Opinion needed on turn out or keep in. . .

Flint12

Visit site
Recently my lad staid at my instructors for a week and he didnt get turned out. He was much more alive this week and was immense to ride.

When i brought him home he started going out at 6 in the eve and coming in at nine in the morn. And understandably(sp) he has lost a bit of his sparkle when ridden.

Through the winter he suffers from mud fever pretty badly.

I was thinking about keeping him in mon-fri and then letting him stay out over the weekend.

Just wondered if it would work or would it just be mean? He usually goes out for six hours (this will depend on sixth form timetable) through the winter.

I was also considering feeding him propell plus through the winter, but im guessing him being kept in and being fed propell plus may cause im to possibly have a little too much energy?

All opinions would be great, and sorry if its written a bit waffly got lots of ideas popping in and out of my head this eve.

Thanks
smile.gif

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I know some people do keep their horses in 24/7 but it's not something I would do. My mare is more excitable when she's stabled all the time but I think that's partly through stress.

I think that horses need turnout time to just 'be horses'. If he needs more sparkle, I would be more inclined to look at his fitness and feeding, if it were me.
smile.gif

shadowboy

Visit site
Personally I would not keep him in all week- its not good for his mental state- hes probably quieter to ride as he is relaxed. Maybe just reduce the turnout time by one or two hours to see if you can reach a happy medium.

Flint12

Visit site
Hmmm thats what i was thinking, i dont really want to keep him in tbh. He is more alive to ride but he can be a bit of a pain.

He has been on a diet for about 2 weeks so hopefully it will make a difference:)

Thanks
smile.gif
smile.gif