Only one rug through the winter?

Hennessy

Visit site
Is is possible to make it through the winter with only one rug?

My horse moves to a livery yard next week. I'm a bit concerned about the rugging situation because they don't rug their horses and I'm not sure if they will change his rugs according to the temperature so I'm thinking about getting only one rug for him, something like 100-150-200 g what he can wear all the time and what will help him to stay a bit warmer and won't sweat when the weather is warmer and won't freeze when it's really cold. Is it possible? He will be out 24/7 with a run in shed.

Last winter he was at home and had two rugs, one wool and one 300g what he wore in the coldest nights only but basicaly he was unrugged and lived out 24/7 with a run is shed. But he had access to unlimited hay what probably won't be possible in this yard.

What do you say? (I'm from Hungary, winter here can be between 0 - -20 degrees (celsius) and my horse is an irish bred tb who still needs to put some more weight on)

WelshD

Visit site
One of mine went through winter last year in a 100g rug through varied temperatures and was fine

I'd want the yard to at least be aware that the rug may need removing at times though - just because they don't rug it doesn't mean that they shouldn't be looking after one that is rugged as normal

Hennessy

Visit site
Of course I'll talk to them to be very careful and call me if they have any questions. Anyway I'll go out every day so I can take it down or put it on but weather can be strange these days, it can be freezing cold then next day it can be 10C and I don't my boy to be freezing or sweating but still want to rug him so he does't need to grow a huge winter coat.

When did you start rugging with the 100g?

Hennessy

Visit site
I plan to ride 5-6 times a week, we do dressage. I saw their horses, they had huuuge winter coats and lost condition through last winter. I don't want him to loose weight, actually he needs to put some on. They feed hay 3-4 times a day so he cannot warm himself up by digesting hay all day.
And to be honest I don't really like the idea of moving him to a livery yard but right now this is out only option.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
If the move is your only option then you're obviously making the best of it that you can for your lad.

I've found that it's the waterproofness that's the big factor in keeping the horse warm. So long as there is some fill to cover the colder times but that allows airflow for the warmer times, I'd focus on keeping the horse dry.

Our older lad would shiver in the rain although he was fine when it was colder, so he was rugged for rain rather than temparature.

Ah, breathable as well. If you're going to be working the lad will you have time to cool him off fully before rugging and putting back out?

Arzada

Visit site
If you are going 5-6 times pw then you could have more than one rug and check the weather forecast for the duration of your absence and rug accordingly.

Hennessy

Visit site
I am looking for a waterproof, breathable, nigh neck turnout rug. Only question is the filling. I cannot decide between 100g and 200g or maybe 150g? And also, when to start rugging? When it starts to freeze during the night?

After each ride I'll use a fleece rug to dry him, like I used to do last winter even when he was not rugged and was sweaty only under the saddle. No way leaving him till he is dry completely.

Hennessy

Visit site
Yes I can check the forecast an I will but the thing is if there is a seriours change of temperature from one day to the other I don't know if I can trust them to check the horse and change the rug accordingly. I hope for the best but I cannot be sure. That's why I'm thinking to go with a light rug just to be sure he won't sweat under it. He can still grow some hair (he already did actually) but it also provides him some protection from the rain and wind.

Sparemare

Visit site
It's hard to predict what weight rugs you will need as every horse is different. Mine can get really cold really quickly and need a 200, but on other days not need one at all.

Bessi

Visit site
Highly recommend bucas rugs, they state on them the temperature range they are suitable for, and are so wicking and breatheable you can put them straight onto a damp horse and they will dry it off. I love them

Last edited:

Theocat

Visit site
I think you're worrying unnecessarily :)

Your problem isn't the whole winter; it's whether or not rugs might be changed appropriately in a 24-hour period (between your visits) - and nearly all of us are in the same boat. Even the best livery yards don't always change rugs or get it exactly right, because sometimes that's impossible - if it's switching from freezing rain to boiling sunshine in the space of an hour (and it can, and does) all we can ever do - short of having someone on permanent rug duty - is do our best.

With temperatures from -20C to 10C, I'm tempted to say you'll need more than one rug; then it's just a question of checking the forecasts, making a best guess and picking a rug to suit. Certainly that's more likely to be effective than trying to guess the one rug that will be comfortable for five months solid.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I like this Rambo rug but noone sells it in my country and actually the options are quiet limited compered to UK. I found nice high neck rugs and if he needs I can get a neck cover too. I'm thinking about this one, it's an Equi-Theme 150g: http://www.countrybase.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=Equi-Theme-600D-150g-High-Neck-Turnout

But there is a Horse Guard high neck I like too, that's 100g.

If you're only getting one rug then I would make sure it is more than 600D. The 600D ones rip very easily and lose their waterproof much quicker than thicker outers. I second the horseware or bucas rugs. These will last and stay waterproof for longer.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
If the annual rainfall is anything like Scotland, you will need more than one. My horses live out 24/7. Some with shelter some without. Even the expensive rugs will leak at some point - you'll want to be able to change a rug for a dry one not put back on a sodden heavy rug, believe me.

Hennessy

Visit site
He hates rain (and wind) so I'm almost 100% sure he won't leave his shelter when it's raining. But you are right, maybe it's better to buy two rugs, from stronger material. I hope everything will be fine and they'll take good care of him. I know I tend to overcomplicate things but I don't have good experiences with livery yards.

If I go with two what do you guys recommend? 100g/300g?

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
He hates rain (and wind) so I'm almost 100% sure he won't leave his shelter when it's raining. But you are right, maybe it's better to buy two rugs, from stronger material. I hope everything will be fine and they'll take good care of him. I know I tend to overcomplicate things but I don't have good experiences with livery yards.

If I go with two what do you guys recommend? 100g/300g?

Is he going to be clipped? If not, I would just get two 100g rugs. You can always put a thin stable rug on underneath if it's very cold or even double up the rugs. I don't like fleece rugs used as under rugs as they tend to get a lot of static and ride back causing pressure points.

Hennessy

Visit site
He won't be clipped. I'd like him to have some winter coat but also some extra protection. Do you think 100g would be enough? I thought so but now I'm reeeaaaally not sure about anything. :D

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I would get a 100 and a 200. Aim to use the lighter one most of the time with the 200 for back up. Has he lived out before? My mare can often be found standing out in the rain for no apparent reason rather than going in her shelter (which she uses when it suits her!).

Hennessy

Visit site
Yes, since last autumn he has a small paddock with a run in shed and ad lib hay. He actually gained a lot of weight last winter and looked wonderful (after taking him from livery in terrible condition). I rugged him only when it was like -10 or lower or windy and wet but I could check on him personally and rug/unrug him anytime I wanted. Here they don't give adlib hay (I'll still try to convince them) and I'm not sure how careful they are with rugging.

When do you start to use the 100g?

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Really depends on the horse. My (delicate with a health issue) cob is fully clipped (inc legs and face) and has a shelter but is wearing a 200g already and will wear a 400g for most of the winter.

My others are all bib clipped and not rugged yet. They are hardy natives and I only really rug to keep them clean for riding. It's still about 12c during the day and 7c at night here.

They all have adlib forage however. Definitely will help yours if you can convince them.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Aye, keep pushing for the ad lib, as you know it'll help immensley. Ours are out 24/7/365 all unrugged but also all unworked. The ad lib hay will be in the field as of the end of this month.

As for when to start rugging, it's hard to put a date on it per se - as FW says it depends on the horse. When in work one of ours would like a rug and stable all year round, another never seemed to need anything.