OOOH, nerves are killing me - any suggestions?

EllieBeast

Visit site
sorry guys, another of these (first from me). i have a stressage competition on sunday (yes, it really is stressage for me, and i dont mean that to be defamatory to dressage riders)
i just get so nervous, which means i get tense, which means that beastlet wants to b*gger around and turn back into a challenger tank
frown.gif
. i have been practising my arse off for this kind of thing. we have made so much progress and i am really pleased with how we have come on. however we still have a long road ahead - walk and trot are lovely, its the canter that we are having most problems with (really having to work on balance issues). and what test am i doing? Prelim 4 - the one made almost entirely from canter.
to give you an idea, in 6 weeks we progressed from this-
895e8350.jpg

to this -
18.jpg

20.jpg

obviously we still have a lot to work on, but we are on our way. my main problem is nerves. when jumping i am fine, give me a nice 3'6" xc course anyday over a simple prelim. i have tried rescue remedy - to no avail, do you think a few malibu and cokes could do the job? - i'm only slightly joking
crazy.gif

Sarah xXx

Nic

Visit site
I take rescue remedy & give some to D. Even if it only takes the edge off me it does the same for him, stopping him tensing when I do so I relax more. (Did that make any sense? Nope thought not
smirk.gif
)

EllieBeast

Visit site
lol, it did!
smile.gif
where can you get it in industrial quantities so that if the herbal aspect doesnt work, the alcoholic component will?
crazy.gif
i really need to get over this stupidity. im sure that once i sort my nerves, everything else should fall into place. thankies
Sarah xXx

airedale

Visit site
take the stuff that contains Valerian - usually sold for sleeping at night - then take it during the day (plus and optional rum and coke if you like)

you'll then sleep thru the test and be so relaxed......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

that you might miss the end of it :))

EllieBeast

Visit site
ooooh, could i give it to my horse??? lol really, if i get REALLY nervous, then Pressie Bush will be after me for riding a weapon of mass destruction. ho hum, alcomahol it is lol
how long would i not be able to drive for after that valerian stuff? (i know i cant drink and drive either, just wondering about the next day, i dont tow)
Sarah xXx

parsley

Visit site
I got over my competition nerves on Bomber by......

refusing to compete any more
grin.gif

However, you could try something like stress relief tablets from Tescos - they contain valarian, hops and something else that I can't recall. Plus they are cheap.

Nic

Visit site
Just watch how much you take.

My Mums friend had to give a lecture for the first time & swigged half the bottle, walked on stage then keeled straight over pmsl!
shocked.gif
grin.gif

EllieBeast

Visit site
Parsley - im afraid that isnt an option, having posted ummm, about 12000 entry forms off today
crazy.gif
lol maybe i could do that, and employ some crazy person with a deathwish to compete her for me! - will have a look for those stress relief tablets, and cheap is always good
grin.gif

Audrey - thanks, but i dont have the time beforehand to do so, as have multiple neddies to sort out (none mine) and plait my own up
frown.gif

Nic - i like the idea of that, shove Ellie on autopilot and let her get on with it whilst i have a snooze
grin.gif
if i practise enough maybe she could learn it!
Sarah xXx