Online Prescriptions

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Who uses online Pharmacies for their horses meds? I am thinking of making the leap as my horses meds costs are rising and I’m finding it hard to justify the continued rising costs.

According to estimates I would be saving £12 per month on what I am paying and also the benefits of having the meds sent to my address instead of having to drive 30mins to my vets and 30mins back.

What is the average price of a prescription and what is the term of them on average please??

meleeka

Visit site
I do for my dog. My vet charges £16 I think for 6 months worth. Given that the price is 81p per tablet online and my vet was charging £1.82 per tablet and my dog is on one a day, it’s a huge saving.

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
Mine chargess £18 which lasts 6 months. I get two boxes of 100 bute within that time frame which costs me around £145 as i use e-vet. If it just used vets bute it would cost me £230 for 200 sachets.

What i do is ring vet and they price match. So the vet nor i actually go to e-vet. The vet just supplies their own bute (that they get cheaper than i could ever find lol) to me directly.

Conversation goes like this. "Hi its ###### I'd like another prescription for bute please".

"Which website are you looking at?"

"I've seen it on e-vet"

"Ok i'm looking at e-vet now and can see its 64p per sachet. That will be £64 plus prescription at £18. You need to pay now over the phone"

Then i pay for it and either vet drops it off within a week or two (i always make sure i save enough so as not to run out) or i go and pick it up on saturday morning when i am not working.

Last edited:

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I buy online. I get 300 bute on a prescription and it has to be used within 6 months. Costs £10.80. I use Vetimed but there are lots of good ones out there. I upload the prescription and they keep it on file and I can buy a box at a time. Costs about £60 for a box - sometimes varies by a pound or two and the vets used to charge aobout £100 for the same amount. Haven't bought direct from them for a long time so I imagine it's gone up a bit.

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
I buy online. I get 300 bute on a prescription and it has to be used within 6 months. Costs £10.80. I use Vetimed but there are lots of good ones out there. I upload the prescription and they keep it on file and I can buy a box at a time. Costs about £60 for a box - sometimes varies by a pound or two and the vets used to charge aobout £100 for the same amount. Haven't bought direct from them for a long time so I imagine it's gone up a bit.

i will have to have a look at that website. your vets prescription charge is cheap. I am sure £18 that my vets charge is a little on the steep side tbh.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
My vet charges £20 per prescription but when our 2nd horse tested positive for Cushings, I rang and did a deal. i already had a discount for the first one but he improved it for 2 (I haven't yet renegotiated since we lost the first horse, which they do know about although vet didn't 'do the deed')

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
my vet charged £12.50 and it lasted for 6 months of drugs and i used animed direct for prascend as they were the cheapest. used to use vio vet but they couldnt match the price so had to change as my mare was on 4 tablets a day!!!!!

JillA

Visit site
Mine charges £15 -£3 VAT for mine (Prascend). He is only allowed to prescribe a certain amount so it is a pack of 160. For less restricted medications you could ask to have a couple of repeats on it, the supplier will keep it them for future orders (mine did at one time but I suspect they have clamped down on it). They can only say no

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I need a boot up the bum to do this for my two Cushing's horses, I'm currently paying £1.30 ish a prascend tablet from my vets, and they're on 2.5 tablets a day between them.

I already get cartrophen from Viovet, and my vets charge £13.80 for a 3 month prescription. It's really easy to do, I take a pic of the prescription with my Ipad and upload it directly to the order, sorted. The saving is huge.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
As far as I understand they are only allowed to prescribe up to 6 months worth as they are now required to see the horse every 6 months. So how much you get on one prescription depends on the daily dosage. Mine get round it a little by prescribing up to 2 a day as needed. If I was giving the full amount I would get through 300 in 6 months. Reality is I don't but make sure it's all ordered with the 6 months.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
I think I will have to speak to my Vet in the new year. I am due to order meds next week so I will speak to them as realistically this will save me £15-£20 per month between cost save and being delivered to me rather than having to go get it.

If they will match it then happy days but if not then I’ll get a script