteran though and eventually we had to retire her. OH helped look after her until we had to do the deed late last year :(

Having one is nice - my remaining horse missed my veteran for a while but now seems to love being the 'one and only' :)

I'd still have another in a heartbeat though...

NinjaPony

Visit site
I have one ridden, one retired which is quite nice. Didn't plan on having the two but I think two is a nice number. When my ridden one was off work it meant I could focus on my inhand work with my other one. I don't think I would have time for more than one ridden one at the moment though. I don't find having one retired is that much work on top but that's because he doesn't need regular exercise.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Having done it I would now say no.

I spent more time on chores than I did riding in winter and keeping two comp fit when working full time was exhausting even though I used to pony out.

I will now only have one so once Kia is no longer rideable If it weren't dor friends offering me to ride their horses I would have to give up riding.

The old man seems to have Duracell in him tho so those days are hopefully a long time away :D

Theocat

Visit site
If money and time were no object I'd have two when the time comes for one to start slowing down / retiring, but until I win the lottery one is all I can cope with along with everything else in my life!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I have had one horse at a time for the last 23 years, until last summer when I took on a project while Millie was on sick leave. It was nice having something else to play with and to give her some company. I don't mind the extra work, but I am someone who feels terribly guilty if both aren't worked every day, so it is a lot of added pressure to keep them both up together :) I am looking forward to going back to one when project pony is ready for a new home. Mind you, I'll probably start looking for a youngster to bring on as Millie is 18 this year ;)

JFTDWS

Visit site
Massively depends on set up. On livery, I'd rather just one. At home, I think I'll buy a third but with a heft age gap as I have no need for 3 at their peak all together! I love having a couple of different ponies to train - so many more challenges and opportunities :)

NativePonyLover

Visit site
I've only got the one & I don't want two for a long time, if at all.

I keep mine 17 miles away from home (but 3 from work) & to find time for one, especially when travelling time is taken into account is hard enough - especially in the winter.

I'm averaging £400 a month on a 'cheap' native pony by the time everything is taken into account - i couldn't justify that doubled on two horses! Plus, rather selfishly - I enjoy having time & the finance to do other non-horsey things.

Spottyappy

Visit site
We have 4 although not all at home with us at the moment.
One is out on loan,the rising 2 year old turned away with other youngstock, so have just my mare and my daughters.
They're normally out 24/7 but have come in in last 2 weeks as field got too muddy.
Yes, life would be easier and cheaper with only 1 to do, but I like the work involved with 2.
It's been harder this year as we have had a series of unfortunate health related events which would have been easier if we were on a yard, but we own our place so with the help of some good friends are getting through it.

SecretAgentBilly

Visit site
I have two, but they're both in loan so if I ever got into a situation where I couldn't afford both I could give one back. However I do like having two, it's nice to not ride one horse all the time and have a bit of variety. I couldn't do it if they were on DIY though as they are both on different yards!

Llee94

Visit site
Between me and my mum, we have 5 horses. Two are hers, one of which is retired. Hers don't seem to cost very much at all to keep. They are both natives, barefoot and live off fresh air. They get their feet trimmed regularly and their jabs but that is about it. I seem to have drawn the short straw and have two tbs and a cob x that all cost me a small fortune to keep going (I had to get the vet out on Christmas eve and New years day for 2 separate problems on the same horse, not looking forward to that bill!!). When it is hammering down, freezing cold and I'm covered in mud, I do wonder what it would be like to not have any, have money and a social life, but I soon snap out of it as they are the best things to have ever happened to me. I dread to think how much they cost me per month, I prefer not to keep track of what I spend as the final amount would be huge, especially considering how much my BE entries cost!

TeamChaser

Visit site
Love having 2 but it does of course cost twice as much! Lucky that I share a yard with a friend that has 4 horses/ponies that are not ridden so when Lockie goes team chasing, I borrow a pony to keep Fox company. Does my 2 good to have day apart here and there. They are closely bonded but I can still hack them out alone without too much drama if I want to. Not that I ever have time so just as well they ride and lead so well!!

littleshetland

Visit site
I had five at one time - all fit and well and enjoying their work....I was exhausted and swung between elation at having such lovely beasties, to tears...I was so knackered. I think I've got it cracked now. One lovely old mare, who's still totally up for it, and will behave herself if any novicey friends want to come for a ride. And one special boy, who's only 4 but I've got high hopes for.

Oh , and one tiny shetland who gets driven work in the summer months, and acts as companion if one of the others goes out.
This is about my maximum limit now...occasionally I get the urge, and think "ooh, just one more.." but mercifully, common sense prevails. But back to your opening question OP.... I love having 2 (and a half) works well for me.

Nudibranch

Visit site
I do like having two (three at one time was the maximum) but I sometimes think I'd rather have just the one. But we keep them at home so it wouldn't be fair. One would be a lot less work. But then again I do love them both dearly and they are two very different horses.

Mylife

Visit site
I have my mare who is a veteran and my boyfriend is smitten with her so I can see another on the horizon lol!! Won't be long before he gets one!

FfionWinnie

Visit site
We've got 5 just now, ranging from 32" to 14.2. All are ridden, and shared between myself, daughter and partners daughter. Ideally, I will get down to 4 this year and 3 the following year when the mini is outgrown by everyone. 3 will mean there is a spare for me and my daughter to ride if our main ponies aren't in work (partner's daughter quite wee so won't know how keen she will be for a while). At the point where my daughter starts riding my second one full time, I may get another proper one for me but only if I saw the exact thing I want, which is unlikely. The spare aka the understudy, will never be sold, just wish she was bigger.

blowsbubbles

Visit site
Aside from the pressure to work both enough I love having two. Both very different so have one to remind me about all the things I do wrong, and the other to remind me about all the things I do right :)

Firefly9410

Visit site
Just musing… out of interest... not asking for advice as I am keeping both of mine, but just interested in what others' opinions are on whether it is better to have one horse or two?

Assuming you can afford both, (and assuming if you sold one it is going to go to the most fabulous forever home).

I guess things in favour of just having the one are

- more money spare for treats and luxuries
- more time to spend with your one horse
- don't feel guilty taking one out to a show or event and leaving the other one at home
- harder work looking after 2 and might make it feel less like fun

whereas having 2 means
- friends without horses can come riding with you
- if one is off work for any reason you can still ride
- you can organise turnout to suit yourself without having to rely on other people (there will always be a field companion - except as above when out playing!)
- you can hunt as many times a week as you like (not that I would or could)

What do you guys think?

I agree with your list of pros and cons. For me, those pros totally outweigh the cons. The second horse is half the work of the first being cleaner in the stable and smaller so quicker to work with. The first horse is semi retired so riding is severely limited without the second horse. They are the opposite of each other in likes and dislikes too so my riding has good variety. In an ideal world I would only have one fit and fully healthy horse who was a good all rounder and easy to do. That is what everyone wants though and few seem to achieve it. I cannot get rid of retired horses so think I will always have more than one unless I decide not to ride any more.

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
I have five but three are miniatures, they are a very happy herd and I definitely think my old mare is far happier now than she was when it was just her and Celt. When I ride she is no longer on her own and as he is the boss I think she loves having the little ones to push around. I love having all mine and to see them interact is great.

Sophire

Visit site
I have one and she's retired so I'm currently looking for another.

I think when having two, providing they are easily manageable it's not too much additional work. 5 minutes extra to muck out, 5 minutes extra to fill hay nets and water. Add on the rug changing and grooming, and there's about 20min extra time, which isn't much.

I know it's going to take up more time purely for the fact I'll hopefully be able to ride!

BlackRider

Visit site
I had two for 12 years, I got Apache when Mist turned 20 and wanting to take things more slowly..
I loved having them both, although it was expensive.
I'm down to one now having lost Mist 18 months ago, and I wouldn't want to go back to two again, Apache is happy being an only pony and getting all my attention, and its nice not feeling "split" between them, making sure they're both happy.