Opinions on Best Bit for early Schooling

horsesense

Visit site
When riding a young horse in the early stages of training, and trying to encourage the horse to seek the contact by riding the horse forwards into quiet hands, what do you think is the better type of bit, one which is relatively still in the horse's mouth and is a steady contact to work into such as a mullen mouth bit, or a jointed and therefore more movable mouthpiece such as a French link? Logically one would imagine that the still mouthpiece would give the horse something definite to seek, but the various jointed, and, therefore, more movable bits seem popular. What do people think?

PorkChop

Visit site
I start mine in a straight Nathe, I prefer a hanging or full cheek because I want the bit to be still in the mouth so that they are happy to accept the contact.

When they are first introduced to a bit when they are being backed, I would be putting the bridle and bit on in their stable every day for half an hour. This probably happens for a couple of weeks in the initial stages and this is when I want them to "play" with the bit.

But to honest I am happy to try any mild bit on a youngster according to their mouth conformation - so I start as mild as I can and slowly work up from there, I would be more likely to change the cheeks of a bit than the mouthpiece.

Visit site
Most of mine start off in a straight plastic but for in-hand classes. I then move onto a jointed full cheek as it is a bit I know best and the sides are handy for steering. Once going forwards and happy I will see if come up into the bridle with that bit or if I need to change it.

Jo1987

Visit site
I started mine in a happy mouth straight bar and he was fine in it but after about 6 months he started chewing through them.
I changed him to a copper lozenge D ring (Eldonian/Jeffries) which goes very well in.

pennyturner

Visit site
Generally the hands will make more difference than the bit, but consider:
Mouth conformation. A thick mouthpiece is more comfortable on the bars, but not if pony doesn't have space for it. Horse with low palate will prefer a straight bar or double jointed bit to a single joint hitting the roof of his mouth.
Cheek-pieces that won't pull through the mouth easily. A full cheek does this well, but can catch on things and be dangerous. A D snaffle is safer.
Comfort materials are great (sweet iron, copper, apple-flavoured plastic or leather covered in molasses - take your pick), but no substitute for positive early associations and training methods.

Clodagh

Visit site
A skinny french link full cheek snaffle is my choice. Always with those little dibbits that hold the cheeks at the right angle, can't bear them without.

Beausmate

Visit site
I like the sweet iron french link bits.. sadly you can't get them in full cheek (grr!) so sweet iron full cheek (jointed)

Ta-da! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Full-Cheek-Snaffle-Sweet-Iron-Mouthpiece-with-French-Link-6-/251337137769

I'm pretty sure Shires used to do them. I couldn't find any in the UK, but there must be some out there...

I started mine in a KK Ultra. A lot of it depends on the horse's preference. I've found some find a straight bit too much of a gobfull, where others get worried about jointed bits.

Last edited:

ponydi

Visit site
Generally the hands will make more difference than the bit, but consider:
Mouth conformation. A thick mouthpiece is more comfortable on the bars, but not if pony doesn't have space for it. Horse with low palate will prefer a straight bar or double jointed bit to a single joint hitting the roof of his mouth.
Cheek-pieces that won't pull through the mouth easily. A full cheek does this well, but can catch on things and be dangerous. A D snaffle is safer.
Comfort materials are great (sweet iron, copper, apple-flavoured plastic or leather covered in molasses - take your pick), but no substitute for positive early associations and training methods.

This - mouth conformation is critical, and of course varies from horse to horse. One size /type doesn't fit all