Opinions pretty please! How much for a school master?

Blizzard

Visit site
Opinions would be greatly appreciated.

How much would you expect to pay for the following horse:

17.2hh bay gelding
12yrs old
Passed 5 stage vetting including xrays.

He is out of a good eventer and an ID mare.

Work history includes:

Wembly 3 times
Side saddle wins
Show jumped at grade C
Hunter wins etc
Jumps ANYTHING, never stops or refuses.
Superb hunter, goes out with a hard pack.
Knows all the dressage moves, half pass, shoulder in etc.

Temperment:
Safe enough to put your granny on, looks after anyone 100% even a nervous wreck, never puts a hoof wrong, manners to burn, bombproof, excellent 'babysitter', good alone and in company to hack. Very forgiving, puts up with a bad rider easily. The kind of horse who steadys up if he senses you are unbalanced.

smile.gif

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Free to me!!!!!!!!

Seriously sounds like a wonderful, wonderful horse. Why do you want to sell???

I'd pay a lot of money for a horse like that if I were in the market, and would be tempted to say name your price.

Others may comment on the age - but 12 is nothing.

Bugger, wish I had some money
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Blizzard

Visit site
I will say a bit more about him after a few more responses but we would be buying him, lol I would never sell a horse like that!

Hubby is tall and a nervous novice, whereas I want a good horse that can teach me and that I cant outgrow in experience.

He has no wear and tear by the way,vetting report was super.

We have ridden him and he is exactly as decribed.
smile.gif

Tia

Visit site
Somewhere between £3,500 and £4,500? Sounds like a lovely guy and no matter what you pay for him, I'm sure he will be well worth it.
smile.gif

jess_asterix

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I would pay what they are asking. A horse like that is not likely to come up for sale very often. Still would love to know who he is though!

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto!!

Blizzard

Visit site
LOL Jingle.

Well he isnt advertised, dont think he would be up for sale long if he was, so its a word of mouth thing.

I will get his details from his YO, regarding show name and what he has won exactly, he just gave me the gist like I gave above, when we viewed him our main priority was safety for my OH. And like I said we have both ridden him and he is bombproof, even with another horse jumping all over him, doesnt bat an eyelid.
We wanted a bit of talent so he has exceeded our expectations, especially as he is so uncomplicated with it.

His age doesnt bother me, some 10 yr olds can seem 20, it just depends on the horse I think.

There isnt any downside to him that I can think of, except that he has been off work for 6 months due to no rider, owner has started a business and has been too busy to ride so didnt want him fit for hunting. He is one of those horses who looks naf in winter, loses muscle and condition when he isnt fit.
So there is that to take into account.

However he is no different if ridden daily or once a year, when I rode him it was the 2nd time he had been out in 6 months and he was an angel.

I have got some piccies of him this spring, and he looks really well. Just needs some work I think. Isnt happy being left in the field forever, likes to be doing something.

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
We bought an ex eventer turned dressage horse as a 12 year old, did some local showing, and within 12 months he took us to HOYS as a riding horse. We had never competed at that level before and neither had he! We had 6 good years with this horse but his feet let him down in the end. We still have him (he is VERY old now), but is a s sweet and amenable as the day we bought him. The best buy ever! If this horse is what you are looking for, then don't let his age be a problem for you.

Weezy

Visit site
Have sat here trying to price him, but without knowing WHAT he has done I am finding it impossible! Gut says around £5k, but then agan the Wembley appearances were not necessarily under saddle, the other wins could have been local shows, Grade C can denote just British Novice (so 90cms), I would have to ask after his huntng career with the field master or sec of where he has hunted (as lots of people wll happily say thier horse is fantastic to hunt
crazy.gif
) As for the schooling, where/when/with who was he doing all of that

Now dont get me wrong, I think he sounds SUPER, but like I said wthout knowing WHAT he has done I cannot value him
laugh.gif

Bossanova

Visit site
I agree with Weezy- he sounds fab but check out his credentials.
At the end of the day if you like him and he does the job you want him for then you pay what you think is right.

Blizzard

Visit site
His Wembly things were definitely under saddle, his conformation is not the best, not sure if one was show jumping but I know at least one was side saddle for sure.

his hunting career is with a very fast hard pack, a 2 horse a day jobby, but he lasts all day all the time, first out last in kind of horse. He has whipped in and is always well mannared and will jump anything, inc away from the pack.

Thanks Weezy, I havent got a clue what his worth which is why I asked so all opinions are appreciated!
He has evented so Im assuming dressage then?
Never jumps big, if rider cant see a stride he will always correct himself, flying changes the lot, and a real sweetheart too.

Im definitely one who goes for personality and he is great,so gentle but entertaining too, sell his soul for a polo LOL

macatack

www.SupremeHorse.co.uk
Hi,

I am very new - hello. I would say around 6k - 10k for a horse like that! I have been very lucky that I recently bought an Intermediate Eventer from a family who had originally bought him from Dan Jocelyn to event. She did one OPN then gave up! so he was sat in a field for over a year doing nothing. They paid over £20000 for him and I paid £4000 - bargain or what, but I think his true price would be around £8000 and he is 13 years old.
smile.gif
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

visit my site at www.SupremeHorse.co.uk

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
He sounds a tad similar to mine....

Mine was 12 when we bought him... If I give some of his credentials perhaps you can compare better.

He's schooled to PSG and has competed upto advanced medium with an ex YR... However, he was then sold into a showjumping home so is still in novice points (have his BD record so I know what he's done). The YR in question trained with john lassetter and she used my horse for a number of demonstrations and clinics with him so he knows his stuff on the flat.

He's won a little over £800 in BSJA (god knows what that puts him at... would have to ask a jumping person!) and is anyone's ride over a fence. Im terrified but he'll bring me down to a 4 foot fence and somehow haul me over in one piece. Happily sorts out his own strides (thank god) and as of yet, he's not refused which with me is a miracle - honestly it IS because im hopeless at jumping. We didnt actually know his winnings until recently when I actually went through the process of finding out from the BSJA but it doesnt mean much to me since Im such a wimp at flying
frown.gif

He's evented a fair bit and I know for sure he won a couple of pre-novice type thingies... he was competed at one point under a different name though so Im a tad hazy on this.. We watched him go round Chatsworth (which looked huge to me!) and he was a darling.

He hacks alone or in company... 100% to box / shoe / with anyone but hates being clipped. He passed a 5 star vetting - also with xrays and the vet only gave good feedback on him.

He's hannoverian cross out of Baron b and an absolute darling of a horse. He's a real people horsey and would love nothing more than to be cuddled all day. Never gives me any stress or grief... can ride him in howling wind and rain with another horse doing airs above the ground and he still wouldnt bat an eye lid. He helps me out so much (too much really) and has taught me loads since we've had him.

We paid a little over 12k and he was the best money we've ever spent. I can also say that we could have sold him several times over since then and made a decent amount of cash but I dont think we could ever replace him (or the experience and confidence he has given me)

I'd say go for it! He sounds fabulous! I assume if he's for your OH you could still "borrow" him?
laugh.gif
I should perhaps also mention, my horse was on the market for a grand total of 3 days before we agreed to buy him.. and at that point there were already 5 people booked in to see him over the weekend. So dont hang about too much!
laugh.gif
IMO good school masters are worth their weight in gold.