Opinions please

archoak

Visit site
This weekend we are looking after a friends 17.1 gelding who is stressy at the best of times and she likes him to be turned out early and bought in as late as possible, he is quite happy to be last in but does not like being in his stable (we have to bring in at night in the winter). When I went to get him in this evening I arrived at the yard to find him already in his stable, this was 4 pm, no bed down, no feed luckily I'd already done hay and water, and was totally stessed (he had colic surgery in the past), Apparently someone brought him in at 3.30 because he was last out and they never leave a horse on his own - fine but ask the owner/carer first! I wouldn't have brought him in until 5, with his bed and feed ready. When we had calmed him down and fed him we put him back in his stable where he weed for England - he obviously needed one but wouldn't go with no bed. Anyway I found the girl who brought him in and told her he was fine on his own and that is what his owner prefers and she said 'well turn him back out then'!

And breathe ...... Am I right to feel cross? Well done if you got to the end
grin.gif

RLF

Visit site
aarrrgggghhh,
don't start me on people who bring your horses in when they think its time, they do it all the time on our yard.

Fairynuff

Visit site
Yes and no. The girl obviously thought she was doing the right thing in bringing him in,BUT, she could have pulled some bedding down for him and chucked some hay in to keep him happy. She was trying to be helpful and now that she knows the situation she will leave him out.Its not worth getting cross about.Hope hes calmed down for the night. Mairi.

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Kind of annoying, but she obviously thought she was doing the right thing. Lets face it you would have been just as pissed off if she had left him out and he was the sort to stress when left on his own. Now she knows (I have assumed she is new to the yard) she will not bring him in again. At our yard the person to bring the 2nd last horse also brings the last one in (unless it is known to be happy to be left on its own).

the watcher

Visit site
In the circumstances it might have been a good idea to leave a note up for the other liveries, it is done now and hopefully he hasn't wound himself up too much.

Conversely I arrive at my yard to find everything else put away and my three out and going nuts, so I can see the other side of it

archoak

Visit site
That's the point he is happy on his own and his owner brings him in later. This woman doesn't like his owner and I think she just did it because she's away. All our numbers are listed so she could have just texted me and checked which is what I would do. And she's not new.

Halfpass

Visit site
At our yard we have an agreement where no horse is left on own unless owner requests it. If this was to happen we all have each others numbers and wil text or call the person who's horse it is and let them know and find out what they want us to do. Works quite well we found this the best way.