Opinions - rugging and feeding youngsters

Halfpass

Visit site
I'm sure many of you have been there, new horse on yard with many owners trying to give wise words. The most comments I have had so far have been

- What are you feeding her? When I say 'oh maybe a handful of hifi if the others are being fed' I get met with 'oh she needs fibre nuts etc etc', as she is not worked yet i don't feel it necessary to feed hard feed just grass and adlib hay.

- The other comment i've ben getting is 'What no rugs!!' She has never worn rugs and has been out 24/7 12 months of the year, i know i will need to introduce her to rugs but is it really necessary to rug her up now? She is stabled at night and out in the day.

Opinions on both these topics would be much appreciated.

Weezy

Visit site
ARGH the feeding thing - BIG bugbear of mine! Nothing wrong with a horse having forage only if they are in light work only!

As for the rugging - if the horse is used to being without rgs then GREAT! However, a horse in a stable cannot move around to keep warm PLUS it is not continuously eating to keep warm (unless you can supply enough!) so do bear those things in mind - TBH tho, I dont think you will have a sick or ill horse in the morning !

TGM

Visit site
I say that you should not judge a horse on what the owner does - you should judge on "HOW THE HORSE IS!"

So if you only give your horse a handfull of chaff everyday - then that is fine IF your horse is in good condition.

If you don't rug your horse then that is fine if your horse is not losing weight or getting rain scald.

I treat my horses as individuals - tonight two have rugs on, one has rug off. One has a large hard feed, one has a smaller one and one has a handful.

There is no "ONE SIZE FITS ALL APPROACH" with horses - you have to have the courage to do what suits your horse best!

*Gets off soapbox and goes back to wine bottle
blush.gif

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
Little man doesnt have rugs. He only has a handful of chaff for when he's stood nicely for me or done a litle work.
He'll be in at night from next week, and only out when the ground's good.

ihatework

Visit site
well mine has just started to be rugged (this last week) and has been fed for about a month now, is out 24h on not brilliant grazing with little shelter. Soon will be supplimented with hay too.

But this is just my personal preference, if your horse is looking well and is growing some nice winter woolies then rugless and minimal hard feed is your choice. Tell the interfearing liveries to bog off
shocked.gif

Halfpass

Visit site
Those are my feelings too which is why that is what i'm going to do. She is only 2 1/2 so i'm sure she'll be fine. its just that other people have a habit of giving you bad vibes then making you wonder if you are doing the right thing. She looks great (IMO) and has been out 24/7 until I got her yesterdat and she has good grazing for 12 hours per day so i'm sure she will be fine. Will have to post regular pictures as its sometimes hard to tell if your horse is loosing condition when you see them evryday!! Thanks for all your thoughts.

mpicton

Visit site
Our Trakhener youngster isn't being rugged and if possible its staying that way. He's in a night and getting ablib good quality hay and grass. We may introduce a tiny amount of hard feed in the colder months but he's doing great atm. Lovely condition to keep him going through the winter.

Each to their own I say! Just do what you think is best

Seahorse

community.webshots.com
hiya, just had a look at the piccies of your new girly and she's lovely, I bet you're so pleased with her
smile.gif

When Axel was a 2 yr old he was turned out 24/7 had access to a shelter and plenty of haylage, not rugged up and he was absolutely fine.
However I did rug him up as he started to lose weight in about january time, then he was brought in anyway as I wanted to get him ready for showing so he was fed and rugged.
I'm sure your mare will be fine if she's lived out all her life so far.

sorona

Visit site
I have 3, 2 1/2 yr old ponies, all are unrugged as they have thick coats and are in no ridden work so dont sweat up. they ahve been rugged in the past to get them used to it but just in a light weight and just for a few hours at a time and it was only for education and not becasue they needed it. They are all on a diet of grass, hay and chaff at the mo but will prob need pony cubes and chaff over the colder months whent he grass knocks off. If your youngster is fit and well and has enough condition on, a forage/fibre diet is the best thing for him. Why people feel they should thrust their opinion on you when you are doing well on your own is annoying. Horses int he wild only have a fibre diet and is what nautre inteneded for an unridden horse anyway.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Well the two year olds at my yard will not be rugged, are currently fed a small amount of pony nuts and chaff are are out 24/7. They are in fabulous condition. If the weather continues with this cold snap then haylage will be put in the field for them.

I thought that your little horse looked in wonderful condition. She has a nice wooley coat, and her body condition looked great. It may be that she'll drop a little condition with the stress of moving - but you can monitor that and act accordingly.

Theresa_F

Visit site
My youngster who is nearly 2 1/2 does wear a rug but he has just had a chaser clip as he is so hairy than even 15 mins walk long reining means he is sweated up and very hot. As I exercise in evening, I have to have my horses cool and dry to go back in the stable. I rug just enough to keep him warm and until last week, he was out during the day without a rug as it was unseasonally warm.

He is fed fibre products - just starting them on Simple Systems instead of hi-fi and nuts. I actually don't feed anything but forage and a good supplement and mine are in great condition.

Some horses need more rugs and feeds, others are happy without rugs and only hay. Every horse is different and should be treated accordingly.

People use to laugh to see Mr C a big hairy clydie in a thick rug - he has poor circulation and when in, needs to be rugged more like a TB than his actual breed.

As long as your youngster looks good, then what you are doing is right.