Opinions on feet!

soloequestrian

Visit site
Hopefully I've attached pictures as a pdf file.
Fixable? Supposed to be seedy toe, superficial cracks. I would look to rehab barefoot with good support from my trimmer. Asking her but she's on holiday and I need to make a decision about viewing fairly soon!

Attachments

• B feet.pdf
    127 KB · Views: 183

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Is it sound?

I'd want that to be very cheap, myself, the hoof quality is dire. ETA and it looks so long standing that the coronet has been damaged.

PurBee

Visit site
Superficial crack? That front crack runs the entire length of the front of the front hoof, up into the coronet band.
Looks like the farrier tried to patch it with resin to stop it moving but that rarely works, especially if the horse is still being ridden.
Cracks that run the entire kength and are up into the coronet are trickier than superficial just wall cracks.
There’s some new techniques for sorting bad full length cracks like that but your trimmer needs to be aware of them. Effectively you ’stitch’ with wire up along the length of the crack to stop the flexion of the wall moving the crack, and then resin bond over the stitching. Aswell as take wall length right down to avoid ground pressure on the crack too.

Unfortunately i *personally* dont think relieving the toe of pressure by rasping back wall is going to be enough for that crack. Ive dealt with similar and they are so tricky.

So if youre wanting this horse for riding immediately, id pass it up and find one with more solid hooves. If youre prepared for down time, and the rest of the horse is fab, its worth considering.

PurBee

Visit site
Thanks anymay, i didnt see see the white hoof aswell! Gosh….thats some serious remedial work required. Not impossible but if op wants to get working with the horse after buying, that’ll affect progress.

soloequestrian

Visit site
Is it sound?

I'd want that to be very cheap, myself, the hoof quality is dire. ETA and it looks so long standing that the coronet has been damaged.
Yes, I have film to show soundness including jumping. I wondered about the coronet - perhaps the crack comes from damage rather than the other way on. 'Superficial' meant that they don't go through the hoof wall. I just read a Rockley article about a horse who had cracks that meant that the hoof capsule wasn't really held together - these don't sound that bad. The horse wouldn't need to go into work in any hurry.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Yes, I have film to show soundness including jumping. I wondered about the coronet - perhaps the crack comes from damage rather than the other way on. 'Superficial' meant that they don't go through the hoof wall. I just read a Rockley article about a horse who had cracks that meant that the hoof capsule wasn't really held together - these don't sound that bad. The horse wouldn't need to go into work in any hurry.

If that was Nick's own horse Bailey her feet were a lifelong struggle due to bench knees and a protein absorption issue.

I would want one foot at a time blocked on that horse to prove it was sound, those are NOT superficial and what's more one foot is crumbling/delaminating over a substantial area.

I would take the horse only at a very low price, but in this market all bets are off. .

TPO

Visit site
If it was cheap and you could afford to take a punt and be prepared to retire or pts sift it didnt work out then fair dos.

Have a look at Wild at Hoof Equine Podiatry and Hoof Geek pages on facebook. I'm sure I saw some "transformation" pictures recently of a bad full length crack. I *think* it took well over a year and there are no quick fixes to growing out a hoof especially one that is unstable with such bad cracks.

Are you having the horse vetted?

I'm Dun

Visit site
I'd only spend money I could afford to lose but if I wanted a rehab project I'd give it a go. I have an amazing trimmer and she would love to get her hands on something like that!

Reactions: TPO

tristar

Visit site
it depends what is causing those cracks, injury at the coronet, nutritional, and it looks like there is several things going on at the same time, if its bilaterally unsound it may look sound

those cracks are probably so deep, all through the wall of the hoof, you would be risking pedal bone infections etc if you turn out in mud

not saying with right nutrition you cant do something with it, if fact i hope you do try so we can see what happens and for the horses sake

soloequestrian

Visit site
Plan is to start by seeing it in the flesh. All your input has definitely made me think and if I do go ahead there will be some serious price negotiation!

Casey76

Visit site
After reviewing the photos further, I actually think the striped hoof is the more compromised. The crack goes up to a defect in the coronary band, and this is echoed as the hoof growth continues how the dorsal wall. There is significant quarter flare which is then followed by the wall being ‘sucked in’ as you head towards the toe quarters.

I would be concerned that this foot had a pedal bone defect, either a large crena, or a defect from pedal osteitis or even a keratoma.

I definitely think this hoof could be helped by removing the shoes, but rehab would need to be extensive, and I would also say that a dorsal wall resection to excise the damaged horn around the crack before treating with oxine or cleantrax would be warranted.

In other words... this is a gnarly foot, and I’m not sure i would want to buy it.

D80DBF5C-723F-446E-90DE-8A5900B90B89.jpeg

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
This could also be caused by a lifetime of unbalanced hooves. I would put money on those feet having weak digital cushions and frogs and probably a toe first landing.

Reactions: TPO