Opinions Needed!

crazyconnie

Visit site
We are looking to start a business and just wanted a few answers to some questions:
-What are your main equine purchases?
-Are you more likely to purchase online or in store?
-What is the most you would look to spend on rugs, saddle pads, rider clothing (leggings and base layers)?

planete

Visit site
I purchase everything on line nowadays apart from feed. Most frequent purchases are feed and supplements. Highest spend on rugs around £100. Not buying anything else much apart from occasional renewal of detangler or replacement of bent electric fence posts. I do not buy my clothing from equine suppliers apart from riding helmets and boots. I am probably not a typical consumer though as I am old, do not compete and am not into matchy matchy or any trendy buying.

Quigleyandme

Visit site
I buy almost exclusively online except for feed and bedding. My main purchases are feed, bedding and supplements but my boys are 2 year olds. Spend wise I would spend £250+ on a modular rugging system comprising 100gm liner, 200gm liner, shell and neck cover. Only ever buy out of season/on sale. I only use NuuMed saddle pads so in the region of £50-£80 each. As far as everyday rider clothing goes, I like to look smart but only buy on 30 to 50% off sale, so maybe £40 to £50 on breeches and £30 to £40 on tops that can be seen. I wouldn’t fork out on technical base layers as a Cotton Traders long sleeve tee works for me.

Pedantic

Visit site
Stuff like hoof oil joint supplement creams etc I get online as its more convenient having it delivered, feed bedding rugs flymasks footwear overeach boots and the like I tend to get from the local outlet, as I like to try and support local business if I can.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
I buy balancer (forageplus) and supplements online but generally do most of my shopping in store to support local businesses. I've recently used Amazon vouchers and bought a few things from there but checked they were orders filled by UK companies.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I use local feed store. Since lockdown 1, I've done click and collect which has protected my bank account cut me out of buying extra bits and pieces in the upstairs tack shop.
I only occasionally buy horse stuff on line, 2 or 3 times a year perhaps?

J&S

Visit site
We lost our big feed store a while ago so I have supported a local, newly opened feed outlet for over a year now. They are very good to me and deliver what I need. I would rather not buy on line thanks.

dorsetladette

Visit site
Apart from feed I get everything online.
I very rearly buy anything for myself. Rugs I generally buy second hand.
But I have to say I do miss the mobile tack shop/van that used to visit the yard once a month or so and robinsons in basingstoke was good for a good 'big' shop.

Winters100

Visit site
I spend a lot on feed and supplements, always online and always from the same supplier who is reliable and delivers for free. Feed is included in my livery, but I like to control myself so I buy and make up feeds using some of the included feed and a variety of others according to the horse. Another spend is rugs, I occasionally will buy what I consider an expensive one (usually Rambo) for my mare, but I expect them to last, so these are occasional purchases. For naughty, playful geldings it is cheap and cheerful, usually about euro 100 per rug, and these end up repaired and replaced far more often. Experience has taught me that there is no rug, no matter how expensive, that they are not able to trash, and that the more expensive it is the harder they try. Saddle pads I find that I usually get as gifts, but I also often buy them as gifts for horsey friends along with nice headcollars and polo wraps. I pretty much buy everything online, but if there was a store nearby with a good selection I would gladly use it.

chaps89

Visit site
Feed, bedding and hay come from local suppliers who deliver.
Supplement I buy online as it's not stocked locally and the company are always easy to deal with and quick to deliver.
Rugs I rarely buy but usually online/in a sale/off eBay.
Last bought a numnah at YHL 2 years ago and before that probably 5 years ago?
I don't really buy horsey clothes for me but for boots or hat I'll use the local store as first option, then online if I can't find what I'm after.

Annagain

Visit site
Most regular purchase is feed. I order and pay over the phone from the local agricultural merchant and they deliver. Deliveries to my area are every Tuesday and Friday and as long as you phone by 10 you can get it on those days so it's good for me as I'm disorganised!

Everything else I buy online except for things that need to be fitted e.g. Hats / Body protectors. I tend to wait for big events for those if I can as my local shops don't have much choice, different shops stock different makes so you often have to drive between three or four which are all about 20 miles apart to get the right fit. I did buy a hat online to replace one after a fall as I knew the size and style i needed but it was a disaster due to poor packaging by the company and a postman who threw it over an 8ft gate despite a 'fragile' sticker. I won't be doing that again!

I spend more on horse stuff than on me. The boys get PE rugs as they're the only ones that seem to fit them and to be fair they don't trash them. I only buy Griffin Nuumed numnahs so whatever they cost these days (I haven't bought one for years as they last so well!). I bought a pair of Flexars the other day and had to have a sit down at the thought of spending £60 on riding clothes but I probably spend more time in them than anything else so I talked myself into it! Before that I was a £15 Aldi jodphurs girl but haven't liked the most recent ones.