Opinions pls on companion options

Poppy2003

Visit site
So after 4 very happy we’ll worked years I am losing my field mate due to relocation. Short notice and unexpected.
I’m on DIY on a farm. Basic but okay for what I need. Set up is a paddock between 2 and my horse and field mate have shared amazingly as have me and the owner. When field mate goes next month my horse will be own it’s own. Not great. It also means I’m at the mercy of the next new livery. Could be anyone. We have had some right randoms over the years as it’s a farm and no input really from the farmer. I look after my paddock, maintain the fencing and have a worming routine. Not sure I a want to be at the mercy of a random new livery. It would have to go in with my lad.
So I’ve been considering getting another. My horse is 15 with spavins and a light hack so was always my plan to get another. Just not right now.
So either tomorrow go to a charity and get a suitable easy companion. I buy a youngster that would be ready in a couple of years when maybe my lad is ready to retire or I buy a ready to go school master that I could do more with now and retire my lad and he becomes the companion.
I’m so undecided. What would you do?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
If you are going to be keeping two, I would buy something that you can ride now. If your current horse is a light hack, he could continue to do that, he doesn't need to be retired immediately. The problem might be finding a suitable horse within a month.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
I found myself in a similar situation about 6 years ago! I ended up buying an 18 month old and had him and my old girl together. it was a nightmare, one would get upset if I tried to do something with the other, so I ended up getting a shetland as well. I'm so lucky that my shetland is good with electric fencing and doesn't mind being left whilst I ride. I no longer have my mare, so my friends pony has lived with us for 4 years. but having 3 is much better than 2, in my experience

Poppy2003

Visit site
I wouldn’t have time to ride 2. Maybe the very occasional short hack on mine but as he has arthritis probably wouldn’t do him any good. He is currently hacked out 4-6 times a week. I could get a sharer etc but not sure how popular he would be. Quite sharp and can only really walk. Mainly roads are best for him.
He would be okay on his own for a bit and I could pay a retainer on the space bit wouldn’t want that long term

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I had the same difficult decision to make: knew that my two old'uns would have to be PTS this autumn before the winter-proper set in (they were PTS 10 days ago :( , both together, on a lovely sunny morning, couldn't have been a better time for them).

The problem I had was that I knew I'd need a companion for my little youngster; and I knew that I didn't exactly have a lot of time to sort a companion for her. The last time I bought a horse I spent a long eighteen months looking for something - it was awful - but I knew this time round I'd have to made a decision PDQ and not faff around about it. I did have a look at a few rescues - the advantage being with a rescue is that with the majority of them, the horse belongs to them and you are basically "loaning" it, and there is the option of handing it back if things change, not that you'd seek to necessarily - but it IS there as a fall-back if needs be.

My inclination was to look for something that could be ridden; as if you're gonna home it and look after it, my thought-processes went along the lines of you might as well have some productive usage of it rather than just have a field-ornament.

Anyway, after speaking to a couple of rescues and making myself known to them, a very nice little mare who'd been in a RDA centre came up on my FB feed as looking for a home as there'd been one or two issues with her which deemed her unsuited for RDA, and to cut a long story short I went and saw her, tried her (in the pouring rain), and brought her home!

You have difficult decisions to make OP! I know that feeling of rising panic when you realise that you have just GOT to do something - but don't know what!! If in the short-term a "companion" is what you're after, I'm sure that if you were to put something up on FB you will get deluged with offers from people who want to shaft-off their non-ridden equines on you! And this will be your problem, you might just be taking on either a walking vets bill, OR a behaviour issue, or both (or even worse someone who just wants to dump their infirm horse on someone and walk away). But if you need a "companion", like, NOW, then if you put a quiet word around Pony Club/local Hunt etc you may find that there just might be someone around your horsey friendship network who could "lend" you a companion say for the winter, and then see how things go.

Also bear in mind that now is the best time to buy! So if you were to cast your eye around you might just be lucky to find something that's half-decent which OK if not 101% what you want, you might be willing if the price is right to take on as a bit of a project over winter and produce it for next Spring!

OR..... a youngster, yes, that is another thing you could consider. Advantage being that no-one else has come along and spoilt the goods and you've got a blank canvas. Again, now a good time to buy!

Feeling for you in your situation: I'm one who hates having to be rushed into things and would normally be ultra-cautious about buying a horse as I'm a really nervous (and, I admit, inexperienced) buyer. But this little mare came up and I couldn't walk away.........

Good luck in whatever you decide. Sorry can't be more help.

Poppy2003

Visit site
Definitely don’t want 3 lol!!!
My paddock is surrounded on all sides with other paddocks with horses so hopefully that wouldn’t be too much of an issue.
I thought maybe if I got something around 18months then I could continue to ride my lad for a couple of years then retire him and the youngster take over.
I haven’t ridden properly in years tho, just hacked the same horse out for years so not sure I fancy a young horse

Poppy2003

Visit site
I had the same difficult decision to make: knew that my two old'uns would have to be PTS this autumn before the winter-proper set in (they were PTS 10 days ago :( , both together, on a lovely sunny morning, couldn't have been a better time for them).

The problem I had was that I knew I'd need a companion for my little youngster; and I knew that I didn't exactly have a lot of time to sort a companion for her. The last time I bought a horse I spent a long eighteen months looking for something - it was awful - but I knew this time round I'd have to made a decision PDQ and not faff around about it. I did have a look at a few rescues - the advantage being with a rescue is that with the majority of them, the horse belongs to them and you are basically "loaning" it, and there is the option of handing it back if things change, not that you'd seek to necessarily - but it IS there as a fall-back if needs be.

My inclination was to look for something that could be ridden; as if you're gonna home it and look after it, my thought-processes went along the lines of you might as well have some productive usage of it rather than just have a field-ornament.

Anyway, after speaking to a couple of rescues and making myself known to them, a very nice little mare who'd been in a RDA centre came up on my FB feed as looking for a home as there'd been one or two issues with her which deemed her unsuited for RDA, and to cut a long story short I went and saw her, tried her (in the pouring rain), and brought her home!

You have difficult decisions to make OP! I know that feeling of rising panic when you realise that you have just GOT to do something - but don't know what!! If in the short-term a "companion" is what you're after, I'm sure that if you were to put something up on FB you will get deluged with offers from people who want to shaft-off their non-ridden equines on you! And this will be your problem, you might just be taking on either a walking vets bill, OR a behaviour issue, or both (or even worse someone who just wants to dump their infirm horse on someone and walk away). But if you need a "companion", like, NOW, then if you put a quiet word around Pony Club/local Hunt etc you may find that there just might be someone around your horsey friendship network who could "lend" you a companion say for the winter, and then see how things go.

Also bear in mind that now is the best time to buy! So if you were to cast your eye around you might just be lucky to find something that's half-decent which OK if not 101% what you want, you might be willing if the price is right to take on as a bit of a project over winter and produce it for next Spring!

OR..... a youngster, yes, that is another thing you could consider. Advantage being that no-one else has come along and spoilt the goods and you've got a blank canvas. Again, now a good time to buy!

Feeling for you in your situation: I'm one who hates having to be rushed into things and would normally be ultra-cautious about buying a horse as I'm a really nervous (and, I admit, inexperienced) buyer. But this little mare came up and I couldn't walk away.........

Good luck in whatever you decide. Sorry can't be more help.

Oh I know it’s a nightmare. 4 years of amazing field mate, share all the work, treat each other’s like they are our own. And now I just have no idea what to do.
Glad you found something. She sounds perfect!

Nudibranch

Visit site
I got a 12 yr old ride and drive Fell as a "companion" for my 7yo...who was not long after pts. So I now have a 3yo Dales who I'll back next year, as a companion for the Fell...who will then become the actual companion again! I would say go for something you can ride though. Mine has become the main riding horse for now, as well as a fab nanny for leading out the Dales, a lead rein pony for my little boy, and a cracking occasional driving pony too. You never know when you might need to swap!

oldie48

Visit site
I keep my horses at home but when I went down to 2 horses, one of which was quite elderly I had a back up plan which was to get a temporary companion from a neighbour, who quite frankly is always over stocked. When I lost the old TB to colic, I had a companion albeit on a temp basis straight away. I then advertised on FB and with my riding club for a suitable long term companion for Bisto. I had lots of offers and settled on a sect A, broken to lead rein. although tbh he's a little bit feral, it has worked well and despite losing Bisto last week, Little Fatty has coped really well. I think having something low maintenance and cheap to keep as a companion is quite important, especially if you don't ride him yourself and i knew I wan't going to be able to keep two horses in proper work. I've grown to love Little Fatty and I have the children of friends come to ride him, which is lovely. I do spend time with him but he is super easy when he's not destroying fences and is quit a character.

SEL

Visit site
I see a few ex polo ponies come up for lighter work on FB around this time of the year. Usually fine for lighter work.

I'm not sure whether Polo Pastures is still in operation rehoming but Sarah who ran it was really helpful when I spoke to her a couple of years ago. Alternatively my friend contacted a number of clubs and got 3 horses for a local riding school (of varying soundness, but all had lovely temperaments).

Alternatively one of the charities might be happy for you to take something short term if you explain the circumstances - it covers feed etc even if its just for the winter.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
My paddock is surrounded on all sides with other paddocks with horses so hopefully that wouldn’t be too much of an issue.
I thought maybe if I got something around 18months then I could continue to ride my lad for a couple of years then retire him and the youngster take over.
I haven’t ridden properly in years tho, just hacked the same horse out for years so not sure I fancy a young horse

Get a horse you can ride now and get a sharer or someone to help you exercise the both of them.

Poppy2003

Visit site
Thanks all. I’m so undecided I change my mind every hour. I’ve even considered sending my horse to retirement livery and being done with the whole thing as I feel I have to do something I didn’t want to do just yet.
It’s also the cost of 2 horses, the fact is have to get a groom/paid help on the 3 days I work as my buddy used to do those.... so much to think about.
Hopefully I can decide soon!

spookypony

Visit site
When I moved to my own place, I was offered a retired school pony as a companion for my gelding. A year later, someone offered me a mare on loan, which didn't work out as a third horse. Just as I decided she had to go again, the opportunity to get my current riding mare came up. I really needed a second riding horse like I needed a hole in the head...but a few years later, my gelding is retired, and she is my little white dream horse. Sometimes, things just happen. That being said, in your circumstances, I would maybe look for a short-term companion while you look properly for the next horse to be a riding horse. Maybe you can find a sharer at that point, too?

chaps89

Visit site
It sounds as if you're on a livery yard so there's other horses about? So yours won't be totally alone once the other one goes at least. If there is other liveries, might there be one you can field share/job share with?

It doesn't really sound like you want a second and it's an expensive thing to do just to be able to keep control of things. Only you know how feasable that really is.

You never know, the next livery might be alright. And if they're not I'm sure you'll find a way around it?!

I was looking at a small yard to rent recently and dithering on companion situation whether ridden or non ridden was best. Ultimately decided although a second one to ride would be nice it would have to be bigger so more poo to pick, it would eat more hay, might need shoes etc etc so would be more expensive than a tiddly companion and actually I don't really have time to keep 2 in proper work, as nice as the idea is!

catkin

Visit site
Another way of looking at it might be 'what does my lad need in a companion?', whether that's a small motherly pony or a youngster that he would enjoy nannying.

my companion is on permanent loan from a charity and when we went to meet her we discussed which of the ponies was most likely to be best-fit with my pony (My pony is a boisterous youngster so needs a schoolmarmish companion to teach him manners.) If they get on it makes everything so much easier and enjoyable.

I can absolutely understand you wanting to be self-contained with two horses, not relying on others.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Another way of looking at it might be 'what does my lad need in a companion?', whether that's a small motherly pony or a youngster that he would enjoy nannying.

my companion is on permanent loan from a charity and when we went to meet her we discussed which of the ponies was most likely to be best-fit with my pony (My pony is a boisterous youngster so needs a schoolmarmish companion to teach him manners.) If they get on it makes everything so much easier and enjoyable.

I can absolutely understand you wanting to be self-contained with two horses, not relying on others.

this is a thoughtful post :) and I'd agree.
I understand the reasoning for having 2, I do the same at livery and find it vastly preferable to having just one and having to always link in with people who sometimes don't do what they say they are going to do. I have 2 ridden ones as I just about have time for it ;) I bought the latest one at the local cheapo sales.

I have a charity companion for my retired mare elsewhere, it was kismet the way it happened as her borrower was giving her up just at the moment I was looking, and as I used to work for the charity I knew the mare already, and knew she'd fit in just perfectly. The convenience is a big plus, I know I don't have to keep her forever (but the reality is I'll be her final home).

pippixox

Visit site
Although I can see your concern and I do like being in control of what is in my field (I rent a field and all 3 are my own) I think you may be too rushed to make a wise decision.
If it is a livery/farm with other horses I would just see what happens- your horse can see other horses and the space will be filled by someone else soon probably and they will hopefully be nice and the horses will get along

No extra cost for you for now and you can just enjoy your hacking while you can

southerncomfort

Visit site
In your shoes I might ask around horsey friends in the area to see if anyone has a little pony needing a bit of extra grazing over Winter just to give you some breathing space. You'll also be able to see if a non ridden companion works out well or whether to look for another ridden horse/pony for the longer term.

If you decide on a non-ridden companion then I'd definitely speak to Blue Cross/WHW etc about taking on one of theirs.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
AH okay, sorry misunderstood your set up! sounds like that could work.

my plan was similar to yours, but unfortunately I did end up having to retire slightly earlier than I thought, so I ended up looking after 3 for 2 years and didn't have anything to ride! though I love spending time with my guys so it wasn't a massive issue for me! and i get to ride now, and know my mare had a lovely long retirement

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site

I was going to say similar as not all older horses appreciate a much younger companion.