One step forward.....two steps back (sorry - long)

4whitesocks

Visit site
OK just looking for general opinions here....and honest ones too please (don't mind a slating - I'm a big girl!)
Sid (backed last October, bought in April, 5 in july) is now just over three weeks in new yard, after two weeks at fairly dodgy place where he was hacked out twice a week a lunged maybe once)...before that he had a doss month, so last real work he did was July. At that stage he competed in his first ODE (pony club), clear over 90 SJ, not great dressage (46 I think?) one stop xcountry when pilot took leg off.
He's had 3 weeks of solid work, (one day off a week), lots of lunging & riding, he's settled in new yard, head coming down out of the air, working a bit more from behind occasionally getting 4 - 5 strides on the bit....BUT he seems to be going backwards with his canter leads - we had a big problem with this early on and I did lots and lots and lots of work on transitions, leg yielding, circles etc. on the left rein he's spot on, from trot & walk but on the right he's getting worse (maybe 2 right strike offs out of 6). He's also not really got any 'spark' at the moment, it's taking a lot of leg to get him really working (and I'm pooped!)....so...

Could he be sore from the additional work & muscle development (using himself properly etc.) - no other real signs of this but he's not a narky horse so it's hard to tell

Could the lack of spark be a feed thing (he's adlib hay and not a lot of hard feed but looks in great nick, very shiny coat bright eyes etc.) or maybe he's knackering himself out when turned out hooning around the field...
Any other suggestions....should I stop riding for a while a leave it to YO in case it's me? I know it's not the end of the world AND it's only three weeks BUT I know he's capable of getting it right as we got it right before.

Sorry this is so long - thanks for reading!

vic07

Visit site
Blood test
Assume he is lacking something and give him pink powders or a blood boost.
Back check etc.....
Youngsters do sometimes go backwards before going forwards in their work.
Have you tried some canters out hacking - get him thinking more forwards. I would try and hack as much as possible and keep flatwork to a minimum. Will often school for 5 mins and then do something different to prevent boredom.

Loupride

s25.photobucket.com
Have you had his back checked etc???
And ditto the hacking out etc, try and make things interesting and fun for him, getting thinking forwards, cantering around field ect.

Hope it works out for you
grin.gif

Salcey

Visit site
Try some happy hacking as mentioned above - maybe its just not much fun for him at the mo, and he needs a change.
Would get bloods checked though just to rule it out.

Happytohack

Visit site
Friend's horse is doing the exact same thing - turns out he has changed shape and his made to measure saddle is pinching & rubbing his back. Might be worth checking.

beaconhorse

Visit site
Sorry but this is one of those occassions where 'how long is a piece of string' So I will just list possible reasons some of which have no doubt already been mentioned

Saddle fit due to new muscles developed

Mentally/physcially over worked

Teeth

Back

Feed.....try giving him some more energy perhaps in the form of oil, which is the best non fizzing slow release energy

Just one question too, Is he still the same when you pick out hind feet? holding them fairly high, especially when right out of his box in a morning???

serena2005

Visit site
iv had the same problem... my lad isnt quite as advanced as yours sounds, but he flat has improved massively from how he was 6 months ago, but he was starting to lack that sprak he had, changed his feed to something with a little more umph to it, so thats sorted, but on his bad rein he cant get the right canter lead when we try walk to canter, and if hes not bending correctly in trot he goes off on the wrong lead, but he never did it before.

it that was they work, you make little progress then they go back 2 steps, as frustrating as it is, i think its just the way.
i would also suggest a blood test, even if theres nothing wrong it will put your mind at rest.

good luck hope hes ok soon.

4whitesocks

Visit site
Feet are fine when picking out, saddle may be an issue - have always been a little unsure about saddle as he's short coupled but I can't go any smaller than 17.5"....we're going to hack out today & go to a nice big field for lots of canter work (it's hard in the evenings though as the only place I can ride is the menage)

Will talk to YO about oils - maybe linseed? what about some form of garlic? Had his teeth done in April but he has started to grind when he's stressed so maybe that has had an impact (or I need to look at some sort of 'probiotic' type thing for his tum)

Vet is coming out this week to do his flu vac so might see if he can take bloods while he's there

Hmmm...am probably just being a stressy Mom but he's such a trier I'd hate to think there was something obvious we'd missed

Will report back later when talk to my YO

Thanks folks

Visit site
Ditto what everyone else has said, back, saddle, teeth etc once these are ruled out have a good look at your own riding.
I could be wrong but from your previous posts I am under the impression that you are a fairly inexperienced rider.
If that is the case you would be better off either having him schooled by someone more experienced or by riding under supervision when you are 'schooling' him yourself.
Clear defined aids are of utmost importance and if you are inadvertantly giving him mixed signals it could also explain things.
This is not meant as a criticism of you or your riding and forgive me if you are more experienced than I have been lead to believe.