osteochondrosis dessicans (OCD)

sherwood'

Visit site
My firends horse has jsut been diagnosed with this after getting x rays done it seems he his hock joint hasnt formed right form a young age. has anyone had any experience of this- treatment success andsupplements, work laod etc? i said i would ask on here as there si always someone who can help! thanks!

aran

community.webshots.com
with OCD they usually do key hole surgery to remove any cartilage flaps and debris. Lots of horses go on to compete - it just depends on the individual case. what have they decided to do?

sherwood'

Visit site
they have given her an injection of hyralonic acid i think and a steriod and a few weeks off. the vet will re assess in 4 weeks time after 2 weeks of walking work. the vet assessed her as being 1 out of 10 lame on straight line and then 3 out of 10 lame after felxion. would this be of great concern? the vet suggested newmarket joint supplement too on a short to medium term basis?? thanks for any help

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
My vets have had good results from using Synequin for situations like this but remember all cases are different. It can seem expensive at first but you use very little after the loading doses so works out cheaper (but more effective) in the long run.
The best place I've found for it is Animal Health, Beeston, Tarporley and they do have a website so a google should find it.