Op for my colts retained parts :)

zoon

Visit site
Nope - and my very simple rig op (for one retained testicle sitting inside inguinal canal) has just cost me £900. Had the testicle been anywhere else, they would have made an abdominal incision and the cost would have been at least double to go in and fish it out. A scan had shown my colt had a very small deformed testicle that would have never made its own way out, so op was definately nesessary - no point in waiting for it to drop of its own accord (he is only 20 months old). Can your vet scan to see if they can work out roughly where it is to give an idea of cost?

thatsmygirl

Visit site
Oh dear, my lad is only 10 months old so hopeing it will come down, he has none at the mo and the vet has had a good feel up high but nothing there yet. Just seeing where I stood really with reguards to cost.

scrat

Visit site
Check the small print. We successfully claimed as in the small print it said they would accept claims as a result of "complications of castration". The vet had come out to do a routine castration but we did not know that one testicle was missing. He had the op and it was found and removed. The insurance paid for the op less the cost of a normal castration, about £500.

Cedars

Visit site
Can I ask a stupid question...? How can vets possibly not realise a testicle is missing? Surely you either take two out, or you don't?!?!

starbar

Visit site
I would prefer there to be none there than just 1. There is a good chance they just haven't dropped yet, hang in there for a bit longer!

thatsmygirl

Visit site
Starbar that's my way off thinking as well and I love this little lad so much I really can't wait to see them. He may off been a runt put though the sale ring who people laughed at but I really think in spring when he grows and changes his coat he's going to be a stunner.

cob&onion

Visit site
My colt is 20 months and he is booked in for March, the one he has down is getting larger, but sadly no sign of the other yet..........not much chance of it coming down on its own, plus i have 2 mares so will be kind of stuck in the summer if he still has one!! he is separated at the moment :)