Opinions please

Salcey

Visit site
I have a field that has been split into 2 sections, bout an acre each. One half has been left for 2-3months. I have been strip grazing my two as the welshie gets porky. However many people have been saying I shouldn't be as the grass has no goodness in it now. I would have thought with the weather having been so mild there would still be goodness left in it and I just want to be careful of the pony. He's never had laminitis but I don't want to start now. Am I being over cautious?

So do you think there is goodness still in the grass?

lizzieuk1

Visit site
i think caution is best with these ponies, thinking about how many people have still been cutting their lawns recently i'd say its still growing so best to be careful until the weather really turns, looking at it today shouldn't be long!!

TGM

Visit site
Your best guide is the pony's condition - if he is maintaining his weight then there must still be some goodness in the grass, if he starts to drop then obviously the grass quality is deteriorating! If you measure with a weight tape once a week it will give you a good idea of whether he is maintaining weight or not.

Chex

Visit site
I wuold imagine there's still some goodness, although not as much as a few monthes ago. Mine has managed to put on weight despite the grass dying back, being worked more, and not having a rug on, so there must be something in the grass still!

ladylisa

Visit site
I think you are doing the right thing.
I am doing the same sort of thing i have 6 acres in three sections, ive opened up two of the fields for the 2 horses to go into and i am saving the last section as it is still growing, will move them onto this soon and then start feeding hay.
Its good that you are still trying to manage your field at this time of year, most people give up!