Open dressage saddle with knee rolls.

Mule

Visit site
I'm thinking about getting a dressage saddle in the near future. I like saddles with an open seat. I dislike the very high cantles that dressage saddles tend to have. I feel like I'm trapped in them. I wanted to know if high cantles are useful or is it just a fashion? Should I just try to get used to them?

The thing is I like decent thigh rolls too. Any open seat dressage saddle that I've seen have non existent knee rolls. Does anyone know any saddle makes that have an open seat with knee rolls?

Last edited:

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Wow saddles you can choose on. But if you were looking for something that can be picked up easily second hand, then the ideal Jessica is quite flat with a knee roll - that's what I use for backing for that reason.

Carrottom

Visit site
In the first post did you mean you like thigh rolls or knee rolls or both?
I felt I didn't like the high cantle until I was looking to buy, I sat in a few different saddles and the one I really took to was the Kieffer Piet which if I had looked and not sat on it I definitely wouldn't have chosen.
Really recommend finding lots of saddles to sit on.

Mule

Visit site
In the first post did you mean you like thigh rolls or knee rolls or both?
I felt I didn't like the high cantle until I was looking to buy, I sat in a few different saddles and the one I really took to was the Kieffer Piet which if I had looked and not sat on it I definitely wouldn't have chosen.
Really recommend finding lots of saddles to sit on.
You're right I did mean knee rolls. I think I'll have to try lots of them and see. At least I've a few ideas now.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Thigh rolls are usually front rolls that are placed high up, so often seen on dressage or jumping saddles. Rear blocks are either called that, on everything from dressage and show saddles to some GPs, but the little pimples on jump saddles are calf blocks.

Otherwise would endorse Carrottom and suggest trying a range of saddles that fit your horse and see which you like the best. Personally, as I have a classical dressage background, I like a flat seat and smaller blocks, but everyone is different.