Opinions on sons of Cruising and Master Imp at stud?

TheEventer

New User
Visit site
I'm interested in any of these guys to breed an upper level eventer, out of a good TB mare who has already produced an advanced horse. Any opinions?

Honour Cruise
Cruise On
Cougar
Bahrain
Cruising's Mickey Finn

Or are there any sons of Master Imp with semen available outside of Ireland? (Assuming you can't get Kings Master frozen?)

DonkeyClub

Visit site
Honestly I think Cruise on is the only one that has shown some potential to match up to Cruising, as for the others I would probably look elsewhere as they do not seem to have the same genetic potency as Cruising did

Last edited:

HBM1

Visit site
My favourite of those is Cruising's Mickey Finn. I love the look of him, he has a lot of power and proven talent.

MiniMilton

Visit site
I used Cougar in 2003, didnt get a live foal though. The Irish Horse Register stallion book lists progeny with a performance record, and states the stallions own performance record. I happen to have the 2011 stallion book to hand. It says Cougar has 2 offspring with FEI points in international competition (eventing) they are Catsky and Culcha Candela 2. Cougar only accumulated 42 SJ points.
CruiseOn has 3, they are Gordonstown (aka Black Run), picnic cruise and seapatrick cruise cavalier.
It doesnt have any listed for Cruisings Micky Finn, but it is slightly dated. He does have a much better performance record himself though at 1081 points. (although CruiseOn was retired young due to a stable injury, only 95 points)

I dont know any of the progeny, just typing what it says in the book beside me!

Ard Cherrymount stud used to stand Cruise on, which is where I saw him. They have him on their website www.irelandhorse.com and some progeny listed

TheEventer

New User
Visit site
Any sons of Master Imp available? (Other than Kings Master and Golden Master, who are wonderful but I believe not available via frozen semen.)

JCWHITE

Visit site
Hollins Hall seems to have disappeared a bit, off the radar, or as far as I can suss out.
I will e mail the Stud where he was, or maybe is !!
(Sending you some pics Rollin!)

eventrider23

Visit site
Hollins Hall seems to have disappeared a bit, off the radar, or as far as I can suss out.

Hollins Hall is a bit of an odd one....The fact is he was brought over and produced initially by Oli Townend....after he failed his grading he went to JP Sheffield for a while and last season was back with Oli. My reservations about him would be 1) He was initially owned/produced by one of the biggest names eventing studs in the country who stand their own stallions so why don't they stand him themselves?? In addition he is now back with Oli for the past year and wasn't t stud with the Harthill boys even then. 2) He has had 2 internationally renowned event riders producing him and in 4 seasons of eventing is still at Novice level....Oli had him for the full 2013 season and he did one Int witha decent dressage and then 4 down SJ and time XC and after that went back to Novice. Now Oli at least is not one to hang around at lower levels for long if the horse can move up and so that begs the question for me of why. I can understand when a horse is not with a professional rider staying at the lower levels for some time as they haven't the experience, etc to move them up but he is a horse that has had the opportunities and so I would like to know the why.

Last edited:

Replay

Visit site
Just make sure you check temperament of cruising bloodline. Had one with amazing ability but massive buck and was told that sometimes they could be a pro's ride....

Zebe

Visit site
Does anyone have anything by Jackaroo? or know anything on his temperament? I think he would really suit one of my mares. Any info would be really helpful? He didn't make the approved stallion book due to an injury but that not gonna effect offspring.

no_no_nanette

Visit site
I saw Jackaroo when I went to visit William Micklem a couple of years ago, and he's a very nice well put-together stallion with a great temperament - not one of those "look at me" types, but then see what his line has produced, and maybe performance matters more than in-your-eye charisma! His offspring (and there will not be that many of them as he's currently not in the HSI approved stallion book) are currently too young to be able to judge whether he will reproduce the success of his sire and dam through their stock, but there's every promise that he will. Why don't you contact William Micklem to talk to him about it, he's incredibly friendly and helpful?

Rollin

Visit site

Thanks received your lovely pics. I have much to tell you and not had the time yet to type it all up.

Zebe

Visit site
nanette, thank you for the info, yes i will give him a bell! Im gonna have a look at another stallion not too far from WM for a different mare so be good to see Jackaroo on that same trip. It is a bit of risk, & quite a wait to see how his offspring perform. On paper he looks great tho & should suit my mare. I'll know when i see him. So keeping him on my short list till then :)

Alec Swan

Visit site
OP, if I had a mare such as yours, and were I to breed agin, I'd be looking at the Haras de Bruelmaile (sp?) horses. First class horses, first class service from the owners, and short of the effective costs, NFNF.

A mare that has previously produced the goods should be given serious thought.

Alec.

no_no_nanette

Visit site
nanette, thank you for the info, yes i will give him a bell! Im gonna have a look at another stallion not too far from WM for a different mare so be good to see Jackaroo on that same trip. It is a bit of risk, & quite a wait to see how his offspring perform. On paper he looks great tho & should suit my mare. I'll know when i see him. So keeping him on my short list till then :)

It will be interesting to hear your thoughts when you've seen him in person. So unlucky for William that because of his early injury he couldn't be ridden or jumped, so can't be approved as a Book 1 stallion until there's a record of achievements by his offspring

Zebe

Visit site
Sorry nan, i only just saw this! Yes it is a great shame. Thats my only reservation but meeting him could swing my decision. Another on my shortlist: puissance but my mare would need about 7/8 tb he's only about 72%tb i think, or do go for it and hope for a filly to breed from!?! He's not gonna be around forever. Back to Jackaroo.. I saw photo of a lovely filly yearling by jackaroo on WM website, she looks quite impish very pretty! Do you or anyone have any idea of jackaroo's height?

Last edited:

Lark

Visit site
Sorry nan, i only just saw this! Yes it is a great shame. Thats my only reservation but meeting him could swing my decision. Another on my shortlist: puissance but my mare would need about 7/8 tb he's only about 72%tb i think, or do go for it and hope for a filly to breed from!?! He's not gonna be around forever. Back to Jackaroo.. I saw photo of a lovely filly yearling by jackaroo on WM website, she looks quite impish very pretty! Do you or anyone have any idea of jackaroo's height?

We have a cavalier mare in foal to Jackaroo. Chose him as really needed as much blood as possible from a proven line. We chose him on the merits of High Kingdom and Mandiba. Probably better to look at his progeny and let them rule rather than Jackaroo himself. He is small (did not thrive as a young horse) his leg is damaged due to a prior injury but is quality, has a beautiful head and lovely temperament. Not sure what we are going to get but thought it was worth a punt :)

jaffs

Visit site

I saw a cracking 4 year old by Puissance last year. Very tempted to buy him but sadly it would have meant divorce! He was a lovely stamp of a horse though and had serious talent with a character to die for.

Lark

Visit site
I saw a cracking 4 year old by Puissance last year. Very tempted to buy him but sadly it would have meant divorce! He was a lovely stamp of a horse though and had serious talent with a character to die for.

For the OP. Jackaroo and Puissance are standing at the same stud so handy to see both at the same time too.

Zebe

Visit site
Lark, I think thats way to think if using him, everything seems to direct towards him being worth a punt :)should be a great foal with your cavalier. When you say small & did not thrive as a young horse do you think his genes could throw bigger? if that makes sense! Just out of interest how big is your mare? I sound like ive an obsession with height:p I'm thinking to use him with a 16.1hh Rantis Diamond mare, like your mare she really does need the blood. It's handy that the 2 stallions are at the same place, i didn't know that, are they in co. wexford or co. kilkenny? fingers crossed for the nearest :)

Last edited:

Zebe

Visit site
Jaffs. Hmm i know that feeling!! I saw a lovely well bred mare just last wk, was so tempted, actually can't stop thinking about her, think she would be perfect for Puissance! Just to add to the menagerie I got a new mare and a puppy a wk before christmas, so it's a little bit too soon to announce that im looking at something else. life wouldn't be worth living!

Last edited:

Lark

Visit site
Lark, I think thats way to think if using him, everything seems to direct towards him being worth a punt :)should be a great foal with your cavalier. When you say small & did not thrive as a young horse do you think his genes could throw bigger? if that makes sense! Just out of interest how big is your mare? I sound like ive an obsession with height:p I'm thinking to use him with a 16.1hh Rantis Diamond mare, like your mare she really does need the blood. It's handy that the 2 stallions are at the same place, i didn't know that, are they in co. wexford or co. kilkenny? fingers crossed for the nearest :)

He is small. 15.2/15.3 maybe. However William and Michael said he is throwing much rangier stock.
Puissance is actually very impressive. He looked completely different to what I imagined. He is quite short coupled and powerful. Pretty too :)
Last News is there too and I couldn't believe it when I saw him. Full TB but looked nearly draught! Not exactly pretty but he seems to be doing a good enough job as an eventing sire.
There are about 3/4 other stallions too including Kroongraaf, Innocent, Royale Concorde and one other that escapes me :)

Lark

Visit site
The one other that escapes you is the rather phenomenal Hermes De Reve!

Nations Cup horse, GP winner, sire of international eventers and showjumpers and half brother to Pacino

Oh God Hermes wasn't even the one I was thinking off! It was Passion.

Hangs head in shame to have forgotten Hermes! One of my most favourite stallions. Such an amazing temperament. I did try to get one in foal to him before but sadly was not mean't to be.