Opinions please

twiggy2

Well-Known Member
Joined
3 July 2013
Messages
9,740
Location
Highlands from Essex
Open pyo is not as imminently life threatening but if I was going to have the surgery done I would want it done as soon as possible.
To be honest I would want to know how advanced the mammary tumours are, have they xrays the lungs, if its spread then I would not operate.
Mammary strips can be huge surgery and I would want to be sure that the lungs were clear before putting a bitch through the pain and recovery of that operation.
If the tumours have spread I would speak to the vet about trying to treat the pyo with antibiotics (I have seen it be successful in many occasions with an open pyo) and not operate, I would want quality of life for the time she has left but would want to see good improvement in the dog in the next 5 days to continue antibiotic treatment. If that was not the case I would Pts.
If it hasn't spread then my decision would still be a tricky one and down to the dogs general health and well being on a normal day to day basis, some (not all) shepherds are aged by her time of life some are not.
Good luck what ever you decide op.
 

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Joined
6 July 2010
Messages
28,419
Obviously not a bitch, but I would say Bear’s coat was completely ruined by being neutered. If I were showing, I’d be reluctant to spay, but I”d do it as a matter of course if I weren’t. In future, there’s no way I’m neutering dogs, I think it’s wrecked Zak’s self confidence and looking at the studies, I believe there to be more benefits than disadvantages.

I hope your dog comes through the other side ok, OP.
 

moscow_mule

Well-Known Member
Joined
16 September 2006
Messages
217
Location
doggy paddling through the custard of life
Firstly thank you all for your replies :) she was seen by two surgeons this morning and given that there has been a huge improvement in her symptoms.... brighter, more active (she trotted with the vet on the way into the surgery, and pulled him back to us on the way out !!) The swelling of her mammary glands has gone down significantly. He has told us to finish the course of antibiotics and metacalm then book another appointment. We will be getting her spayed, We are NOT going through this again!
Mental note to self... if if you ain't going to show or breed from your bitch get her spayed, but I would still wait until she is fully mature, I think that speying /nutering too early causes more developmental and or behavioural problems.
Thanks again, One very relived Mule :p
 

Pearlsasinger

Well-Known Member
Joined
20 February 2009
Messages
35,958
Location
W. Yorks
Excellent news!

There is another thread running currently with a link to research into the effects of spaying, at varying ages in different breeds. You might want to read that before making a firm decison about next time.
 
Top