Orienteering on Horseback?

ibot

Visit site
hey
has anyone ever done it or organised one?
i am looking at doing one for charity at my yard and need some tips

we are only going to do it with the adult liveries and in groups but need some tips

thank you kindly
xx

Orangehorse

Visit site
You mean Trec? Design a route, walk it, ride it and then mark it accurately onto a map. Get some blank maps, riders have to copy down the route from the Master copy, in 10 minutes, then follow the route from their own maps. You should work out how long it is going to take, so you have a time for the competition.

In Trec you have to have some suitable equipment, for going out into the countryside for a day's ride, so headcollar and rope, some first aid, hi-viz vest, etc.

Have some marshalls checking that everyone comes through the checkpoints safely (so you know where to start looking when it is going dark and they haven't got back!!!). You need a starter to record the times taken. Then work out how finished in the shortest time. In Trec proper there are all sorts of add ons, like completing certain sections at a given pace, and marks deducted for approaching a checkpoint from the wrong direction, but you don't need to bother with that.

You can use all bridlepaths, or ask for landowners permission to cross what is not a bridlepath, or ask to use a footpath, etc. (You should inform landowners that there is a competition even if you are using bridlepaths - maybe they will move the cattle if you ask nicely). Riders have to keep an eye on the route, so they know which side of a hedge to ride down, sometimes the obvious route, e.g. a trackway, is not right, the correct way is the on the far side of the hedge!

It will take a bit of organising and you will need several helpers, even if you are doing just a short route.

ibot

Visit site
wow orangehorse that is amazing are you free :D:D
we are very lucky we have a place called the old hills which is what i was thinking about using so we have full run of it.
there is also a more amazon area that we can ride around but should be easier in the winter with no leaves etc.
One of my kids have an orienteering comp on sat 6th but i am off to HOYS so they can not go but they are using the hills so thought i might borrow :rolleyes: there trail and make it equine proof :p:p