Opinions please on selection of tow cars..

Batgirl

Visit site
I have it narrowed down to:
Freelander
Sorrento
Tiguan
X Trail

I need to tow 2tonne but also do a fair bit of mileage for work.

Opinions?

CMcC

Visit site
Am pretty sure Freelander is not up to towing that amount (could be wrong). I used to tow with a Tiguan, OK for 2t but upgraded to a Touareg which is far better.

Clare85

Visit site
Love my Sorrento, a fabulous towing vehicle, does its job with ease.

My sister had a Freelancer for a while. It's towing capacity tops out at 2 tonnes I think. We used to tow about 1.3 tonnes and it used t struggle with that tbh. Wouldn't have one myself.

Last edited:

GoldenWillow

Visit site
You could add Honda CRV to the list, the manual diesel has 2000kg tow capacity not sure about other models. We get approx 44 mpg normal driving.

phizz4

Visit site
I know that the law allows you to do it (my Shogun has a 3300kg towing capacity) but I would never try to tow a weight that is greater than the weight of the towing vehicle. The recommended ratio is to tow a maximum of 85% of the tow vehicle weight. This is based on lessons learnt from my early days of towing when I didn't know any better and I did tow excess weights. We once had to stop part way up a steepish hill in Derbyshire and unload the horses because the car (large Volvo) couldn't cope. I know that today's cars have more powerful engines but the weight of the tow car adds so much to the stability of the outfit. You also need to watch the nose weight with some of these vehicles. Note; this is my opinion and I'm sure that many will disagree and say they have done it without problems.

Batgirl

Visit site
I know that the law allows you to do it (my Shogun has a 3300kg towing capacity) but I would never try to tow a weight that is greater than the weight of the towing vehicle. The recommended ratio is to tow a maximum of 85% of the tow vehicle weight. This is based on lessons learnt from my early days of towing when I didn't know any better and I did tow excess weights. We once had to stop part way up a steepish hill in Derbyshire and unload the horses because the car (large Volvo) couldn't cope. I know that today's cars have more powerful engines but the weight of the tow car adds so much to the stability of the outfit. You also need to watch the nose weight with some of these vehicles. Note; this is my opinion and I'm sure that many will disagree and say they have done it without problems.

Actually having been in a similar situation I kind of agree, the Tiguan I am looking at is the heaviest for that very reason!

Annagain

Visit site
I've had 3 Freelanders and haven't had any problems with any of them. Older petrol models were known for head gasket problems but the diesels are far more reliable. Having towed with a Freelander, a CRV and an X-Trail, I'd pick the Freelander any day. I know a few people who were happy with the Sorrento but it's a bigger car (tows more and is heavier) so would probably be less economical.

hibshobby

Visit site
My series 1 Freelanders (I've had two diesel versions) have towed an IW505 and one 600kg with no problems at all and would have another with no hesitation. As they don't make them any more however, that could be a problem ! My neighbour tows her very large and heavy caravan with a Kia Sorrento and loves it so that may be something I would consider when I need to replace the Freelander.

catroo

Visit site

The vast majority of tow vehicles on the road (lorries) are far lighter than the weight they are towing. In the example you've given having a heavier vehicle wouldn't have made a difference, probably would have made it worse.

I like to stay comfortably within limits so I know I have a bit in hand should something unexpected happen, but focus far more on the torque of the engine so it has the 'strength' to pull its way out of trouble. Unfortunately these types aren't usually very economical.

OP- I've previously towed very successfully with a Ford Kuga, relatively economical and managed to get its self and trailer out of some very muddy fields.