Opinions on a 3yo

PSD

Visit site
I’m not sure..I suppose have to start somewhere with younger horses but I’ve always been a bit of a dreamer but I always work ridiculously hard at something I’m interested in
I think I’ll let her go tho as she was asking 2700 with tack and rugs included I feel a little silly saying it ??‍♀️
its why I wanted to ask here as saying stuff outloud sometimes just makes you think more about what you’re saying
It’s totally your call. May be worth a ride to go and view her, just keep a very open mind and maybe take someone with you. Sometimes a second pair of eyes is very useful

I'm Dun

Visit site
I commented on your other post about red flags in the photo you posted. This would be a hard no from me so I'm glad youve come to that conclusion. How tall/heavy are you? Would a 14.2hh suit you? They tend to be much cheaper and, not always, but usually easier and more forgiving for a first young horse.

Reactions: JBM

JBM

Visit site
I commented on your other post about red flags in the photo you posted. This would be a hard no from me so I'm glad youve come to that conclusion. How tall/heavy are you? Would a 14.2hh suit you? They tend to be much cheaper and, not always, but usually easier and more forgiving for a first young horse.
I’m 5,6 around…8 stone I believe
I realistically should fit a pony but proportionally I’m more leg than torso so I feel very weird on anything smaller than 15.1hh as my legs are waggling below their belly
My current horse is 16hh and I’m in love with her height I feel very comfortable on her but used to ride 15.2hh before buying judy
..I briefly jumped a 14hh horse once and I hit the jump and she didn’t so we don’t talk about it..? (I was light enough just too lanky for her)

JBM

Visit site
Exactly, much wiser to come to this conclusion now than before she's in your field!

Do you have other horses at home already?
I have my 21 year old Judy but she’s semi retired love her to bits Just don’t want to push her to do the things i want to do..she’s one of those horses who would do whatever you asked of her

Reactions: TPO

I'm Dun

Visit site
If you want another one now, it would be worth looking at a 2yr old. They are cheaper and arent usually mucked about by people. You could then have it professionally started either by sending away or having someone come and work with you at home. Or have a look at an ex racer. The risk is much higher for soundness issues with those, but if you pick wisely you could get a very smart horse for a low price. A year off in the field just mooching about would do most straight out of racing the world of good. Then you can work with an instructor to bring them back into work next year.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
Am I the only one that thinks she has been clipped? In the field video as she turns away I think I can see remains of clip on her hind legs. She is the sort of horse I would give a home to but not pay more than a couple of hundred for. No way would I pay the asking price.

TPO

Visit site
I really think people need to stop sharing private videos - They are unlisted on YouTube and sent to OP not publicly-, stop commenting on stranger's horses and if anyone needs to ask the opinion of Internet strangers then they need to stop and find a good experienced person in real life to advise.

I would be so angry if people were sharing private videos to the largest horse forum to have strangers tear them to strips.

If anyone needs to ask if a horse is suitable then it isn't suitable for them. Someone with the experience to bring on a youngster already knows what they are looking at without the input of strangers who also have no idea of the person's own ability. Any horse could be amazing but that's irrelevant if it goes to someone who doesn't have the experience and ability needed for that individual horse.

millikins

Visit site
Am I the only one that thinks she has been clipped? In the field video as she turns away I think I can see remains of clip on her hind legs. She is the sort of horse I would give a home to but not pay more than a couple of hundred for. No way would I pay the asking price.

Yes I saw that, even more likely she's a driven trotter, which is not necessarily a bad thing but indicates a less than honest seller.

JBM

Visit site
I really think people need to stop sharing private videos - They are unlisted on YouTube and sent to OP not publicly-, stop commenting on stranger's horses and if anyone needs to ask the opinion of Internet strangers then they need to stop and find a good experienced person in real life to advise.

I would be so angry if people were sharing private videos to the largest horse forum to have strangers tear them to strips.

If anyone needs to ask if a horse is suitable then it isn't suitable for them. Someone with the experience to bring on a youngster already knows what they are looking at without the input of strangers who also have no idea of the person's own ability. Any horse could be amazing but that's irrelevant if it goes to someone who doesn't have the experience and ability needed for that individual horse.
I got those videos off her Facebook advertisement only way I could show them to you was through privately uploading on my YouTube and sharing..it’s my name you’re seeing I’m giving no personal details
Also not everyone has experienced horse people to ask for advice

millikins

Visit site

I would agree if the pictures/videos were private but both the current discussions are about animals with adverts posted on public selling sites.

TPO

Visit site
I would agree if the pictures/videos were private but both the current discussions are about animals with adverts posted on public selling sites.

I still don't see how that gives anyone the right to share it in here to have unqualified unknowm people to cast aspersions on a horse for sale.

Then they need to find (hire) some because the people who need to ask if a horse is suitable are the same people who need help if they take that horse home before it becomes yet another thread on here about "bought X and now it's lame/unrideable/scaring me" as has happened with previous threads of this nature.

stangs

Visit site
Then they need to find (hire) some
Genuinely curious, how would one go about doing this? I'm lucky to know someone very experienced to use as a 2nd pair of eyes, but, if I didn't, I don't know who I'd contact beyond maybe PMing someone on here. E.g., it's a bit of a strange request to make of an instructor you've never had lessons with before.

TPO

Visit site
Genuinely curious, how would one go about doing this? I'm lucky to know someone very experienced to use as a 2nd pair of eyes, but, if I didn't, I don't know who I'd contact beyond maybe PMing someone on here. E.g., it's a bit of a strange request to make of an instructor you've never had lessons with before.

If you're not partaking I lessons find out if you can go and watch eith different trainers.

Contact local RC/PC and volunteer to help. That creates plenty of opportunities to network and watch lessons to see who's ethos you like. Also an opportunity to see others ride and who is walking the walk.

I think it's harder on here because there are posters who type the right thing buts it's just a regurgitation of someone else's words. They aren't actually walking the walk with their horse for example and for all their talk hooves aren't balanced, tack doesn't fit, horse isn't properly conditioned or fit etc. The Internet is a pretty small place and there's lots out there that doesn't match with what gets put on here. I think thats easy to forget.

Having said thst there are clearly people on here with a good eye for a horse and experience producing them/finding the right team to produce them. The proofs all there in their puddings.

But no matter how good someone is at assessing horses via photos/videos a crucial element is knowing who you are assessing for. Horse X could be perfect for an experienced person ready to progress but just because someone labels themselves as such it doesn't mean that they are.

Thats why a real life experienced, preferably professuonal if unknown, would always be the better option IMO. They'll know the client and what they really need.

Last edited:

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I got those videos off her Facebook advertisement only way I could show them to you was through privately uploading on my YouTube and sharing..it’s my name you’re seeing I’m giving no personal details

I can categorically state that some (not all) of the people who’ve commented on your thread and the other recent one are not people whose experience and opinions I’d be seeking when horse shopping. Sorry if that is harsh, but it’s true and I’d hate for you to take some of the less well founded opinions as gospel.

Whereabouts in Ireland are you?

Reactions: TPO

Smoky 2022

Visit site
If you're not partaking I lessons find out if you can go and watch eith different trainers.

Contact local RC/PC and volunteer to help. That creates plenty of opportunities to network and watch lessons to see who's ethos you like. Also an opportunity to see others ride and who is walking the walk.

I think it's harder on here because there are posters who type the right thing buts it's just a regurgitation of someone else's words. They aren't actually walking the walk with their horse for example and for all their talk hooves aren't balanced, tack doesn't fit, horse isn't properly conditioned or fit etc. The Internet is a pretty small place and there's lots out there that doesn't match with what gets put on here. I think thats easy to forget.

Having said thst there are clearly people on here with a good eye for a horse and experience producing them/finding the right team to produce them. The proofs all there in their puddings.

But no matter how good someone is at assessing horses via photos/videos a crucial element is knowing who you are assessing for. Horse X could be perfect for an experienced person ready to progress but just because someone labels themselves as such it doesn't mean that they are.

Thats why a real life experienced, preferably professuonal if unknown, would always be the better option IMO. They'll know the client and what they really need.
A lot of trainers in Ireland wouldn’t help you look for horses it not like the uk.

JBM

Visit site
I haven’t really heard of it up by me if im being honest but might be more common down the country?
My lesson instructor runs a whole yard so barely has time to herself let alone help me ?

ponynutz

Visit site
I haven’t really heard of it up by me if im being honest but might be more common down the country?
My lesson instructor runs a whole yard so barely has time to herself let alone help me ?

Yeah, to be fair my experience is newtownards way
Vet even might work to be honest.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site

You’re still probably better off putting feelers out with people you know, rather than buying off Donedeal where you really need your wits about you.

ponynutz

Visit site
Last I checked, Donegal was in the Republic.

I don’t understand the recent issue with critiquing publicly posted horse adverts. People use to do it all the time. Should I buy this horse? And not get any flack.

It is, my mistake hands up! Don't live in NI just have family over there and have ridden there during longer stays.