Opinions on this horse

EllieandGeorge

Visit site
As a project?

http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/107249690/153-4yo-chestnut-mare-for-sale.html
Its the 'chestnut mare' bit putting me off! I have no problem with them... but would be a bring on and do a bit of low level competing type project and sell. I just don't know what I think about it! Would prefer something a bit chunkier but haven't seen anything that I like local enough to me, and it seems like a genuine little horse. Thanks for any replies!

luckyoldme

Visit site
im not really experienced enough to give anyone advice..but photo 2..what s the point? Picture of horse in a rug covering up all the bits you need to see. picture 3 again pointless picture . They ve been honest enough to warn off novices but If theres nothing you really like closer why not widen the net?

NaeNae87

Visit site
The pictures aren't doing her any justice. Maybe contact the seller and ask if they have any better ones? Ridden, from a good angle or with out rugs on covering up her conformation. Video showing her 3 lovely paces would be good, if not unders saddle then lunged.

I can see why you are umm-ing and aahh-ing. She sounds nice enough, but there isn't really anything to back it up.
Call the seller, ask for more/better pics or even better - go and see her. :)

FfionWinnie

Visit site
What is a Scottish Sports Horse when its at home then.

Apparently "The SSH is an “Open” studbook. This means that any sports horse or pony can be registered with the SSH regardless of breed, colour or height."

So... Any old thing then?!

The advert is terrible and the pictures show nothing.

If its local go and look but I wouldn't go out my way if that's the best they can do!

Auslander

Visit site
£1000 for a reasonably well-bred youngster, who has been out and done a bit, and appears to have been competently ridden - worth a look. The photos are rubbish, but if the mare has captured your interest, why not go and have a look.

I remember the days when lineage ads without photos were the norm, one grainy photo was astounding, and video was unheard of - and we still managed to buy decent horses!

EllieandGeorge

Visit site
What is a Scottish Sports Horse when its at home then.

Apparently "The SSH is an “Open” studbook. This means that any sports horse or pony can be registered with the SSH regardless of breed, colour or height."

So... Any old thing then?!

The advert is terrible and the pictures show nothing.

If its local go and look but I wouldn't go out my way if that's the best they can do!

This is what Im thinking at the moment... going to go and have a look as she isn't too far from me. I like the look of her in the Jumping pic as she looks a bit more sports horse-like, maybe just very under muscled in the others?

TableDancer

Visit site
£1000 for a reasonably well-bred youngster, who has been out and done a bit, and appears to have been competently ridden - worth a look. The photos are rubbish, but if the mare has captured your interest, why not go and have a look.

I remember the days when lineage ads without photos were the norm, one grainy photo was astounding, and video was unheard of - and we still managed to buy decent horses!

Totally agree :) If they were asking two or three times the price I would agree you might expect better photos etc but really for £1,000 think the buyer can be expected to go the extra mile to see whether it is indeed a bargain, or whether the price reflects the quality :rolleyes:

ajf

Visit site
Personally I think she looks pretty nice for the price! Yes the photos aren't great, but at least there are photos!

If she's local I would be calling up and going to see her ASAP.

Good luck

Nosey

Visit site
Yes I agree..see her in the flesh & you may find a bargain..the adverts prob put quite a few people off! Love the fact she is well bread ;-)

Pigeon

Visit site
The pictures really don't give anything away :eek: Nothing looks hideously wrong as far as I can tell!! I would go and see her in the flesh :) Not sure what Scottish Sport Horse entails, tb x scottish native breed? Or just a sport horse bred in Scotland? Worth a visit anyway I would say :) Liver chestnuts are very pretty!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Its worth a look.

I'm fascinated by the fact that she was "bread for showjumping!"

I've seen Scottish Sport Horse Society at Agricultural Shows sometimes. I think they're trying to encourage horses bred in Scotland from good stallions based there, if I remember rightly. I remember thinking it was a bit like a blue or white passport with the ISH..

Mavis007

Visit site
I always think a cheap horse from someone who doesn't know how to put a decent advert together is much more likely to be a proper bargain than a cheap horse from someone who clearly knows what they are doing and are just trying to get rid of something quick which has major problems....!!!