Other peoples dogs barking at me while out hacking

TandD

Visit site
This may be rather long, but I would like you opinions/ views on what I should do in this situation.

where I am currently working I have to hack past a house with 2 poodle/something dogs (I have no other option than to hack past as it's the only way in/out) One is fully grown, the other is a puppy and both have access to the front garden.
I don't know the owners, nor do my employers. The house is fully gated, with no possible access to the house. I have never actually seen the owners either.

the fencing along the front of the garden is deer fencing, so relatively large holes and not overly strong, but is high. It must be 30m long, and the dogs can run all the way along it.

Now the the issue is that these dogs are generally out in the garden and will bark, yelp, growl, shove their faces through the fencing etc till I am all the way past. This upsets the horses I ride greatly and have already been carted off once up the road in a trot valegro would have been proud of! I am actually quite worried that these dogs will soon get out of their garden, and judging by the teeth baring and the rather menacing growling I wouldn't put it past them to get hold of a horse's tail or leg!

i know there is always someone at home when these dogs are out as there are often 4 cars on the drive, but no one ever calls them in or shuts them up.... Yet I'm sure they can hear all the clanging of panicking hooves on the road! I can also hear them barking 500/600m away from where I work if someone else rides past!

so what do you suggest? A politely worded letter about the barking? Or a water pistol between the eyes :p? Anything else I can do?

cake in a mug on offer!

TGM

Visit site
Not a lot you can do really apart from as Goldenstar suggests get the horses used to it. The owners are entitled to let their dogs out in the garden and I suspect would not take kindly to a letter! However, if the dogs do breach the fencing and get out that is another matter entirely.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I'm afraid you'll just have to train them to get used to it. If it wasn't this house it would be another one. I have to go past several on my route.

Pigeon

Visit site
We have some of them near us, bearded collies. They like to wait until we're nearly past and then throw themselves at the hedge barking at the top of their lungs, every single time! It was hairy the first few times, but the horses got used to it remarkably quickly. It's the owners I feel sorry for, if that's their reaction every time anything goes past :p

irishcob

Visit site
I do feel for you, but as other posters have pointed out, if the dogs are in their garden (ie private property) they're not really doing anything technically or lawfully wrong. I had a similar situation where a terrier used to run along the top of a bank (eye level to the horse) barking and yipping, and then his party piece was to leap out of a gap in the hedge onto the road in front of us. We did some lovely pirouettes and passage for a few weeks, but eventually my horse got used to it, and it wasn't such a big deal. However when I did finally see the owner, I explained to her that Fido was in danger of either being squashed by my horse or a car. Funnily enough Fido was kept in after that...

However I guess if life throws you lemons you need to make lemonade! So find the positive and use it as spook busting practise! Then you and your horse need never fear annoying barking dogs again :)

EllenJay

Visit site
Here we go again!

Train your horses, if you can not control them properly on the road, then don't hack out. Horses in the big wide world need to cope with all sorts of things that are outside your control. It is not up to the rest of the world to accommodate you, you need to cope with things that are thrown at you.

Last edited:

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I agree with the above. We have a house near us with two Great Danes, and the garden is well above the level of the road, it is VERY scary when they come diving at us. HOWEVER I feel that as long as they don't run into the road, it is my business to be in control of my horse, not a concern of the dogs' owners.

I tend to stop my horse when they come a running at us, so he does not think it acceptable to run off. We stand and they bark, and we stand and they bark.....and when my horse's heart rate has subsided only then do I walk on. He tends to ignore them now. In fact sometimes they launch across the garden and Jay stands nice and still by association, and I have to tell him it is OK, he is free to stroll on by.

As a dog owner myself I do not like my GSD to bark at the gates, but he does sometimes. I would be incandescent if I caught someone firing at him with a water pistol!

Last edited:

EffyCorsten

Visit site
I just train my horses to ignore dogs in all situations because It's the nature of dogs you can't begrudge the dogs owners for having dogs that bark as much as you want too. If the dogs got out you'd have to deal with the situation as it happens.

Most dogs won't actually follow you for very long to be honest most I've come across the situation a few times and after a while the dogs ****** off back to their territory. If the dogs nipped they get a kick and don't try it again.

TandD

Visit site
As a dog owner myself I do not like my GSD to bark at the gates, but he does sometimes. I would be incandescent if I caught someone firing at him with a water pistol!

The water pistol bit was a joke...that's why there is ':p'

Here we go again!

Train your horses, if you can not control them properly on the road, then don't hack out. Horses in the big wide world need to cope with all sorts of things that are outside your control. It is not up to the rest of the world to accommodate you, you need to cope with things that are thrown at you.

1. They are not my horses.
2. We are doing 'get use to the nasty dog' training....we can now get by in walk
3. I have only gone up the road once at speed, the dog came from no where, surprised us both and I was not prepared.

AmieeT

Visit site
I go passed a similar house. Except it's two guard dog rottweilers and a jack russell (you read that right).

Red was jumpy the first couple of times, but when I relaxed going passed he was fine. Goes passed as sweet as a nut.

Have even chucked the dogs a few treats on the odd occasion. Now they bark and wag their tails at me :)

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
2. We are doing 'get use to the nasty dog' training....we can now get by in walk
3. I have only gone up the road once at speed, the dog came from no where, surprised us both and I was not prepared.

So what is the issue exactly?

TandD

Visit site
So what is the issue exactly?

Well I guess the fact that they seem to be getting closer and closer to being able to get out of their garden and the fact their barking isn't exactly friendly (one of them really goes for it!) I don't really want a dog bitting a horse which is not mine, nor do I want a dog kicked by a horse which is not mine.

paddi22

Visit site
Sorry op, but your horses need to grow a pair, as do you.

agree with this. dogs are contained on their own land, so its up to you to get your horse used to what is a normal occurance. One of my lads is a stressy tb, so i have to walk him past stuff in hand till he gets used to it. It's your responsibility to train the horses to cope. Dogs are a common occurance and many times hacking i've been chased and barked at up close. It's just one of those things you have to train for.

Last edited:

Mithras

Visit site
Its the sort of thing you have to cope with when hacking. The horses sound a bit difficult if they are so upset by this. Or are you a nervous rider? You know where the dogs are going to be, you pass it quickly, what happens if you meet a dog walker with a loose excited dog when hacking (as is quite likely)?

And since the dogs are in the owners' garden and haven't got out of it, I don't see what you are complaining about.

EllenJay

Visit site
The water pistol bit was a joke...that's why there is ':p'

1. They are not my horses.

Now I am confused - if you are working on getting the horses used to the dogs what is the point of your OP?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Well, if they escape that's a different issue to deal with. But your original post makes no mention of the fact you fear they will escape. As for 'how' they bark, it's irrelevant - and simply one of the 'hazzards' we meet when out hacking.

Laura2408

Visit site
I don't really see the problem as they are contained in the garden and might never get out! I'm sure if they could fit through the gap they would have done so by now.

I have two GSD that run at the fence line. Sometimes I stop them but at the same time sometimes i am busy or don't get out in time and to be honest I don't care if they scare people, at least I am unlikely to get unwanted visitors. I would be livid to find someone shouting at them etc on my own property and I'm sure the owners of these dogs would feel the same!

I think this is a horse training issue rather than the fault of the owners. My horse hates pretty much everything but it's a case of get on with it, the world won't stop for a horse unfortunately!

3Beasties

Visit site
I'm afraid you'll just have to train them to get used to it. If it wasn't this house it would be another one. I have to go past several on my route.

This ^^^

Mine very rarely react to dogs as I don't. When I first had to take my youngster past some very vocal dogs I would make her stand and have a look at them before giving her a treat as a reward for not reacting.

nich

Visit site
I sympathise OP, seems that dog behaviour is uncontrolled until something happens then it will be 'oh they never showed any signs of it before'. Today one ran around my horse barking while we hacked while ineffectual owner called at it. I stopped my mare and waited for the owner, while the dog started leaping at my mare's neck, growling. I pushed the dog away with my schooling whip as I was not about to let it take a chunk out of her throat and got told I couldn't hit her dog! No apology. Told her if my OH's horse had been there the dog would have been kicked which could have killed it. Probably it will go home and bite a child.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I sympathise OP, seems that dog behaviour is uncontrolled until something happens then it will be 'oh they never showed any signs of it before'.

But it is not uncontrolled. And what 'signs' exactly do you think these dogs are exhibiting?

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
It can be a bit nerve wracking but is probably the norm for many of us - on my 25 minute 'around the block', where I rarely meet any traffic, I will nearly always meet a yapping terrier jumping at a rattling fencing panels, cows waiting to come in for milk or go back out again, and the dairy's Heeler who runs out and behind the horses - not aggressive, just kind of hangs around, definitely within kicking range. I personally don't like the two Rotties which we sometimes pass as they lurk behind a six bar gate (which is also meshed) and only launch at it in full bark mode as you're alongside, nearly gives me heart failure, then they run alongside the fence line which is about five feet above us, but the horses have to get on with it, I'm happy for the youngster to stop for a few seconds to assess the situation, then it's nudge with the heels, click the tongue and get on. The terrier did used to run out onto the road and I had a word with the owner (who I know anyway) to explain that she is liable if her dog causes an accident, handily this was demonstrated straight away as she couldn't call the dog back to her (yapping around my youngsters back legs) and then a car came around the corner and had to brake firmly to avoid the dog in the middle of the road!

Marydoll

Visit site
I sympathise OP, seems that dog behaviour is uncontrolled until something happens then it will be 'oh they never showed any signs of it before'. Today one ran around my horse barking while we hacked while ineffectual owner called at it. I stopped my mare and waited for the owner, while the dog started leaping at my mare's neck, growling. I pushed the dog away with my schooling whip as I was not about to let it take a chunk out of her throat and got told I couldn't hit her dog! No apology. Told her if my OH's horse had been there the dog would have been kicked which could have killed it. Probably it will go home and bite a child.

What youre describing is completely different to riding past dogs barking at you from their own garden, the dog that ran up to you was attempting to bite your horse, and therefore out of control, the dogs in the op's post were contained behind a fence in their own garden. As riders are we going to insist that life stops until we go past ? Not really practical to think thats going to happen.

OrangePepper

Visit site
If this continues to be a problem then you can ask the local district council to take action against the owners of the dogs by using the 1990 Environmental Protection Act (As amended). This has been used in situations where dogs behind a fence have repeatedly barked and growled at horses passing on the other side of the fence. The owners have been ordered to ensure that the dogs are not allowed within a certain distance of the boundary fencing.

IMPORTANT! Could I also remind you that a dog biting a horse can result in the horse being infected with Tetanus as dogs are carriers of Tetanus. This is why it is so important that horses are vaccinated against Tetanus. (Some vaccinated horses may still become infected with Tetanus so if your horse is bitten by a dog always consult a vet).

Pebble101

Visit site
I had a similar sort of problem, however it was on such a major busy road it was too dangerous to try de-spooking so I avoided that bridleway.

Alan's mum

Visit site
When I was out with my old tank if had any ankle snappers chasing us down the road, I'd whip him round a bit quick and he would chase them at great speed with lots of pathetic wimpering involved.