Organising online dressage

Leo Walker

Visit site
I'm trying to put together an online dressage series in aid of PFK and would appreciate some input.

What would people be happy to pay? I might have to take a small amount out to pay for judges, numbers entered dependent, but all proceeds other than those minimal costs will go to PFK

Do people expect rosettes/prizes? I can do both but unless I can find sponsors for all the classes, which I'm working on, it will eat into the funds.

What classes do people want to see? I'm going to do ridden, driven and maybe in hand classes but havent got beyond vague thoughts about this! Does anyone know if I have to pay BD if I use their tests?

Is it worth including other classes, showing/handy pony etc? What do people want to do?

I've set up the Facebook group and am just setting up a corresponding email and paypal payment to go alongside it.

Is there anything glaringly obvious I need to know/think about?

I'm trying to get it up and running in the next day or so with a deadline of the 1st of every month, but now I'm wondering if its better to move it to the 15th to give people more time. I will need to spend a bit of time publicising it and then give people time to get organising and film their tests, so actually I've answered my own question there!

I need to put together some rules and guidelines. I'm starting to do this now, but anything I need to think about here?

I really appreciate any input you can give, its going to be quite a lot of work to get it up and running but i'm hoping it will be a way of bringing regular funds in for PFK. Even a small amount makes a huge difference to them and the work they do!

little_critter

Visit site
I wouldn't go nuts with different classes at this stage. Start small with Intro / Prelim / Novice tests (maybe have a juniors / seniors split).
I don't believe you need to pay BD to use their tests - but you will need to buy score sheets from them.
Take a look at the other online offerings ref rules. I believe many ask you to wear (horse) boots if you are riding in competition gear so you can't submit a video of a real competition test (and spark a "which judge is right" argument)
Do you need to think about what format videos you will accept? What types can you view?

Please put up a link to the FB page
I'm waiting to hear whether we were successful in our request for a donated prize.
Ref prize expectations - I think rosettes to 6th are generally expected. Any other prizes are a bonus.
Don't forget to factor in postage to cover sending out the rosettes. Will you post out score sheets or e-mail scans / photos of them back to the competitors?

little_critter

Visit site
If you can put together a poster when you have everything sorted, post it on the FB page and I'll flypost it round our area.

SEL

Visit site
Rosettes are nice for online but I wouldn't expect a prize. Let me know on FB when you are ready and I'll share too. If one of my.horses can have all 4 legs working I'll enter intro!

BallyRoanBaubles

Visit site
For online dressage I think people would be happy to pay somewhere along the lines of £10-£15. Rosettes to 6th, any other prizes a bonus (maybe a free entry or money off to the winner?). Would be happy to get my score sheet online. Agree start with Intro, Prelim, Novice. In terms of videos, maybe get entrants to upload video to YouTube and forward link to email address?

GoldenWillow

Visit site
Ive done a few online dressage comps with different sites as I'm struggling to get out and about. The Intro and Prelim classes seem to be the busiest, inhand tests also seem popular. Some give prizes, usually sponsored, some prize money, all give rosettes to 6th place minimum. I would definitely not be bothered about prizes but I think rosettes wouldbe expected and also test sheets returned, some by email some by post. All ask that if you are in 'show gear' that the horse wears boots. Think about how you will accept payment and if paypal their fees. I think entries are generally around £12. All have been done by uploading to youtube and sending link.

J&S

Visit site
Any chance of being able to enter if you are not a Face Book user? I am just painting up dressage markers in order to do the BD on line dressage but would happily enter your competitions instead. Much rather the pennies went to help horses than go to BD!

Leo Walker

Visit site
Any chance of being able to enter if you are not a Face Book user? I am just painting up dressage markers in order to do the BD on line dressage but would happily enter your competitions instead. Much rather the pennies went to help horses than go to BD!

Thats a very good point actually! And yes I can make it so that people can enter without using Facebook :) I've half done the page today and I'll get it finished off over the weekend, and knock up a flyer etc for people who dont use Facebook, and then look to start getting it publicised next week.

Any more thoughts welcome. I've never done anything like this before so its not something I am familar with and I really dont want to screw it up!

little_critter

Visit site
What are you doing ref judges? Do you have some sorted already? Are they listed? Or if not what are their credentials, people will want to know what makes them suitable to judge the tests.

catkin

Visit site
Think about arena size too - have a large proportion of your target entrants got access to a 60x20?
If not then make sure the tests are in 40x20m arena to maximise potential entries (for those without schools at all a level area of grass 40x20m is often easier to find than a larger one)

Kat

Visit site
How about a discount off your next entry as a prize. It would encourage people to keep entering and doesn't really cost anything.

I think £10 - £15 is a bit steep, £10 is ok if the rosettes are nice.

Rules probably follow BD as closely as possible so people know where they stand and you don't have to write them up.

Fruitcake

Visit site
Great idea.
Agree that around £12 is about right for entry.
In terms of the date for entry for each month, I don’t think it really matters as long as people have enough time from finding out the test to filming it. I’m not really sure if publicising the test on the 1st and expecting entries by 15th of the same month is a bit short notice: it probably would be for me during them time when I’m at work. (Apologies if I picked this bit up wrong!) I think most of the online sites give the tests a good month before.
Let me know the Facebook page when you’re done and I’ll try to enter.

canteron

Visit site
Does it even need to be a competition - I wonder whether people would just pay to get a judges view on their test? That would cut down on the admin?
By the way, what a fabulous thing to do - it’s such a lovely charity, you reallly know every penny is spent wisely and appreciated.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Nearly done. Its taken far longer than I anticipated as I've been doing it completely on my own and haven't been able to dedicate as much time to it as I like with some horrible life stuff going on. It should all be going live this weekend.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I think its a great idea.
Just a thought - Would people be interested in a long-reined dressage test?

I'm doing long reining and driving as no one else seems to have ever done anything like that before, and there are no stand alone driven dressage classes, so I thought I'd put them on and see what the uptake is. My listed dressage judge has judged driven dressage before.

Leo Walker

Visit site
yes, its basically a walk and trot dressage test but instead of riding you do it on long reins. I'm really hoping people get behind it, and that its manageable for me to keep it going. I'd like people to get something out of it as well as raising funds for PFK. My lovely judge friend is doing it for free for me, so the only costs will be rosettes, so minimal really.

J&S

Visit site
Looking forward to this. I was wondering if you would consider a special class for veterans (equines 20 +) and/or veterans (humans 60 +) ?
We are, after all, probably the ones who can't get out and about so much any more!!!

Leo Walker

Visit site
for the first one I'm going to keep it as simple as possible. if entries are good then I can do more classes, but I dont want to end up with 20 classes and 1 person in each.I'm playing it by ear a bit to start with as I've never done anything like this before. I've got some time set aside tomorrow to get it up and running. I'm looking forward to it and dreading it with equal measure!

Rumtytum

Have Marmite, will travel
Visit site
All credit to you LW, you must have spent a huge amount of your time setting it up, I can only imagine a fraction of what’s involved and all for such a worthwhile cause. Will there be anywhere to just make a donation (towards any costs that are or might be incurred by you) or perhaps we’ll be guided to the PFK website... anyway I think you’re doing a terrific job and wish you a highly successful inaugural comp!

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Long reining and driving is a great idea. I should think long reining will be popular for people with diddy companions and youngsters.

Leo Walker

Visit site
All credit to you LW, you must have spent a huge amount of your time setting it up, I can only imagine a fraction of what’s involved and all for such a worthwhile cause. Will there be anywhere to just make a donation (towards any costs that are or might be incurred by you) or perhaps we’ll be guided to the PFK website... anyway I think you’re doing a terrific job and wish you a highly successful inaugural comp!

I'm going to offer people the chance to sponsor a class. I'm not going to push it, but the option will be there to cover the costs of rosettes etc.