Oooooooops!

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Well it's finally happened I've managed to fall off my Clydesdale, my first fall in a number of years. Although I'm rapidly approaching 50 , it seems I still bounce :D
Yes I'm fine and so is Kevin.

I was at the local stressage , opening show of new season, thought I'd do the intros just to get our series score underway. Kev was fine, seemed chilled until I tried to mount at which point he shot off as I swung my leg over. I lost my only stirrup and also dropped my knitting. Off we went towards the car park at speed with me still on. I'd not even managed to clip on my air jacket. I was trying to get hold of the reins all the time trying to talk to him, when I realised we were heading for a car. I managed to turn his head and he shot side wards ........ Didn't go with him and landed on the bonnet of the Land Rover before sliding off and face planting in the gravel. I have a bruised cut knee and a lovely gravel rash on my face. ( car had a lovely dent! Thankfully owner completely un concerned, collects dents apparently) Everyone was lovely and looked after us. I popped in the shop and purchased a new hat, had a fiddle with the saddle and did my two tests. I knew I had to keep going or risk my hard earned confidence. They were only intros so over quite quickly. We scored over 68% in both and were second in both classes. I was given first slot by another rider so I was actually only in the saddle for just over ten minutes. Not sure what caused his reaction but we survived.

Lessons learnt....

1. No matter how quiet your horse is there are plenty of people at a show, most completely happy to help others mount! Use them!!!
2. When mounting, no matter how quiet, safe, sane your horse is , face him towards the blinking wall NOT the car park!
3. Equestrian people in an emergency are simply awesome, the nicest and most helpful people. I was very well looked after.

Vet coming out on Monday, saddler also booked. 111 called and I've been given the all clear.
Currently self medicating on a cheeky, fruity white ! :D

sychnant

Visit site
Oh wow, hope you're not too sore and your scrapes heal quickly!

Major well done for getting back on,and huge well done for doing so brilliantly!

I don't think I've seen a photo of your lovely sounding boy, are there any on here? Hope he also gets the all clear when he's checked over and that it was just one of those baby moments :)

atropa

Visit site
Oh dear! At least it's now out of the way and very well done for getting back on, doing your tests and getting such good marks! I've still to fall off either of my horses for the first time :\ Glad everyone was so nice and helpful, plus please make sure you look after yourself even if you feel fine right now.

SpringArising

Visit site
Well done for getting on with it afterwards! What's the vet and saddle fitter for? It sounds like he got a bit spooked and took off, that's all. I don't think you have a reason to be concerned just yet.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Well done for getting on with it afterwards! What's the vet and saddle fitter for? It sounds like he got a bit spooked and took off, that's all. I don't think you have a reason to be concerned just yet.

Prob over reacting, it's so out of character and I'm not sure what spooked him. The saddle is an on going work and I just want to be sure with the vet. She is a Chiro vet and will check him over for me. I have fought really hard to re gain my confidence and better safe then sorry. It was just so odd, he normally doesn't spook at anything and mounting he is usually chilled out.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Oh wow, hope you're not too sore and your scrapes heal quickly!

Major well done for getting back on,and huge well done for doing so brilliantly!

I don't think I've seen a photo of your lovely sounding boy, are there any on here? Hope he also gets the all clear when he's checked over and that it was just one of those baby moments :)

Although he is ten, he has done nothing and is very green at times. So I would say he would qualify for being thought of as a six year old.

URL=http://s1208.photobucket.com/user/sukistokes3/media/image_19.jpeg.html]
image_19.jpeg
[/URL]

Nicnac

Visit site
Crikey that's a long way down! Well done on results and you've had your fall so know it's not as bad as you maybe imagined. Glad you had such lovely people there.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Thanks everyone. Apparently I also got the highest score in my section the "Gerri Hat Tricks" and got another nice frilly :D

I decided to have Kev checked out by the vet, she was concerned by his unusual behavior, he will be having a check up today at 1.30. Worth it for piece of mind. It was simply just so out of character for the 8 months Iv'e had him and it was my instructors first suggestion to.

Crackerz

Visit site
Oooopps indeed! nice one for getting back on and carrying on :)

Am i the only person that chuckled at the mental image of someone being swung off a horse and landing on a cars bonnet? :D Glad you are ok OP :)

rachk89

Visit site
Well done for getting back on and continuing. And I think you are right to get him checked just for peace of mind. Could be something small wrong that may escalate.

I had the same thing happen to me only I hit the ground quicker and broke my leg. So you definitely fared better than me you must have excellent balance.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Kevin was seen by the vet today , who is also a Chiro, he was very stiff through the back and lumber region. So he was sore. The friend who was with him while the vet checked him, also looked at the saddle and felt that it was unevenly flocked ( she's very experienced) Vet has advised a saddle check and then for me to crack on. So all in all we should be off again fairly shortly. Once the cut has healed on my leg anyhow ;)