Opinions on this potential horse for dressage please....

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
A lot of money for a horse that doesn't move straight and looks very stiff and behind the leg.

Buyers market at the moment and £12k for a horse that would struggle to get 60% and be limited to do anything but dressage seems excessive.

I know nothing about this breed though, so may be talking rubbish.

I actually know this horse, he belongs to a friend of mine, he has already gained well over 60%.

He is a very well bred horse who has also been a National Champion - that alone dictates a price tag. He also recently qualified for the Spanish Championships in Seville.

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
he's not my type at all, i prefer the more modern rangy tall PRE's, but i think theres plenty to work with.

the walk is clear 4 beat and does over track (to my eye anyway).

trot is boring but she's letting him tootle isnt she, when she pushes him he does show an inclination towards medium trot, so again something to play with.

canter is sweet and again plenty of room for more oomph.

TBH i came on to this thread, having only read the comments and not being able to watch the vid at work, all prepared to hate him, but actually think if you can get him in front of the leg, he'll be plenty competitive enough, esp above elem.

Agree with every word :D

eva

Visit site
He's quite lovely! I've seen quite a few PRE's and his walk is very very good for a PRE. Canter is super too. I don't really like his contact in trot, he's not entirely steady. Agree 100% has to be seen, you'll have so much fun choosing a horse in Spain, it's probably like being in a candy shop :)

MillionDollar

Visit site
Totally agree with PS (and not surprised he's not your cup of tea, I knew you're not one for the chunkies :p).

His walk is really good for a PRE and it does def overtrack. I will also point out that the rider hadn't ridden him much before the vid was taken, so probably why the trot isn't great as I have since seen a vid of a test he did and its lovely in that!

B-B

Visit site
I think he has a good attitude.

Trouble with WOW factor is that it tends to come with baggage.

A horse with a show off personality will probably be hot to handle - both ridden and on the ground.

Thats fine if you are like Carl and have staff to ride him on his nutty days.

This chap looks like he will be easier to work with and have around.

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
safe is worth money.

for sure you could find something that moves better (now), and has equal potential,for less money......you could buy 12 ex racers lol, but cheap and talented = trouble (usually).

tristar

Visit site
this is a very young horse, being ridden to impress for a sale, i don't like the way he is ridden, its too demanding, not allowing enough for me, he has a good walk, a good canter which i feel will open up a lot, and a trot that will develop into something very special, IF, he is given time and ridden more sympathetically, he can show lengthening in his trot across the diagonal, but she is holding him together too much so he can't lengthen his neck with his stride, and comes behind the vertical.

i like this horse and think he could look very different if allowed freedom in front, i hope he finds a rider who is as good as he is, and not some fool who wrecks him doing 'dressage'

he should do loads of hacking and be a young horse for now, gently learning shoulder-in etc and being ridden classically like a spanish horse and not like a warmblood, by someone who can ride like a spanish rider and won't hinder his natural talent

MillionDollar

Visit site
Yes exactly PS. I am certainly not in your league as a rider and I think an ex-racer would deck me quite a lot :p ha ha. If I was brave/good enough I would most certainly would have considered an ex-racer but they are too spindly (sp?) for me ;)

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
this is a very young horse, being ridden to impress for a sale, i don't like the way he is ridden, its too demanding, not allowing enough for me, he has a good walk, a good canter which i feel will open up a lot, and a trot that will develop into something very special, IF, he is given time and ridden more sympathetically, he can show lengthening in his trot across the diagonal, but she is holding him together too much so he can't lengthen his neck with his stride, and comes behind the vertical.

i like this horse and think he could look very different if allowed freedom in front, i hope he finds a rider who is as good as he is, and not some fool who wrecks him doing 'dressage'

he should do loads of hacking and be a young horse for now, gently learning shoulder-in etc and being ridden classically like a spanish horse and not like a warmblood, by someone who can ride like a spanish rider and won't hinder his natural talent

Completely agree.

oldvic

Visit site
This horse would get good marks for medium walk if he was more connected. There is overtrack of more than 1 hoof and a clear 4 beat. The bigger steps would improve with more connection and suppleness. The trot is rather on his shoulder and lacking engagement so he sometimes loses rhythm. This can be improved with better connection and having him more out infront of the rider with improved suppleness. The canter, as it is on the video, climbs a bit infront but lacks a period of suspension and is a little slow with the hind legs. The activity can be improved but the jump of the canter will have to be manufactured and is not natural for him. He looks trainable but lacks suppleness and looked like he found lateral work hard. His neck is rather low at the base which doesn't help his self carriage.
To me he looks like a horse that I would expect to be around the early mid 60% (63-65) on his paces and suppleness as he is at the moment if he had better connection.

Lyle

Visit site
I like him :) Although PRE's aren't my cup of tea, I think he looks like a very obliging chap who would be nice to work with every day. He is certainly eye-catching, which is always a bonus :p

Gamebird

Visit site
Haven't watched the video, just read the thread, but I have to say I'd be gutted if my riding was being criticised like this. You are judging the horse and the jockey has neither asked to be commented on nor (I assume) comes on here to see the comments or be able to defend herself. For one of 'us' fair enough, comment away; but for someone who hasn't the ability to see these comments/respond perhaps it's not really fair.

B-B

Visit site
No one is directly criticising the rider. The rider is showing the horse for sale.

The question was asked about the horse's way of going and this is influenced by the rider.

In fact there have been comments about how nice and quietly the horse is ridden and that she is not the main rider so is not training him, just 'showing' him.

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
Well she can't always do a bad job of riding these are her results http://www.britishdressage.co.uk/results/rider_record/8890

Iberian stallions have been used in WB breeding to help with collection work & temperment, as they find this work easier. My friend loves these horses believing they have a fantastic work ethic & due to their background are ideal for the higher levels of dressage where there is more "collected movements". I think she would also say that you need to spend time developing their top line & pushing power, they are also a horse that don't respond well to nagging. This horse is only 4 so long as he finds the correct trainer he could do well in the future. They are nothing like the WB & so require a different attitude to their training.

As the poster has been offered a Welsh D on loan that is an alternative to think about, especially as if her own horse comes right she might not be able to afford to run 2 horses. As someone has already said the price is what someone is willing to pay.

Amaranta

Visit site
Well she can't always do a bad job of riding these are her results http://www.britishdressage.co.uk/results/rider_record/8890

Iberian stallions have been used in WB breeding to help with collection work & temperment, as they find this work easier. My friend loves these horses believing they have a fantastic work ethic & due to their background are ideal for the higher levels of dressage where there is more "collected movements". I think she would also say that you need to spend time developing their top line & pushing power, they are also a horse that don't respond well to nagging. This horse is only 4 so long as he finds the correct trainer he could do well in the future. They are nothing like the WB & so require a different attitude to their training.

As the poster has been offered a Welsh D on loan that is an alternative to think about, especially as if her own horse comes right she might not be able to afford to run 2 horses. As someone has already said the price is what someone is willing to pay.

Well said - I know Emma very well and can assure people that not only is she a very capable rider, she is also a very sensitive one - I would have no hesitation in sending a horse to her to produce.

Re the horse, as you quite rightly say he is only a 4yo, PREs mature later than WBs and for some on this thread to compare the two is unfair. If you looked at this horse again when he has matured you would see a completely different picture, I also think he will remain sounder than many warmbloods who tend to be over produced at a very young age.

templewood

Visit site
I find it strange that PRE's are always being criticised for not being supple enough or extending. No mention is made of most WB's complete inability to collect properly!