Oops, spur of the moment DD purchase…

eahotson

Visit site
Following buying my lovely pb Lusitano yearling filly earlier this year unseen from Wales (couldn’t be happier with her), I decided I wanted one more youngster to add to the herd.

Cue me falling for and purchasing a rather ridiculous lump of a colt I saw on dragon driving after a few glasses of wine the other night…

View attachment 78500View attachment 78501

Meet Zachry, a 2 year old Flemish Draft, just over from Belgium a few weeks ago. He’s having his nads off today and should be coming home Wednesday all going to plan ?

He is in desperate need of some TLC, his feet are quite poor, pretty sure he has lice, and he needs a good lot of wormer! Yes, I’m mad, but I think I can see some potential in him blossoming into a wonderful horse.

Realistically he a bit big for me, but I will just see how we go. If he continues to be as chilled as he seemed when I went to see him I think I’ll be on to a winner ☺️ If not I can see him making a great police horse or similar.

I just hope he doesn’t end up quite as big as his dad!!

View attachment 78502View attachment 78503

I have researched health issues etc and I realise they are a bit different to your average horse, so any advice or tips from heavy owners on here appreciated :)
have they got some Welsh in them?

Btomkins

Visit site
Blimey, he's fab isn't he!! Just my cup of tea :)

Only advice I can give is to keep on top of the mites. Don't use old wives tales to treat them - deal with them properly, with proper medication.
Look after his feet - he's little now but there will eventually be a lot of weight running through those hooves.
Most farriers will shoe or trim a 'heavy' but the biggest thing is manners. Having a massive horse leaning on you when shoeing or trimming, compared to a Section A is back breaking stuff.
Get yourself on heavy horse pages on Facebook etc. People are more than happy to share experiences and give advice freely.

Have fun :)

Great advice, thank you, have joined lots of groups just now and off to research mites. I’m really hoping as he doesn’t have much feather it won’t be a problem but I’d like to be prepared.

OP, he is lovely and will be gorgeous when he is mature. My tip, apart form feather care, is to keep him on the light side, if they get overweight, it's a nightmare trying to get their weight down. Mine was obese when I bought her and had got that way in 9 months in a family, as opposed to her former, working, home.

He will likely go with my other good doer who is always on a diet, would hate to see too much extra strain on his already large frame.

He's gorgeous, I think I'm a little bit in love!
If you decide to sell at any point in the next 10 years or so, send me a PM!

He may possibly be a bit further down the line so will keep you in mind ;)

Gosh he’s a big lad already! Absolutely gorgeous!

Yes I think he’s 16.1/2 already, will be keen to get the stick in him when he arrives.

WOW! Almost as good as my unseen DD purchase. You're a horse buyer after my own heart. I like him!

Yours is so handsome, looks so different to when you picked him up! I’ve been following your posts about him and can only hope Zach improves as much :)

Snowfilly

Visit site
I saw him and almost almost called but if I had another heavy I’d want to show and the local shows round here won’t let foreign drafts in.

He’s stunning! Just a word of warning - heavies are addictive! Hope you have lots of fun with him.

angel7

Visit site
Ha ha, you’re mad! I’ve just been looking on there and saw Abella and some other very interesting ads, notably the 2 coloureds that I would buy immediately if I had my own land.https://www.dragondriving.co.uk/horseforsale-172749.html

He’s gorgeous, I hope you love him loads! Re feather, I swear by baby oil.
Something not quite right about this coloured pair. on the market for a while now...
They are based on a large dealers yard that sells 20+ horses every 2 weeks at double the price of these.
There is also a riding school on site that changes its horses regularly and sources them from the dealer, aswell as other riding schools nearby.
There is simply no big heavy cobs to be bought in Scotland and especially not at this money....

Miss_Millie

Visit site
He's beautiful! I saw him on DD the other day and he caught my eye, hard not to stop and admire such a beautiful animal. I hope you have many happy years together :)

millikins

Visit site
Something not quite right about this coloured pair. on the market for a while now...
They are based on a large dealers yard that sells 20+ horses every 2 weeks at double the price of these.
There is also a riding school on site that changes its horses regularly and sources them from the dealer, aswell as other riding schools nearby.
There is simply no big heavy cobs to be bought in Scotland and especially not at this money....

They both look a lot younger than advertised.

Btomkins, your lad looks like a sweetie, have fun.

Surbie

Visit site
Wow he is gorgeous! He's going to be mountainous isn't he?!

We have a Comtois at my local RDA - we had 2 and they couldn't have been more different in temperament. One (now moved on) was a bargey *rse who would try to drag you anywhere he thought there might be food, the one that has stayed is a giant teddybear and properly respects fencing. Also has been kept barefoot and his feet are really good. I would also echo the need to keep on top of the feathers/skin on the legs though.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
London is no distance![/QUOTE

:DNot from you, it is from me!
Anyway the Lottery disappointed us yesterday, so we still don't have enouigh land to separate her from Bossy Cob and she would also need a companion (which admittedly I could find on Horsemart, fairly easily) There was a blue roan filly on DD that I was coveting a few weeks ago. I am falling out with the Lottery tbh.

Btomkins

Visit site
Good luck with him. Having raised a heavy type from foal onwards, my advice is that tonnage of hay/haylage you have in the barn won't be enough. I speak from experience !

I am hoping our rather abundant grazing that is a pita for my good doer will come in handy for once! Lots of lovely quality hay made on the farm available too :)

silv

Visit site
He is very striking,, looking forward to following his progress. Just as well there is no equivilent to Dragon Driving here in NZ, would be doing the same!