Opinions on what other people think is acceptable

lewis2015

Visit site
Just after some opinions! Would you be annoyed if...

A fellow livery was parking their car outside your stable on the yard every evening, with the engine left running for upwards of an hour?

I approached someone about this and was told I was the only one bothered and they refused to stop doing it. Have spoken to YO who is going to speak to them, but I was made to feel by the other livery as though I was being unreasonable.

I have asthma and my horse has airways difficulties, not to mention it just being really gross and unpleasant for the horses breathing in someone's exhaust fumes whilst at the yard.

dibbin

Visit site
Personally I would be unhappy about that, especially if the horse has respiratory issues.

Are there other places to park and is there any particular reason they leave the engine running? Does this happen while you're there?

If the other liveries genuinely aren't bothered, I'd suspect it's because it's not being parked outside their stable!

Last edited:

Cowpony

Visit site
Why on earth would you do that? Sounds bonkers. And yes, it would bother me, regardless of whether my horse had breathing difficulties or not. I don't want to breathe in fumes and I don't want my horse to either.

Was it the person who left the car running that you spoke to, or somebody else? If it was the person doing it I'd speak to other liveries - don't take her word for it that you are the only one bothered by it.

joelb

Visit site
I'm with you, exactly the same used to happen to me daily and it drove me nuts.

My former neighbour would park right outside my door and when she was done with her horses sat with her engine running whilst uploading her evenings antics onto facebook etc, gassing my mare in the process. Best day ever when she bought her own land and left.

Generally folk just aren't aware of their impact and will stop if it's raised with them.

lewis2015

Visit site
Thanks for the all the replies everyone! I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds this gross, rude and unacceptable.

Yes, she does it when I'm there. We aren't always there at the same time but we share a tackroom and stable block and she nonchalantly informed me last night when I asked her to stop doing it that she does it every night, and that they aren't breathing in anything bad because they are outside(!) I pointed out it's a confined space, her car is outside but the horses are in stables and if I can feel the fumes triggering my asthma then they can definitely breathe it in. The reason for doing it, apparently, is so that she can use her headlights to see by, regardless of the fact that we have stable lights and outside lights and I've always managed fine without needing headlights! Last night she tied her poor mare up outside the stable next to mine, left engine running and disappeared off down the bottom of the yard with one of her mates for about 25 minutes!? So she wasn't even using to do her jobs, she just left it and the horse.

And yes, there is a car park that we are supposed to use. Yard rules say no parking on yard unless you are unloading bales/ feed from car. Everyone ignores it though in the evening and I have to put a hi viz sheet on my mare when she's tied up outside her own stable as hers is the end of the row and people rag it round the corner onto the yard far too fast. It's all really getting me down :( The yard used to be lovely with considerate people and now seems to be full of idiots.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i would be very angry and if i was there i would switch off engine and hang on to the keys.....its not acceptable !!!!!! YO should enforce the no parking rule for all and if not i think i would be taking my horse elsewhere a s a p...

blackislegirl

Visit site
We had someone's Dad sitting in their car with a running engine every day, right outside stables, waiting for daughter whilst she mucked out. Noisy, polluting, and rude imho.

It was mentioned to yard owner, who agreed, spoke to the guy and it hasn't happened since.

lewis2015

Visit site
No im being serious. If there are people driving round the stable yard at speed, meaning you have to tie up your horse wearing hi-viz, I would move on.

I agree with you, Notimetoride! It's why I'm really down - I have considered moving on over all of this as it's just awful sharing a space with such inconsiderate people. Unfortunately, there's not much else in the area. I'm hoping the YO will sort it as she's a good one; she generally leaves us to it and doesn't interfere as she trusts us but some people are taking the mick and abusing that trust so hopefully it will get sorted out. If not, then yes. I will definitely have to move.

lewis2015

Visit site
We had someone's Dad sitting in their car with a running engine every day, right outside stables, waiting for daughter whilst she mucked out. Noisy, polluting, and rude imho.

It was mentioned to yard owner, who agreed, spoke to the guy and it hasn't happened since.

I'm glad it stopped! I'm hoping this one will too when YO has a word. I would just NEVER do it!? Are people genuinely so thoughtless that they don't realise what car engines churn out?? It baffles me.

tda

Visit site
what about getting in, moving car round the corner and turn off. Then slink off while she notices its gone and panics............

Darbs

Visit site
Don't think this applies to private property, just on the public highway.

Correct, its just on the public highway.

Stationary idling is an offence under section 42 of the Road Traffic Act 1988.

The Act enforces rule 123 of the Highway Code which states: "You must not leave a vehicle engine running unnecessarily while that vehicle is stationary on a public road." This can incur a £20 fixed-penalty fine under the Road Traffic (Vehicle Emissions) Regulations 2002. This goes up to £40 if unpaid within a given timeframe.

It doesn't mean you've got to cut your engine at every red light: you are allowed to leave your engine running if you're stationary in traffic or diagnosing faults

Notimetoride

Visit site
I agree with you, Notimetoride! It's why I'm really down - I have considered moving on over all of this as it's just awful sharing a space with such inconsiderate people. Unfortunately, there's not much else in the area. I'm hoping the YO will sort it as she's a good one; she generally leaves us to it and doesn't interfere as she trusts us but some people are taking the mick and abusing that trust so hopefully it will get sorted out. If not, then yes. I will definitely have to move.

Aw I do feel for you. It's so awful being unhappy on a yard, when other people are so inconsiderate. It needs a strong yard manager to keep everything ticking sling happily. I'm very non confrontational so this situation would really get me down too. Is there any way you could swap stables with someone else?

Caracarrie

Visit site
They must have money to burn. My car just did 500 miles on a full tank (1.1 engine) but sit in a traffic jam for a few minutes and you can almost see the gauge needle going down.

spacie1977

Visit site
The woman is an utter moron. Not only is she paying a fortune for something a head torch can do, but also killing the environment & causing upset at the yard which will ultimately make it a bad atmosphere for everyone. Why can't everyone just be reasonable and considerate of eachother?
Talk to the YO about it, and let her know it needs to stop as it's causing you medical problems. An environmental health officer at the council and might also be able to provide some advice. I'm sure they'd be unimpressed with the deliberate pollution.
If it's not amicably resolved soon though, I'd be looking elsewhere. If you post on one of your local Facebook horse pages and put an ad up in the local tack shop, you may find there are more livery spaces available locally than you thought. I lived in my village for 7yrs before discovering there was a yard just a minute drive away.

Micropony

Visit site

Feel for you. There are nice yards and there are not-nice yards, and I am not talking about swanky expensive facilities. My horse is my leisure time and my relaxation and I invest a lot of my time, emotional energy and money in it, so persistent rude, inconsiderate behaviour and attitudes and a bad atmosphere would have me seriously considering whether I wanted to be there. I may have the wrong end of the stick, and perhaps it's a lovely yard with great people and just one horrible person. If that's the case is there perhaps another stable you could move to where you can tie up safely away from traffic fumes and speeding vehicles? Momentarily satisfying as it might be, switching the engine off, moving the vehicle yourself etc. is only going to escalate the issues, not resolve them.

Arzada

Visit site
I'm hoping the YO will sort it as she's a good one; she generally leaves us to it and doesn't interfere as she trusts us but some people are taking the mick and abusing that trust so hopefully it will get sorted out. .
It's good that she is good. All she has to do is enforce the 'No Parking' rule on your yard and that will deal with the running engine and the ragging round the corner. I hope it is sorted for you and your horse.

Equi

Visit site
Clearly doesn't give a hoot about the environment then. Id be tempted to dump a load of muck at her stable door, and set a fan on it and see how she likes it. When her horse is out obv.

Just plain rude and annoying in my opinion.