Opinions on 'horses being horses'....

SVMel

Visit site
Hi all!

Saw some pics today that got me thinking. They were of an international showjumpers horses just chilling in their stables, pics taken this week. All the horses were wearing thick night rugs, rambo's and the such like.

Now I know that a lot of the top horses are kept clipped all year round, and they are fairly busy, but it got me thinking about the issue. My horses are clipped out from early autumn through til spring, and rugged, as are a lot of people's on here, but mine just seem to appreciate being rugless, and are much happier in summer when they are naked. I know both they and I couldn't stand it if they were rugged in summer too.

So my question is this. Are horses kept in this way (clipped and rugged all year round) any better off than those that go 'eau natural' so to speak, or do you think they're worse off, either physically or mentally?

I don't know of any reason why they're kept like this. Where I worked the riding school horses were only ever clipped in winter, did up to 4 hours a day regularly all year even in high heat, and non lost condition through excessive sweating etc. And I know there are more competitive riders choosing to keep their horses more naturally, living out, going barefoot etc.

Interesting thought.....

fjordhorsefan

Visit site
My horse hates having rugs on all the time, so personally I would never subject him to rugging in the summer. He has a fly rug, but even that gets hauled off if possible!

Personally, and this is only my opinion, most horses that are rugged in the summer (not fly rugs, boetts, etc) are rugged for the convenience of the owner, not the horse. They can grow perfectly acceptable coats on their own without our help!

xRobyn

Visit site
Phil detests being stabled so he isn't unless he has to be (for health reasons). he did himself more damage when he went lame as a youngster box walking than he did out in the field! He has been injured twice by other horses, once on the yard and once in the field. He is in a stable herd and it suits him perfectly. He was rugged for the first time last winter purely for human reasons (cleanliness etc) but was clipped to suit his workload.

fidleyspromise

Visit site
The Arab X that I had was rugged every winter and kept in at nights. When I took him home, I put his rug on but he started getting narky so I left it off during the day and although in at night - he had no rug on and he grew a wooly coat for the first time, put on very good condition and seemed generayll much happier in himself so if I can get away with it, I keep them with rugs off.

My friend's cob however, shivers with the rain and wind and so he is rugged in winter and does see much happier with this otherwise he is miserable without it.

Each horse will feel differently and while some may require their rugs, I think a lot of them could go without (or with lighter rugs). I've seen some yards where the owner has every rug going and changes it on a day to day basis. Will 50g REALLY make that much difference? I have a light, medium and heavy weight and on the absolute worst days my pony gets her lightweight on - she spins in circles when she's cold!

Paint it Lucky

Visit site
I hate seeing horses in rugs when it's not nessecary too! Fair enough if it's a fly rug but I don't like to see horses rugged up in summer, they must get so hot :( There is a competition yard near me that insists on rugging the horses all year round, to keep them clean, the rugs will only come off if the horses are actually sweating under them. Most of the horses are half asleep all the time because they're so hot :(

thatsmygirl

Visit site
My own horses aren't rugged in summer but are in winter or on cold wet summer evenings. The race horses are rugged every night to keep their coats in tip top condition. None off them sweat so isn't a issue. My hunter has a sheet on now during the day as she's getting ready for hunting and keeps her coat shiney, it's like a mirror.

wellsat

Visit site
Lil doesn't wear rugs in summer unless it's really chucking it down all day as I think its much nicer for them to be natural.

She's not allowed to be a horse in a completely natural state though as she can't cope mentally with living in a herd environment.

So while I do like horses to be able to live like horses it doesn't suit everyone. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would think that keeping them on their own is wrong but it works for her.

Echo Bravo

Visit site
Over 30 years ago I with many BHS members listened to a top notch horse dealer, who sold many sj and evt horses said he rugged his horses, not with the thick rugs but layered as it cost him less to feed them as they didn't burn off their weight as air was trapped in between the layers, so I imagine they also keep the muscles warm.

Nyfain

Visit site
My horse is left naked when in the stable atm, but when turned out must have a fly rug if dry or rain sheet if wet, as he's allergic to fly bites and he gets rainscald. I don't like seeing horses blatantly over rugged, but I also don't like people who don't know me or my horse judging my choices of rug. Not saying that's what you're doing - just that there are sometimes good reasons for people to rug during summer. :)

thatsmygirl

Visit site
Over 30 years ago I with many BHS members listened to a top notch horse dealer, who sold many sj and evt horses said he rugged his horses, not with the thick rugs but layered as it cost him less to feed them as they didn't burn off their weight as air was trapped in between the layers, so I imagine they also keep the muscles warm.

I always layer in winter, never use just one thick rug.

Frances144

Visit site
I keep horses and ponies who are best suited to the environment I live in. I do not have stables for my horses, they all live out. We have one rug for a rescue French sausage but he is the exception.

I feel sorry for the horses that are brought up here (Shetland) to live in stables with rugs fed mix and food 24/7 who never get to go outside because they would not survive.

So, I repeat, I keep horses and ponies who are best suited to the environment I live in. I have Icelandic horses and Shetland ponies. When it snows, they laugh and play and dig for their food. I like horses to be as natural as possible because when I ride and train them, I get a happy horse with no hang-ups but one that is happy in his environment. I am not a hippy about my training - just a realist about where I live.

They do not stand and shiver and fail to thrive.

stargirl88

Visit site
about 4 years ago I was sharing an IDx TB... she did have him clipped, but even on nights that it wasn't cold, she insisted I put a duvet on under his super-thick stable rug! it just isn't necessary!

I dont clip my mare and she has to stay in a sweet itch rug but when I take it off the first thing she does (even in winter when I remove rugs) is run over to the nearest horse and have a good groom :)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I'm afraid I think that in the main horses are rugged for their owners' convenience, winter or summer. Obviously some horses are special cases and DO need rugs, whether fly rugs for sweetitch sufferers or rugs for warmth for the vulnerable. My own have been known to wear them in some circumstances. particularly the elderly, and they all have a complete set of rugs available but only wear them when they REALLY need them, not just to keep their coats shiny. As we work long hours and have no school available, we really only ride at the weekend in winter, so do not clip our horses and tbh would only feel it to be necessary for particularly hard work such as hunting.

ETA, ours too love to scratch each other if they have had to have rugs on for any reason!

Booboos

Visit site
If a horse is cold it should have a rug, if it's not cold then there is no need. I don't see this as a 'competition horse thing', or a 'natural horse' thing, just basic welfare.

Ride_2_Live

Visit site
I work at yard, breeding and producing show ponies, thoughout the season, they rarely if ever have a rug off! :( They go out for just a couple of hours a day in heavy/medium weight (some even with necks) turn outs and when they are in have 1,2,3 or even 4 rugs on (particularly leading up to the big shows). If the weather is excpetionally warm they wear white canvas sheets but will never be left without a rug on for any length of time. It keeps their coats right down and shiny and their weight up for the show ring. To be honest, they actually dont sweat very much at all, must be because they are conditioned to it I guess but it still doesnt seem right to me. The biggest issue for them I would say from experience is that they get very itchy from not being able to have a good scratch and rub. Whats sadder is the fact that come winter, majority of them are turned away and left with no/less rugs than in the summer. Its all very back to front!
Let horses be horses I say! I love coming home to my naked filthy boy out in the field with a smile on his face :)

Kellys Heroes

Visit site
Kelly was clipped last winter but just under her neck, nowhere else because she was sweaty after work. She was in a stable rug (just one! mediumweight) over winter and now the only rugs she has on are a fly rug or her waterproof in the field if its bucketing it down and I want to keep her dry for the day :)
not really adverse to anything if a horse needs clipping all year round, it will have to have rugs on - what I don't like is unnecessary rugging :(

Buzz1

Visit site
I live in Scotland and it has been raining for the last 3 weeks if i didn't have a waterproof on my TB I would never get to ride as he'd be soaked to the skin. He also in the winter had loads of rugs on due to the fact he wouldn't stable at night, all the other horses (Cob's, native ponies) were out day and night except when it was snowing really bad. I had to bring him in for a week as he had a bad cut on his leg and the weight fell off him as he was box walking. So yes many may have thought him over rugged but I found it better for his peace of mind to have him well rugged up and wintering out with his friends.

natalia

Visit site
We have a few clipped in the summer and one of mine is clipped all year round. Normally because the coat is too thick and when in heavy comp work, they can't cope and get very sweaty too quickly, making working them properly difficult. I then obv. have to rug up if temp drops as they have no coat to keep them warmer at night.

NeedNewHorse

Visit site
I hate to see over rugging... And it's one of those things that people do for their own convenience and don't think about the poor horse once again..
x

catkin

Visit site
We don't use rugs in the summer unless the horses come in very wet and cold when the 26 year old seems to appreciate a thermatex to dry off quick.

The Sec D 'rolls her own' - straight down into the bed to get covered in shavings:)

tabithakat64

Visit site
I don't like to see over rugging personally. It's just another sign of bad management in my opinion.

My cob is a 'hot' horse so even when he's clipped he only wears a rain sheet and is out for 12 hours over night regardless of the weather.

My pony is in her twenties and also out over night through the winter, the most she wore last year was a medium weight. I check and see if she's cold but like my cob she seems to dislike the wet more than the cold.

MinskiKaii

Visit site
I hate seeing horses rugged especially in the summer when they don't need it. Totally agree they should be able to have a good roll. My old YO rugs her's all year round, why, and these are her words 'she a princess!' :eek:

Mine are only clipped in the winter if I am riding though the week as well as the weeked. If they aren't clipped they aren't rugged in the winter.

It is only now Minski is old that she gets rugged in the winter, she doesn't like being rugged and even now at 29 will make a sharp exit if she spots her rug before I catch her!! We had few years when she was rugged in the worst weather, but now its all winter.

JenHunt

Visit site
Ron doesn't seem to mind either way. hes not a fan of actually being clipped, but once it's done he's happy enough to have rugs on, and seems to enjoy the fuss that goes with being rugged.
Tom loves being rugged, mostly cos it means he's the centre of your attention! he is really bothered by flies so he loves his fly rug and calls out to it when you bring it out of the shed to go on!

They are only clipped in the winter, Ron for hunting (full clip) and Tom has a neck and belly as he gets mud fever in his elbows :eek: cos he's such a mucky horse and he's got quite a thick coat so it's much easier to keep him clean and dry for the little work he does.

JVB

Visit site
Mine vary... they love rugs on in winter as like being warm and dry when out, they love having them off in summer so can roll and get dirty, they also love having fly rugs on when horse flys kick in, so depends on the rugs and reasons and the horse I suppose

teddyt

Visit site
I saw a show pony at a show at the weekend with a rug on. It was ridiculously hot.

Rugging in summer is usally for the benefit of the owner- to save time cleaning! A LW turnout on a turned out horse is acceptable if the horse is old or thin but horses dont need rugs on to stable or at a competition.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Oo, good question!

I see rugs as a useful tool only.

If it's muddy and I need to show my horse next day, he's rugged up to the ears looking like Robin. It's only for one night.

If it's >0degrees and I feel sorry for them I put on a wug each & rugged in stable for stain prevention measures (I'm allowed I have a whitey!! :p)

If he's soaked and needs to come in, I'll slip on a wicker for steam drying purposes.

If travelling, he gets a waffle to soak up the sweat and protect his coat.

Other than that, the coat gets to live a free range lifestyle where possible. And pretty soon, so will his feet :D

If I had an Andalusian, I would consider a rugging regime for winter as they don't do cold so well as the natives.... :rolleyes:

I have a put a question over the heads of TBs. I have seen some who winter well being allowed to grow a winter coat (after all they are descendants of draught type) but some who don't or aren't allowed to IYKWIM.

katie_and_toto

Visit site
Toto is out 24/7 at the moment, he wears a fly rug most of the time but I would never put proper rugs on him in summer. I'd rather let him be a horse and have a good roll than keep him clean!

In winter he is hunter clipped, out during the day and in at night, and he is rugged up, but he is a wimp and gets cold easily, so in the coldest part of winter he's normally in two layers, this is what's best for him and it keeps him nice and toasty :) IMO this is not over-rugging or rugging for my own convienience, he still manages to get covered in mud anyway :D

MagicMelon

Visit site
I personally think its always better to leave a horse unclipped and un-rugged, but of course there are times when they need to be for their own comfort (for example, competition horses - I clip mine over the winter as he BSJA's, but I make sure he lives out 24/7 so he's rugged instead). I think it depends on what you do with the horse etc. but I think unrugged is always best if possible. And definately hate over-rugging.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Absolute minimum as far as I'm concerned. My TB hates rugs so I try to keep it to a minimum. He wears nothing all summer (he's out at night in during the day).
In winter he has a turnout when clipped and a stable rug but I always seem to be the last one to rug and the first to start leaving them off.

One winter when we were struggling with allergies, vets advised leaving rugs off while we were trying to identify triggers, he was on box rest at the time and not clipped but it was during a snowy spell. His coat fluffed up to trap air and he snuggled into his straw and he was absolutely fine. Since then I have rugged alot less.

SVMel

Visit site
Wow, lots of replies!!!!

I think I should have pointed out that it's only SUMMER rugging in stables 24/7 I was talking about, (see the bit that says'pics taken this week', its been 26-28ish degrees C a lot here) I have NO issue whatsoever with rugging for winter, wet, cold etc!!!! Do it myself!!!!!!!!!!

The yard I was talking about has EVERY horse and pony rugged with a thick stable rug at the moment.

As one for treating the horse as an individual, and tending to its individual needs, I'm wondering 'What's that all about' lol!!!!!!!

I know most people realised this, some didn't!!!!! But as ever, all opinions gladly read :D