Ordering a haybar...

_jetset_

Visit site
Has anyone any good/bad comments about them?

It is in preparation for my mare having her foal. I obviously can't use a haynet and if you leave her haylage on the floor she just mixes it in with her shavings and then won't eat it!

SillyMare

Visit site
Only thing to watch (as I'm sure you would anyway) is that it gets emptied completely every couple of days - especially if you are feeding haylege. If you just keep topping them up the hay at the bottom can tend to fester!

Other than that they are great.

mandy4727

Visit site
Our YO has all her 3 horses with haybars. She likes them. Much quicker than filling haylage and haynets. But they still seem to get a lot of it in their beds still the same which they won't eat. What about a hayrack - one of those metal ones that you screw to the wall. It would be too high for a foal to catch itself in. And then when you have finished with it take it home and fill it with plants.

Gingernags

Visit site
We always make our own version, have done for years...

Basically screw 2 peices of 2 x 2 " wood (about 18" - 2' of it) to the wall, and slot a sheet of board, about 18" - 2' behind it.

It slides out easily to sweep out, its low enough to easily get out of so no getting feet stuck, and is low enough for the foal to eat out of too. Byter had one when Ivy was born.

Kind of like this... (my, doing a lot of drawing today!)

haycorner.gif

S_N

Visit site
Agree about the emptying, but also when you fit it, remember to leave enough gap underneath to fit your broom! You will want to be able to sweep out the seeds etc that fall out!!

abi_wilson

Visit site
Don't like them. YO has banned them from yard now after accident last year.
2 year old reared up in stabled, got front leg in it, ripped it off the wall, slipped underneith its self, broke its hind leg and had to be PTS.

_jetset_

Visit site
Oh my God, Abi_loves darcy you have really frightened me!

I know everything has their own horror stories, so I shouldn't think too much about things like this, but if it happened on your yard then I am sure this could have happened in other places!

S_N

Visit site
Yeah - easy! When you fit it you are only screwing it up against the wall in the corner of the stable!

For the record - I've never heard of any accidents with them - doesn't mean that I don't think there have been some......

I think that GM means that if baby wants to, he/she can get into the hay rack if it wants - and out - well not entirely in, but he/she won't hurt themselves investigating!

Gingernags

Visit site
As in the accident described. If you make your own at a much lower height, any horse that got a leg in it - including a foal, would be able to get the leg back out very easily, just like stepping over it.

Have to admit it was the thought of a horse getting its leg in a Haybar that put me off, they are so high. Especially with youngsters and foals.

Or have you seen the munch station? I want one but a lot of money for what it is...

munch.jpg

info is here... derby house

TURBOBERT

Visit site
The Haybar has a round edge and I believe the risk of a horse rearing up and putting a leg into it is minimal(why should they do that anyway???). Certainly much safer and more natural than anything involving wire or hay nets......go for it. We are gradually replacing all our hayracks with Hay Bars - they are fab.

trelawnyhorses1

Visit site
Have you considered buying a pony haybar as they are much lowerand therefore easier for foal to escape, personally we use a very large sturdy bucket and put haylage in that the foal can do very limited damage with it.

_jetset_

Visit site
Thanks Trelawnyhorses... that is a possibility for me to consider. I can't use a bucket as I have already tried this. She just tips it up and the same problems occur as putting it on the floor. She really is quite a strange horse!