Ongoing management of horse with stifle issue

Tash88

Visit site
Hi - I'll try and keep this brief but I'm in two minds about moving my horse to a new yard and I'm v worried about making the wrong decision, as I have limited experience with stifle issues and ongoing lameness/rehab.

My horse had an arthroscopy in September 2019 that was followed by an initial box rest then a 7 month period of small paddock rest. As this was during the winter he was turned out in an all-weather paddock to avoid slipping in mud etc. The surface is quite gravelley, like soft road planings. The vet was happy with this.

He is now doing well and vet has said he can build up to cantering and schooling normally. He had steroid injections into the L and R stifles before starting the gradual fittening programme and the vet came to check on him every 5 weeks before walking under saddle and then trotting. All has seemingly gone well. Even though he could be going in the school more, I've decided that we will primarily be hacking now as it is better for him and he enjoys it more. My priority is to keep him as sound as possible for as long as possible and if that means we are happy hackers then so be it, even though he was intended to be my competition horse. I just want him to be healthy and happy.

This comes to my decision - the tracks near to my current yard are generally quite hard and stony & uneven in places. There is limited chance to trot (only really suitable if it has been raining for a prolonged period) and it wouldn't be sensible to canter on them at all. Therefore when I hack before work, and I only have about 45 mins to do a 'loop', we are mainly walking. This is okay for now but I worry about the long term disadvantage to his joints. Even when we go for longer hacks the ground isn't amazing and I don't know where I'd be able to canter. Am I right in thinking that he would be better on a softer track, more even but possibly a bit muddy in the winter? I went to see a yard that offers this yesterday, and had a walk around this loop (I already know the hacks further afield that I'd do at the weekends probably). It won't be boggy, just wet I think. And in the spring/summer it would be lovely. It is also more even.

In terms of turnout - at the moment he is turned out individually and the paddocks are still quite small. It reduces the chance of injury of course, but in my heart of hearts I like horses to be turned out in groups, as it is more natural for them and they are happier. Where he is now the YO is careful with the winter grazing and so he won't go out if it is raining and the ground is going to get churned up. I am hoping that he will be able to go out throughout the winter (at the moment he is in the paddock for a few hours in the morning then the previous all weather overnight), but I can't be sure. With the yard I went to see yesterday, he would be turned out all day from 8am-3pm approx. in a sensible gelding herd with about 8 others. The field looks large enough and the fencing is secure. I have been told by the YO that it gets a bit muddy in the gateways during the winter but it isn't too bad.

So what I'm asking is, if any of you have horses with long term soundness issues that have to be monitored and managed like my horse, are they turned out in groups in a field all year round? And would you rather hack them on softer tracks? I just want to do what is best for my horse in the long term - his mental and physical wellbeing. I think he would be okay in a sensible herd - he lived out with other geldings with his previous owner and was okay, however bullied a bit by the others from what I have been told. That was three years ago though, and he seems to have matured since then (better to handle, more patient etc.). He seems okay with other horses next to him, but at the moment he is on his own and I do think he wants company. I'm just feeling quite conflicted and want to make the right decision for him.

Many thanks, Tash x