Online / video lessons

Wheels

Visit site
My OH is high risk of this covid 19 virus and he has asked me not to go to out to lessons at this moment in time so I'm looking for alternatives.

Has anyone had an online / virtual / video lesson? How did you find it? Did you learn much? Was it useful?

If you enjoyed it, who did you use?

(Not looking for comments from nay sayers unless you've actually tried it, thanks)

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
No direct experience, sorry, but it’s interesting that you should post this. I saw the following on FB today and thought that it was a good idea. I went on a RWYM residential course yonks ago and though it was a bit wacky, I got a lot out of it.

Cheap enough, too.

ETA Disclaimer. I do not know/have never heard of this person before.

Wheels

Visit site
Thank you - someone I know is also offering a similar service but I'm just not sure how useful it would be although I know she is a good teacher generally

BBP

Visit site
I enjoyed mine, I had someone video which streamed to my instructor. They were remarkably insightful given they were seeing a wobbly video (the video person has the toughest job as even 30mins feels like ages!) I then phoned her and had an earpiece and microphone in so we could communicate as normal through the lesson. The trickiest bit was there was a time lag of about 2 seconds, which doesn’t sound a lot but when instructor asks you to make a small correction or praises something good, you have to remember what was happening 2 seconds ago rather than in the present. Or they ask you to do a transition when you have already done it, that sort of thing. But once your brain processes riding in the moment but listening to advice from 5 strides ago it’s ok. Better than no lessons at all!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
real time (ish) seems more useful than the send a video and get notes back versions. I noticed Hayley Watson Greaves started doing online stuff a few months ago and I have had an in-person lesson with her which was great, but I wasn't sure how effective the videoing would be so very keen to hear how others have been getting on with similar. My issue is as usual, not having anyone to video and a camera stuck on a fence doesn't give great detail. Good idea to look into it now though wheels, there's lots on offer at the moment.

Britestar

Visit site
The online dressage guys that I use do what they call training classes. You video a test of your choice, and then it goes to a trainer/ bd judge who marks it as normal, then gives you tons if feedback, and exercises to help you improve the score.
It's really helpful and I've done higher tests than I would normally do.
I use dressage4all.

GoldenWillow

Visit site
I've used Trudi Dempsey Equine Training online training and found it very helpful. It is a send a video in and you receive video back format but this also increased my ability to critique myself. I was amazed at how much detail she could pick up on from video and I have to use a camera on tripod as have no one available to video. It proved invaluable when I was unable to have instruction on site and I have continued using it long term.