Opinions on cheaper riding hats?

Tash88

Visit site
Morning,

I have had a Champion Ventair kids hat for years and have bought the same model twice as I liked it so much, plus it looked just like the adult version was just cheaper! However now it needs replacing after quite a few falls in the last few years, and after whacking my head a couple of weeks ago (lunging accident) it just doesn't feel right.

I'm probably going to buy online as I am short of time at the moment and there aren't many good tack shops near me. The Champion one I already have has gone up by £20 since I last bought it and i have also seen a few cheaper ones come onto the market, e.g. Fouganza and Horze. The hat is just for everyday use but it needs to be smart enough for unaffiliated dressage and showing, just low key things. I have tried Charles Owen before and they don't fit my head well, so anything that fits like those are out.

It's been such a long time since I bought a new hat and the market seems to have changed, so I was wondering if any of you had bought a cheaper riding hat and had any opinions on whether they are good or whether I should steer clear?

Thanks in advance, Tash

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
The cheaper ones you do need to make sure they are kitemarked as well as have the standard otherwise you can't use them in competition.

Annagain

Visit site
Check the safety standards. A couple of years ago most organisations changes their rules and some standards are no longer valid for their competitions (although you can still buy them and they're still safe)

If you go to this page and click on the 2019 Hat Tagging Guide for Competitors :http://www.bhs.org.uk/enjoy-riding/british-riding-clubs/brc-downloads it'll show you what you need for competing.

To be honest, if you're buying online, I'd stick to what you know fits your head. I have a very odd shaped head and Champion's the only make that fits me.

Andrew657

Visit site
Your other option may be to consider a cheaper model of the Champion (as you know they fit), I can see the Junior Skulls starting at under £50.

mariew

Visit site
You should replace even after just one decent hit on the head. I once got dumped on concrete, and decided to take the hat apart to see the impact. The polysterene was visibly much thinner (i.e. squashed) and protection would have been much compromised. I would have thought as long as it has the correct up to date safety markings, you will be fine from a safety point of view.

Agree on getting the hat fitted, i have the same issue, very few shapes fit me well so i have to try them.

nikkimariet

Visit site
I'll only wear KEP's these days. Sure I buy the ones with the fancy trims etc because I like it but hats are something I won't skimp on. And that is coming from someone who used to ride without! Your head is very important.

ElectricChampagne

Visit site
I'll only wear KEP's these days. Sure I buy the ones with the fancy trims etc because I like it but hats are something I won't skimp on. And that is coming from someone who used to ride without! Your head is very important.

Its been proven that the more you spend, does not equate to better safety and some of the more expensive hats are not the safest on the market.
Take a look at this

https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/threads/warning-kep-riding-hat-safety-please-open.703085/

a swedish insurance company year on year does safety tests and rates hat brands and models

more information here

https://horse-canada.com/horse-news/helmet-testing-poor-side-impact-protection/

Tarragon

Visit site
I think I would be very wary of buying a riding hat without trying it on first. Even if the you know that the model fitted you last time it cannot be a guarantee a new version would still fit.
Mind you, I wouldn't buy shoes without trying them on first either!

Tarragon

Visit site
I wanted to buy a top quality hat and was prepared to pay for it but came away with a basic skull cap because none of the more expensive brands fitted my head. I was very disappointed.

fredflop

Visit site
IF a cheaper hat meets the same standards and fits better than a more expensive hat, then it will be better than a hat doesn’t fit.

If you have a £30 hat and a £140 hat, they both meet the same standards, then they are both equally as safe

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site

Palindrome

Visit site
I wanted to buy a top quality hat and was prepared to pay for it but came away with a basic skull cap because none of the more expensive brands fitted my head. I was very disappointed.

Skull caps give the best protection of all hats I think.

I have one with a dial at the back, they are very adaptable. I bought it online in a sale, it's a Gatehouse. It looks nice, wouldn't protect as much as a skull cap but i don't fit well into skull caps.

Shay

Visit site
BETA's guide to exactly what the different standrads mean is here http://www.beta-uk.org/media/safety...ts A5 2 pager to go as insert in nehellip.pdf

This was published before MIPS hats became a thing but is really illuminating about what the different standards actually mean. Which actually is surprisingly little.

Look very seriously at what the hat is actually tested against and ask yourself - is this really like the incidents you might encounter if you fall? It doesn't mater if the hat is cheap or expensive - but if it doesn't meet the highest possible standard... why would you risk your head?

Starzaan

Visit site
You MUST get a hat fitted properly. Having had to do my hat fitting training for work when we launched our line of hats, I now feel incredibly lucky to have not had a serious accident or injury whilst wearing a poorly fitted hat.

As long as a hat is kitemarked and safety tested (PAS015 is the key in the UK) then it is safe. Doesn’t matter if it’s £20 or £2000 - they all go through the same safety testing.

BETA safety week is coming up - lots of opportunity to get a hat fitted and get some advice from people who know what they’re talking about.

Shay

Visit site
Umm... they really are not all tested the same way.

PAS 015 1998 is tested in a staightforwad drop onto a surface and a low degree of crush. The PAS 2011 drops onto a blunt edged surface simulating a kerb but is otherwise the same. SNELL tests to a higher impact standard, tests to a sharp edged anvil to simulate a blow from a hoof and onto a hemisperical anvil to simulate a rough surface. ASTM hats test as SNELL but without the penetration test - which is why they can have large holes. None test the impact of rotational acceleration (and this is not yet scientifically validated) but that is the point behind the MIPS helmets.

But absolutely right to get it correctly fitted!

Tash88

Visit site
Thank you all for the replies and links - very interesting and I have learnt a lot!

Just goes to show how much hats have changed since I last bought one; a friend and I are going to go on a little road trip to a posh tack shop a bit further away to get one fitted; they have a wide range for all different budgets apparently so will see if I can get something!

I have a much safer horse now so hopefully if I buy something expensive I won't have to replace it in the near future. I think I'll be taking my current hat apart when I get a new one just to see if any damage has been done!

Thanks again, Tash x

Starzaan

Visit site
Umm... they really are not all tested the same way.

PAS 015 1998 is tested in a staightforwad drop onto a surface and a low degree of crush. The PAS 2011 drops onto a blunt edged surface simulating a kerb but is otherwise the same. SNELL tests to a higher impact standard, tests to a sharp edged anvil to simulate a blow from a hoof and onto a hemisperical anvil to simulate a rough surface. ASTM hats test as SNELL but without the penetration test - which is why they can have large holes. None test the impact of rotational acceleration (and this is not yet scientifically validated) but that is the point behind the MIPS helmets.

But absolutely right to get it correctly fitted!

Ooh that's really interesting - thank you! I had no idea how different they were. Thank you for correcting me :)