Osteochondritis/OCD

G1999

New User
Visit site
Hi!
I have a rising 6 year old with osteochondritis of the stifle (no fragments) she is going to have surgery within the next month or so however would be thankful to hear stories of recovery post op :) thanks

PonyIAmNotFood

Visit site
Mine had the op on his hocks, he had fragments in the left one and the camera went into the right for a look round while he was under but that one was clear. He's come out of it sound, this is his 3yo year and he had the op last March. He was pretty much instantly sound after and couldn't see why he had to have box rest. He moves better now than he did before the op and I have high hopes for him coming into work and staying sound.

Good luck with yours, it's a very neat keyhole op with tiny entry sites and tiny scars.

BDyasmine

Visit site
mine had the op on both stifle joints last feb. its been an up and down recovery process!
she had about a month box rest, then told to turn her out in small paddock on her own for a month, but this was not a good idea for her as she is very unsettled on her own, so we just turned her out as usual and she was fine. I then turned her away in the field for 5 months. she then came in in october sound, so then did a month of walk and trot in straight lines. after this month, she was not quite right again, crossing hind legs and rotating stifles. however vet said to persevere for another month of walk and trot as she was very weak behind. so another month of walk and trot, really focusing on straightness, and lunging in a pessoa to buid up muscle. then she has just had another check up this week, and vet very pleased with her and she is sound, so allowed to start cantering now and another check up in a month.

so at the moment all very positive, but have to be realistic with what i expect from her as she is not going to be able to go back to competing advanced medium dressage. my advice would be to take things very slowly and not give up if you think she is not quite right post-op - in my experience more work can help stifles and with time off she is likely to be a bit wobbly when you first get back on :) mine was 10 when she had the op though and I think younger horses have a better prognosis, so you may not have as many issues as i have had! good luck.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Hi!
I have a rising 6 year old with osteochondritis of the stifle (no fragments) she is going to have surgery within the next month or so however would be thankful to hear stories of recovery post op :) thanks

If there are no fragments, why is she having surgery? I can't think of ANY reason EXCEPT to remove fragments that are causing irritation (other than filling the vet's wallet!)

PonyIAmNotFood

Visit site
If there are no fragments, why is she having surgery? I can't think of ANY reason EXCEPT to remove fragments that are causing irritation (other than filling the vet's wallet!)

A girl I know had her horses hocks done to smooth the end of the bone off because although it didn't have fragments, the end wasn't smooth. At least that's what she told me - prevention of bone chips developing I suppose?

Denver23

New User
Visit site
Hi, just reading through OCD related threads and wondered what the outcome was for your horse? Did you have the surgery? Really keen to get some insight into people's personal experience with OCD particularly with regards to surgery costs, aftercare and outcomes etc. Thanks