Only one to turnout today

Irishcobs

Visit site
Anyone else turnout today?
I turned BBB out today, I was the only one from the yard that did.
I will not keep my horse in 24/7 mainly because of her brain and also she will get fat legs. The weather is going to get worse, with minus temperatures and more snow but providing it is safe enough to do so ie. not too slippery or rutted hard ground I will continue to turn out even if only for a couple of hours.

My cobs are living out in this.

starry94

Visit site
i turned out as normal. was just starting to snow as i got to the yard so no trouble getting out and its a 30 second walk from stable to field for me. can also walk across grass to get to the field so don't need to worry about ice.
everyone turned out as normal on my yard & we have a few out 24/7. chucked some hay out & they're fine :)

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I would have but no-one else would so I had to leave in. Also no-one can guarantee getting to the yard easily to get the back in later.

Daffodil

Visit site
I did, though I'm slightly panicking about how to get them in later.

I decided it would be safer to let them have a leg stretch and come in early, than keep them in and they go potty when eventually turned out.

That might happen anyway, I suppose!!

mcnaughty

Visit site
Not sure of the logic here - if I thought I couldn't get up the stables later I would turn out - at least they would be able to stretch legs, find something to nibble on . Why would you risk leaving a stabled horse with nothing?

3Beasties

Visit site
Ditto mcnaughty.

Mine are out but will come in later a bit earlier then normal. They live at home so no problem for me to get to them.

I plan to turn out every day unless it becomes dangerous to do so. Yard was scraped and gritted this morning so will see how it goes.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I'm turning out in the sand manege as usual but they have all been acting up this week. Not a single livery has been to the yard since Sunday so on my own.

Last edited:

Charlie Bucket

Visit site
I turned my two out - only two on whole yard that went out.

Snow has settled in the fields but not on the road as yet so hopefully I'll be able to get back up. If not it will be a 'come and pick me up on the quad' jobbie ;)

L&M

Visit site
Mine have been out for 3 hrs - had a bit of a buck and a spin but settled down after a few mins.

The snow was making horrendous 'stilts' so have now bought them back in, but at least they have had a roll and a leg stretch.

I will be sticking to this routine until it thaws. Fortunately they are older cobby types and trust them not to do anything stupid!

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
Mine live out but brought them in at 7 this morning, cob was shivering bless him. They have been in all morning stuffing hay and have just started kicking the doors as they are now ready to go back out. Turned them out, rugged the poor cob my TB X Cob is unrugged put plenty of hay out and they have had a good run around bucking and chasing each other before settling to the hay, happy horses. The 3 minis are wandering around the stable area eating hay and making a lovely mess for me to clear up later. Already mucked out twice today. :(

trottingon

Visit site
I'm turning out in the sand manege as usual but they have all been acting up this week. Not a single livery has been to the yard since Sunday so on my own.

That's just mad! Even when on full livery I've barely missed a day even when I had no transport and had to walk 20 mins down an unlit country lane from the nearest bus stop after work in the winter, and unless I've been on holiday I've never missed consecutive days (even if its just to see them for 5 mins for a quick check over and to say hello)!

noodle_

Visit site
mines in

gets turned out and starting to lunge....

shes more than happy in - and tbh as am i,,, she needs more handling anyhow so for now it works quite well :)

maxapple

Visit site
Our two cobs live out and are fine. Luckily there are literally outside my friends house so no problems getting to them!

My other two are on livery and went out for 4 hours yesterday - probably the same today unless it snows really heavily. They will go out for a while at least.

meandmrblue

Visit site
Will be putting blue out as usual though he hangs around the gate area to come in after a few hours, there is grass he can find if he digs but seems to prefer to come back in after a mooch about:)

pottamus

Visit site
My lad went out at 5.30am as normal and will be back in at 6pm. The only time I have kept him in for a day because of snow was the really bad winter when it was up to my waist in snow and he had run through his electric tape into the bigger field. The tape was strewn everywhere and I ran out of time the following morning to fix it prior to work so had to abandon it and leave him in with hay.

Kallibear

Visit site
I don't see how potentially trapping them in a stable unattended is better than being stuck in the field?

Mine are out 24/7 anyways (and currently loving it!) but if they were normally stabled, they'd have been given a big bale in the field, suitably rugged and deliberately let out 24/7. Grounds frozen so mud or damaging the ground is not an issue and at least they'd be able to move to keep warm and have some friends to entertain them.

ShadowFlame

Visit site
Majority on our yard are in, or just out for an hour. My boy was out at 9 and will be coming in around 4. There's no hay out and around 5 or 6" of snow, but he seemed quite happy ferreting around and was finding grass under there.

A lot of people seem to use the reasoning of: "I don't want them hooning round and hurting themselves". Majority of the time the only reason they hoon round is because they've been locked up for 23hrs of the day...

lhotse

Visit site
Mine has been out with plenty of hay but was asking to come back in again after a couple of hours. Think she's more of a summer horse...

Kikke

Visit site
Our gelding lives out 24/7 and happy to be there snow and all.
Our mare goes out at 3 pm and comes in at 8 am. Loves the snow and has plenty to keep her busy.

Can't understand people keeping their horse in. They mostly love being out and every horse can be rugged plenty to keep them warm if needed.

Dizzydancer

Visit site
While its just snow on the ground my boy will continue to be out 24/7 he loves the snow although is well rugged. Even the 35 year old is out for 8 hours they can cope in snow. Plus i know if its awful i don't have to get up there as yard owner will check and they have haylage bale out and straw patch for lying down.
However if it starts to turn to sheet ice they will all come in for safety as our fields are on hills.
Sayin that the only time they end up in continuously is if yard and tracks are sheet ice and to dangerous to lead out. At least fields unlikely to become ice.

vicky86

Visit site
Three of the younger ones are out pretty much as normal in the day, maybe in an hour earlier than normal (9-3)with some hay but I have moved them into the closest, flattest paddock (pretty much 3m from stables). My older retired horse plus one of the full liveries are just going out individually for a couple of hours as they just don't want to be out in it but they like a leg stretch and mooch about for a bit. Other two on the yard are on box rest so they have no choice and one DIY livery has decided not to turn out. I prefer turning out on snow as appose to hard ice however they pretty much go out in all weather!

Swift00

Visit site
My boy's out 24/7, wouldn't have it any other way, made it to yard in car this morning, but won't be able to later, we're at the bottom of a very steep hill and even gritted it's icy,, so i will do the 40min walk each way as i did yesterday to feed and hay him, i would never not go down one way or other, he's quite happy out un-rugged, much rather stuck out than in

indie999

Visit site
If old boy was around he would still be out in this and having a ball. Goofing around. Big pile of hay and just been out even nice enough to go out for a ride as long as it involved no roads and stuck the paths I know. Lovely out just got back from nice dog walk. Its not freezing freezing quite mild and snowing since this morning not stopped. As long as they have food and water I would stick out.