Opinions..would you look for a new job?

Ahrena

Visit site
I'm debating whether I should try and find a new job but would like some general opinions.

I'm working as a working pupil on an event/livery yard, but feel its not what I was told the job was when I started. I've been there 4 months and although I have improvded in my riding and my ability to work with horses, I think I may benefit more from a different working pupil placement.

Basically pros and cons.

Cons -
- strongly disagree with some aspects of yard management (lack of turnout and small quanities of hay/haylage given whilst in i.e. horses generally have no food for 20 hours a day if not more)
- I have a lesson once a week/every 10 days. Occasionally feel lesson is very unbeneficial i.e. its shared and unequally (I had a shared lesson today and about 10 minutes spent on me, 50 minutes spent on someone else)
- Despite asking, I am recieving no training with care duties i.e. more detailed equine first aid ect
- Am not learning anything regarding looking after/training more advanced event horses in relation to fitness, feeding regime ect.
- Yard owner/boss is actually no where near as knowledgable as I was led to believe

Pros
- 30 minutes for my mum to drive to take me to competitions
- 5 day week
- Paid holiday
- Am settled and in a routine
- 7.30-5.30 hours, very rarely have to leave later than 6 and never have to start earlier

My parents have kindly offered to help me out money-wise for 2 years so I can be a working pupil (As I have been living with my fiancee for 2 years and am unwilling not to, its unlikely I can "live-in" and its impossible to not live in and afford to live on a working pupil wage), and I don't want to waste this time.

I think I'm scared of moving again as it took literially 6 weeks - 2 months before I was happy. I was extremely homesick and depressed at first, but the initial welcome from my collegues was also basically bullying. Now its fine and we get on REALLY well.

However, I'm not learning anywhere near as much as I hoped I would, so half the time, on my wage, I feel like little more than slave labour.

Would you look for elsewhere? Am worried it would look bad on my C.V if I quit after 4 months.

Goldenstar

Visit site
It's hard to advise you but it does sound as though they are not putting as much time into you as they ought.
I would talk it though with your parents and partner I don't think it would count against you in the future as its not an unusual occurrence for working pupils to move around how ever I would counsel against walking out at short notice as that would be a black mark.

IF you are not happy I would I think look to move life is short to short to be unhappy.

mightymammoth

Visit site
I would look elsewhere at least to see whats around. I think the fact that youve even made this post kind of answers your question?

Difficult one tho, but follow what your instinct is telling you..:)

be positive

Visit site
Is it an event yard that will be busy during the season but currently just in preseason time where it is all rather routine, you may find there are more opportunities to learn once the horses are fit and competing regularly.
Do you have a horse there with the chance to take it along to events with others from the yard and have help and support at events.
Are you prepared to move further away for a better yard or is there somewhere nearby that may suit you more.
The hours do seem good, it may be different once events start but you will expect that.
Management of horses will be different in all yards, part of learning is to find out not just what to do but also what you would not do.
Just a few more thoughts to add to yours, I think moving after 4 months would not look bad as long as you do not move too often and go to a better yard that has a good reputation that will then be good for your cv.

Ahrena

Visit site
Is it an event yard that will be busy during the season but currently just in preseason time where it is all rather routine, you may find there are more opportunities to learn once the horses are fit and competing regularly.
Do you have a horse there with the chance to take it along to events with others from the yard and have help and support at events.
Are you prepared to move further away for a better yard or is there somewhere nearby that may suit you more.
The hours do seem good, it may be different once events start but you will expect that.
Management of horses will be different in all yards, part of learning is to find out not just what to do but also what you would not do.
Just a few more thoughts to add to yours, I think moving after 4 months would not look bad as long as you do not move too often and go to a better yard that has a good reputation that will then be good for your cv.

This is more the impression I had initially, but seems not the case.

Despite it is meant to be a busy competition yard, only a handful of people actually compete, and even then its sparingly.

We aren't expected - or asked - to work longer during the competition season, we simply leave the stable ready for the horse if they aren't back then sort them out the next day.

I have my horse there, and I regularily compete (am near enough to home for my mum to take me, if I'm not then I don't know if I can compete regularily, it would depend on sharing lifts ect)

Thanks guys - I think I do want to move, on good terms obviously, would be willing to work out a notice (horses are a small world afterall), just going to be tricky finding somewhere good which is near enough to home so I can still compete.

be positive

Visit site
Having responded to my post, it is not an event yard in the true sense so I think you will be better looking to move on and see if you can find a yard that is more suited to your needs.

C&C

Visit site
Hi. Dont jump the gun - the grass isnt always greener and sometimes its better the devil you know!

Try talking to your manager and asking about the extra training you want etc etc.....if you dont ask you dont get and if you do ask but dont get you can then think about making a move. ;)

be positive

Visit site
Most yards would take their WPs to competitions if they have room on the lorry so do not be too worried about moving further away for the right place.

be positive

Visit site
I have just looked at your previous posts and have seen where you are:D, I worked there a long while age, previous owners, it is a good area for you to be based in there are a lot of serious competition yards around there so take your time to look around for a better opportunity.