Opinions of GFS saddles?

Casey76

Visit site
I'm currently borrowing an old (think working hunter?) GFS saddle for my youngster as it is the only saddle on the yard wide enough.

I find it quite comfortable, but it weighs a ton!

I'm not sure of the newer saddles/(new tree?) are any lighter/fit the same.

As I'm in France it is very difficult to see anything other than Stübben or Wintec/Bates or Prestige.

millikins

Visit site
Can't help with advice on newer models but I have an old GP saddle, close contact and so far it's fitted 3 different ponies without any alteration or pads etc. (All saddler checked). So despite being heavy and rather ugly, I'm a big fan.

Greylegs

Visit site
I have a GFS XTC Haflinger saddle which I used to use on my highland until I swapped to a different brand. It has an adjustable tree so have changed the gullet on it in the past. It's a very comfy saddle. (It's also sitting I'm my garage surplus to requirements at the mo if anyone needs it ... )

cronkmooar

Visit site
The really old ones were made by Harry Dabbs and of very good quality. I believe that the newer ones are made in Argentina and not of the same quality.

I had one of the originals and loved it, but then sold it when the horse died. Many years later, when a new horse was being fitted for a new saddle I was discussing this with the sadder and the above info came from him.

I bought a Harry Dabbs which was the exact same saddle that I had originally owned, so its worth having a look at those too

http://www.harrydabbs.co.uk/gp-saddles.htm

Mine is either the Jubilant extra or the classic hunter - the damn names have been changed - but its one that is slightly less forward cut for a GP (VSD cut) so more like a working hunter saddle

The horse that it was fitted to is now retired (shows how long ago it was, it was when he first started doing them in his own name as well as Jaguar) it looks as good as new and will never be sold.

I believe the saddle can be sent back to him and have a new tree fitted for another horse at not too much cost

Last edited:

Charlie007

Visit site
I have a gfs gp. I got it second hand then had it fitted to my tb. It has keep me in the saddle after a few leaps!!! I have only ridden in a dressage saddle for ten years but I am finding this new saddle really comfy

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Crap, the new ones made pressure points on a friends horses back. They were in the same place as the stirrup metal bars and when.pressed from underneath you could feel them easily.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Again mine is slightly older, not sure how old as it came with the horse and I admit I was disappointed and intended to replace it. Tbh though 3 years on I still have it and can't fault it, certainly can't justify buying a new one. I'd definitely look at buying a new GFS after using this one, however I too have heard they are not the same quality any more.

tractor

Visit site
I've got falcon saddles for both of mine (one wide cob, one v wide wb x id) - they're fab, comfy and light enough for me (5'2") to launch on to a 17.2hh. Avoid kent and masters, they're really heavy!

Rhodders

Visit site
I have 2 haflinger exchanges I like them, one for my haffy one for my Welsh d, best changeable gullet saddle I've had, the others I've tried have been awful for my horses and for me