Opinions on Vet insurance please!

wren123

Visit site
Well my dog's renewal for her insurance has come in at £70 per month, with an £80 excess, last year was £50 per month.

She has had a few claims for her ears which has obviously put the premium up, also she is 8 years old now.

The question is whether to renew or not, we will put the money away, increasing it by £10 per month every year to replicate what we would be paying. We do have the funds to pay if necessary. We are undecided what to do, obviously the premiums will go up every year from now on. Her joints (touch wood) seem to be good, she has a good long walk everyday and is in good health.

What would you do, what have you done? This is the first dog we have insured, and to be honest even with a £4,000ish claim for her ears, we are about level with what we have paid in versus what we have taken out. We would join the Dogs Trust to get 3rd party insurance.

Opinions welcome please.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Have you tried shopping about? With my old dog, his premiums eventually went up to £120pcm with the KC (he had skin issues) at the age of 8. I switched to Tescos who excluded his skin issues but premiums went down to £40pcm. They crept up again and when he reached 11 I stopped insuring-on the basis we wouldnt have anything extensive done anyway and we had savings and CC for back up. I don't think I'd have the nerve to not insure a younger dog tbh.

wren123

Visit site
I have thought about that, the trouble is she has had lots of minor issues, which we have claimed for so there would be a lot of exclusions. I suppose cancer would be covered, but when she was younger she had occasional lameness in her front leg, the vet examined her thoroughly and didn't take xrays as he was certain they would ok and the lameness was so slight it didn't justify sedating her to xray. She was insured at that stage so cost wasn't an issue. So knowing insurance companies I would worry that anything to do with joints would be excluded!

But actually it may be worth getting some quotes and looking at my dog's notes at the vets to see what they say, telling the new insurance company to see what they would cover/exclude.

Thank you for your reply it has certainly given me food for thought!

satinbaze

Visit site
Look at " lifetime pet cover" as they only exclude conditions that have been claimed for in the past 2 years. I pay £30 per month for a 10 year old, £10000 per condition per year

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Look at " lifetime pet cover" as they only exclude conditions that have been claimed for in the past 2 years. I pay £30 per month for a 10 year old, £10000 per condition per year

Who is that with satinbaze ? I had my older GSD insured with NFU as an add on to my house policy. It was only lowish cover (£3000) but was reasonable. My renewal came through this month and the premium had doubled (have never claimed). When I phoned to query they checked with the underwriters and it was because of her age, she is 8 next month, not exactly on her last legs! I cancelled the insurance, and the lady on the phone said Tesco were very good. :p

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I have thought about that, the trouble is she has had lots of minor issues, which we have claimed for so there would be a lot of exclusions. I suppose cancer would be covered, but when she was younger she had occasional lameness in her front leg, the vet examined her thoroughly and didn't take xrays as he was certain they would ok and the lameness was so slight it didn't justify sedating her to xray. She was insured at that stage so cost wasn't an issue. So knowing insurance companies I would worry that anything to do with joints would be excluded!

But actually it may be worth getting some quotes and looking at my dog's notes at the vets to see what they say, telling the new insurance company to see what they would cover/exclude.

Thank you for your reply it has certainly given me food for thought!

worht shopping about. You can also get accident only if the past issues prove problematic insurance-wise. Knowing how much RTAs can cost for example, I'd be reluctant to not at least have that for a dog thats still running about. Dog insurance seems a bit more forgiving that horse as well-they might exclude that one koint, but not all (with my dog they excluded skin allergies but not other skin conditions such as tumours for example). You won't know until you ask :)

wren123

Visit site
worht shopping about. You can also get accident only if the past issues prove problematic insurance-wise. Knowing how much RTAs can cost for example, I'd be reluctant to not at least have that for a dog thats still running about. Dog insurance seems a bit more forgiving that horse as well-they might exclude that one koint, but not all (with my dog they excluded skin allergies but not other skin conditions such as tumours for example). You won't know until you ask :)

Thanks I will do so, my husband is of the mind to cancel I am more cautious! I have just been on the phone to the vet and all it has down is mild right fore lameness, so at least I know what to say. The nurse suggested speaking to the woman who does the claims, specifically to see if this issue will mean she will never be able to claim for that leg for anything! This is relevant as if you have a claim the insurance company contact the vets about her medical history.

I curse myself for taking her to the vet, from my horsey days I am quite good at picking up lameness, I should have left well alone!

Last edited:

satinbaze

Visit site
Who is that with satinbaze ? I had my older GSD insured with NFU as an add on to my house policy. It was only lowish cover (£3000) but was reasonable. My renewal came through this month and the premium had doubled (have never claimed). When I phoned to query they checked with the underwriters and it was because of her age, she is 8 next month, not exactly on her last legs! I cancelled the insurance, and the lady on the phone said Tesco were very good. :p

Company is called lifetime pet cover. When lily was 9 her premiums with tesco went up to £124 per month for only £4000 cover, digestive issues excluded due to her bloat problems. Lifetime pet cover was by far the best deal for an older dog. I think it's £90 excess and I have to pay 10% but other quotes were rediculous for minimal cover.

Alec Swan

Visit site
£12 per month with the Co-op with a £75 excess and with a £2k vet's cover per condition. The perennial question though is what is it that the vet generally says, when the insurance limit expires?

I still wonder at the point to insurance, better to put the money on one side, I'd say.

Alec.

Clodagh

Visit site
It is a gamble, isn't it? We insure for the first two years, while they are likely to eat lego or something and then not any more. We could find the money for treatment if needed and I wouldn't amputate a leg or treat for cancer anyway. Until the dog has died you never know if you will win or not!

wren123

Visit site
Thank you all for your advice, have pursued some quotes (including Co op, thanks Alec) and none of them are taking on dogs that have reached their 8th birthday, which she did in March.
So I think we will cancel and put the money away and keep our fingers crossed!!
As you say Clodagh it is a gamble, she is the first dog we have insured and even with several large claims we only come out about even. With our next dog I think I would do the same as you and just insure the first couple of years.