Oops, spur of the moment DD purchase…

Btomkins

Visit site
Following buying my lovely pb Lusitano yearling filly earlier this year unseen from Wales (couldn’t be happier with her), I decided I wanted one more youngster to add to the herd.

Cue me falling for and purchasing a rather ridiculous lump of a colt I saw on dragon driving after a few glasses of wine the other night…

EE83C9EA-C1AA-451A-B723-C3E19BC160F0.jpeg4A99D9CF-AB90-440E-877D-B6E9E9192F4B.jpeg

Meet Zachry, a 2 year old Flemish Draft, just over from Belgium a few weeks ago. He’s having his nads off today and should be coming home Wednesday all going to plan ?

He is in desperate need of some TLC, his feet are quite poor, pretty sure he has lice, and he needs a good lot of wormer! Yes, I’m mad, but I think I can see some potential in him blossoming into a wonderful horse.

Realistically he a bit big for me, but I will just see how we go. If he continues to be as chilled as he seemed when I went to see him I think I’ll be on to a winner ☺️ If not I can see him making a great police horse or similar.

I just hope he doesn’t end up quite as big as his dad!!

63C1E39E-365E-4826-9CB9-AE1D038578A5.jpeg7143F43D-ADAF-417E-B787-898082707BA0.jpeg

I have researched health issues etc and I realise they are a bit different to your average horse, so any advice or tips from heavy owners on here appreciated :)

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Ah, I was going to say he looks like a Belgian! He's absolutely lovely though.

All I can say from second hand experience is to maintain those feathers/legs. There are some Ardennes at the yard right now with terrible scabs, bloody, and swollen legs because the owner doesn't keep an eye/maintain. Some farriers/trimmers around here won't do big hooved horses/cold bloods/drafts but that can vary by hoof professional, so might not be a worry.

Btomkins

Visit site
Ah, I was going to say he looks like a Belgian! He's absolutely lovely though.

All I can say from second hand experience is to maintain those feathers/legs. There are some Ardennes at the yard right now with terrible scabs, bloody, and swollen legs because the owner doesn't keep an eye/maintain. Some farriers/trimmers around here won't do big hooved horses/cold bloods/drafts but that can vary by hoof professional, so might not be a worry.

Yes we had one at a yard I worked at a few years ago that was in a right state. Will be keeping a close eye on those legs but thankfully his feather is very sparse, and I’ll probably keep them clipped.

deb_l222

Visit site
Blimey, he's fab isn't he!! Just my cup of tea :)

Only advice I can give is to keep on top of the mites. Don't use old wives tales to treat them - deal with them properly, with proper medication.
Look after his feet - he's little now but there will eventually be a lot of weight running through those hooves.
Most farriers will shoe or trim a 'heavy' but the biggest thing is manners. Having a massive horse leaning on you when shoeing or trimming, compared to a Section A is back breaking stuff.
Get yourself on heavy horse pages on Facebook etc. People are more than happy to share experiences and give advice freely.

Have fun :)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
He's lovely! So glad he's fallen on his huge feet

Now, who's going to buy Abella, the sweet Belgian Draft?

I would but the cob who is still here just could NOT get on with my Westphalian Kaltblut mare (and wouldn't try), we had to separate them and we haven't really got enough room to do that. I haven't actually seen that ad but there are some that keep popping up on Horsemart that have me drooling. Oh for a Lottery win!:D

OP, he is lovely and will be gorgeous when he is mature. My tip, apart form feather care, is to keep him on the light side, if they get overweight, it's a nightmare trying to get their weight down. Mine was obese when I bought her and had got that way in 9 months in a family, as opposed to her former, working, home.

deb_l222

Visit site
My farrier has banned me from buying more heavies but I'm sure if I'd sneaked this one in he'd have forgiven me - he's gorgeous!

My farrier used to mutter and swear under his breath every time he shod my Clydesdale but I do know he used to show piccies of him round the pub, showing off that 'he had to shoe that beast' lol. I think they secretly love the big beasts really :)