Oooo, moving Hannah back up to the top yard...

_jetset_

Visit site
I hope I am doing the right thing! - sorry for the ramblings on in advance.

Hannah is now in her last trimester (how scary!) and is going out every other day, soon to be every day. The stable she used to be in, that Grace is in now, is 16'x12', and the one she is in now is 14'x12'.

Anyway, when I bought Grace, she moved into that stable as Hannah was in the foaling box at the bottom. I have to admit, I have been finding it really hard having them both seperate as it means running up and down the drive with buckets, shavings forks, haynets etc etc.

So I mentioned to the YO that I would be interested in the next 12'x12' that came up so I could move Hannah (and foalie) up to the top yard where they can both see other horses and the hussle and bussle of a yard. The stable Hannah is in now does not have a view of other horses, is very quiet and contained.

A stable came up at the top yard right next to the 16'x12' stable! So today, I am planning on moving Hannah back up to the top to have her foal. She absolutely loved the big stable, it was hers for a few years, and I think she finds the one on the bottom yard a bit quiet.

I know they should have quiet for foaling, but I also know how much she likes looking over her door and seeing others... am I being an absolute idiot by moving her up to the top (16 horses on the yard)?

Rebecca x

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
I’m no expert having never had a foal but I figure if she is happy and settle then I don’t see why you should have any problems!

Good luck with the foal, how exciting for you!!!!!!!!!!

Bananaman

www.teamtorrent.co.uk
Not at all.

In fact it sounds like the best of ideas for both of you.
It's better to have a stress free mum to be, and if that means being up where the action is, then fine.

Most, but of course not all, foalings take place at night when the yard tends to be quiet anyway, so that won't be a problem either.
Best to put Hannah where she's happiest.

Not long to wait now!
grin.gif

_jetset_

Visit site
Thanks... that is what I thought, but then I also felt really selfish because a lot of it is for my own benefit! Hannah loved being at the top in her big box, and every time I take her for a walk up there she turns into the happy bouncy Hannah I know and love whereas she has been very quiet in the box at the bottom.

Visit site
I'm not sure but I would do whatever Hannah prefers so if she prefers to see other horses and is more happy watching what's going on in the yard, I would go for it and move her.
smile.gif

MillionDollar

Visit site
I think you're doing absolutely the right thing! Shes obviously likes it better at the top yard and it will help you a lot!

I cannot believe you've only got under 3 months to wait now!!!! Is she big? I've got aaaaaaaages to wait, lol. Have you got any recent piccies that would be good!?

_jetset_

Visit site
I was just thinking I don't have any recent piccies... might take some tomorrow when she has had a brush!

Hannah is absolutely huge now... really dropped and now it is expanding a lot too. The vet thinks we are going to have a very decently sized foal, poor Hannah
smile.gif

Fiona

Visit site
Sounds like a great idea, if she is happier in the top yard and it is nearer your other horse as well, then why not.
Will she have a big enough box to foal in up in the top yard, or will you have to move her again nearer the time. Is she getting the 16x12 box that Grace is in, with Grace moving to a smaller one????
Fiona

amandaco2

Visit site
as long as shes settled in there and happy and shes been in there for at least 6 weeks prior to foaling she will be fine.
good luck hope it all goes ok!its very scarey i remember when my mare was about to foal at home and it is very exciting, frustrating, scarey and tiring!lol