Open fronted or sports boots for XC?!

KatB

Visit site
Just opinions really. Due to numb nut here still having half XC gear down in Glos, and not having had chance to retrieve yet, I have been left without my trusty Prolite XC boots, and have a ODE tomo!!

Now dilemna is this, I have been offered a pair of sports med boots for frontb# legs, or have a pair of open fronted tendon boots. Which would be best?? I like to have the hard tendon guard, so tend to side with the tendon boots, but the SM offer more support???? Ideas much appreciated!
smile.gif

RachelB

Visit site
My friend's pony gets very sweaty in his SMBs, he has to wear them as they're the only ones that stop him shredding his legs apart but after seeing him after a schooling session in those, I wouldn't use them. I'd be inclined to go with risking the fronts of the legs, but then it depends on whether you think the risk of your horse slamming his legs on the fences is worth putting the SMBs on?

vic07

Visit site
I'd go with tendon boots. At least these will prevent a striking injury. Don't know how much support is necessary or will be given by any boot!

KatB

Visit site
Yeah that was my thought too, he always runs in overreach because of "over active" hind legs!! lol!! Just seems "nicer" having wrap around boots...
smirk.gif

Fiona

Visit site
Neither are ideal TBH.
I had a pair of original SM boots, but Ben didn't seem to be able to bend his fetlocks as much in them, so could hear his toes rattling some jumps which was a bit nervewracking.
Have never XC in open fronted boots though have seen it done, but knowing my luck horse would bang itself the first time I did it.
Can you borrow from someone on your yard until you get your own from home??
Fiona

MagicMelon

Visit site
I personally wouldn't use either. Sport boots I dont think give enough hard protection as they're usually just thick material. And Ive never understood people using open fronted tendon boots for XC?! Isnt the idea to PROTECT the legs? I only use them for SJ where they need to feel the fences to stay careful.