Optimum number of windows/vents in 3.5t horsebox

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I did mine for what I thought was ideal, mine has bars to the living so not separated.

I have a small window each side where the horse's bums are (one of which is fitted in the top door), a large one at each side at the side of the horse area where the front of the horses are and a large one in the back door in the grooms area.

There is also a raising roof vent in the grooms area, and a forced air fan in the roof of the horse area, over their loins.

I have used the box in very hot weather, and it has remained cool and airy. I think that the roof insulation is also important as well as the ventilation.

I also know from experience not to have windows at one side only as it makes the box 'boom' as the wind can go in one side and not get out the other. So, I had a spread of windows and the match left to right.

All of the windows and the roof vent are open whenever we travel, but I only use the forced air fan when it is over 20 degrees and sunny.

TPO

Visit site
I've got 2 windows in the groom's area (beyond where horses head is) and 2 smaller ones in the "luton" over the cab behind their quarters. I also have a roof vent.

20190420_074141.jpg

cold_feet

Visit site
Mine has 2 windows, level with horses head. Full partition between horse and groom area, and window between horse area and cab. I don’t open the one on the side my horse travels, as I imagine it would be to drafty in his face. Don’t experience the ‘boom’ Red mentions maybe due to the opening to the cab? Haven’t experienced problems with overheating, but rarely trave more than 90 mins.

WelshD

Visit site
I have two windows - one in the horse area and one in the groom area and one roof vent.

In an ideal world I'd have a line of windows in the horse area like a lot of 7.5t have but I suppose that's not as common in 3.5 boxes due to structural integrity maybe.

I think what mine has is adequate, ponies travel very well and temp soon drops when we start moving.

I would like a fan though for very hot days and emergencies when stuck in traffic etc

Walrus

Visit site
I've got 2 windows level with the horses head, however like one of the posters above I don't open the one on the horse side fully I just open it a crack. I then have one level with horses bum on the non ramp side and 2 pop up roof vents.

My previous box was a van style 3.5t (one described above is coachbuilt style) and that had the same configuration plus a fan in the roof and even with a hot big horse it didn't overheat. I chose not to have the fan in new one as it's much more airy and has a higher ceiling etc.

Steerpike

Visit site
I have 2 in the groom area, one on the top door on the passenger side, I did have a roof vent until other half drove it into his garage to do a repair and didn't open the rolling door high enough and tore it off, it now is just stuck down but he did fix a fan in the back which is in the middle of the bulkhead which runs off the vans battery, I can switch this on and off as needed.

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
I have 3 small ones in the horse area and three large ones in living. I have perspex over the bars onto living to stop hay but this also stops the breeze from the three large windows in living getting into horse area so even with a fan it was getting quite toasty in the back so have retrospectively added a pop-hole vent thingy and it's now much cooler in the back even without the fan on. I have a temp gage in horse area so do get a bit precious about how hot it is 😁

Spottyappy

Visit site
Thanks, all.
Red- is the forced air vent electric? And, how does it work, if you don’t mind me asking.
I have sadly had to sell my 7,5t lorry, and downsize. I’m in the fortunate position that I can have a small box made for me, and I know my last one was like an oven! Hence my question. That one had 4 windows. So far, on the new one I’m up to 4 plus 2 normal roof vents but not electric.
I’m thinking a window on the top half of the ramp maybe a good idea, having read comments here too.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I have 2 in horse section, one on each side just in front of tie ring, both have bars on and always open for travelling whatever the weather.
Also a small one between cab and rear which is usually open.
And yet another in the rear grooms door, again, open when fuzzies on board.
No full wall between horse area and rear, so we get a good through air circulation.

I have an insulated roof too. The box is quite cool in high temps, whilst driving or parked at an event (just need to note to observe where sun will be at highest and park driver side on to it and then it keeps cool).
Not had to suffer being stuck in a jam for long, so cant comment on that, but max of 20mins stationery once or twice in high 20s and Fuzzy still came off box cool.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Thanks, all.
Red- is the forced air vent electric? And, how does it work, if you don’t mind me asking.
I have sadly had to sell my 7,5t lorry, and downsize. I’m in the fortunate position that I can have a small box made for me, and I know my last one was like an oven! Hence my question. That one had 4 windows. So far, on the new one I’m up to 4 plus 2 normal roof vents but not electric.
I’m thinking a window on the top half of the ramp maybe a good idea, having read comments here too.

Yes, the forced air is different to just a fan, as when many 3.5 tonnes say they have a afn they mean that they just have a fan within the box to stir the air. Mine is like they have on an HGV, so through the roof, when off it is sealed shut, there is a switch on the dash board and when it is on the fan cover opens and air is either forced in or out. I tend to have it on "out" so the hot air at the top is expelled and cooler air pulled in. The "out" setting makes a nice atmosphere, bit as it is blowing out, it does not put a direct blast on their loins.

I had that fitted after getting stuck on a motorway in 30 degree heat one time. All the windows in the world would not keep it cool, and it was just enough stop start not to be actually parked and be able to open the ramp. Now if I am stuck stationary on a hot day I flip the switch and suck out all the hot air, meaning the air does not het hot and moist (really band news).

Spottyappy

Visit site
Thanks Red, that is my concern, should I ever get stuck on the M25, so that kind of thing sounds like it is worthwhile paying for. Along with the extra window on the top door of ramp.