Optimum diet before tooth extraction?

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
What would you feed to ensure maximum health and a strong immune system prior to a tooth extraction? My 18 year old mare is having a tooth removed (at home) on 15th January and I am wondering if I should be adding something to her diet to give the best possible chance of the hole healing well without infection and generally to aid recovery. Mare is a good weight (not fat but good covering), eats well and does have a mild case of Cushings, mild enough that it is currently untreated and causes no issues, but I understand this can slow healing.

She lives out 24/7. The grazing is poor but she has good quality hay twice a day and a scoop of Happy Hoof with Spillers Supple & Senior Balancer. I guess this should be sufficient but I am anxious to do what I can to set her up well! Thank you.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
I didn't do anything different before my mare's tooth extraction! Just made her feeds sloppy after. Her op finished about 12pm and she was out in the field by 4pm for the night. Gave her 2 weeks off ridden work but that was mainly due to her stitches being right where her cheek strap lies (she had to have a hole cut in her cheek so they could chisel the tooth out from the outside.

She was on a basic feed of pony nuts and low sugar chaff.

windand rain

Visit site
Hazel had her tooth removed at 1pm was home from horspital at 4 and straight out as reccommended by the vet for the night said no hay for 24 hours so she had a few extra soaked grass nuts

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
The untreated Cushings would concern me.

What were her ACTH levels compared to the reference range, and when was she last tested?

She was only tested for the first time this autumn, 11th November, and her test came back as ACTH level of 52.4 which counted just as a positive. Vet gave me option to start Prascend or leave untreated for now - I requested for her to be tested as she became footsore in September time (solved by shoeing). I have planned to retest in the spring and treat from then. Pic attached shows where she sits on their chart, essentially borderline for the time of year.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-12-22 at 15.14.28.png
    Screenshot 2020-12-22 at 15.14.28.png
    34.2 KB · Views: 3