Ouch!!

mainpower

Visit site
I have posted on here before about my OH's springer which has been aggressive towards my dogs. She was picked up as a stray so no idea of her history, and was fine with my dogs until she came into her 1st season. First she attacked the JRT (neutered, 10yo, all mouth absolutely no trousers). It was a quick scrap, done and dusted. Then Sophie (dope on a rope, village idiot type if you know what I mean), but she's really gunning for Lily, who is the only one who will fight back.
This means life is like a French farce at times, keeping them seperate, and at night my dogs sleep in the kitchen, and spaniel in the utility area off the kitchen, which has a gate across it.
So this morning, I got up and put my dogs out, put the kettle on, brought mine in, put spaniel out, made tea, got spaniel in. Went to put her in the utility, realised too late that Lily had sneaked in and was lieing on her bed! Lost my grip on Sam's collar, and when trying to break up the ensuing fight got a bad bite on my calf, cue a morning spent in A & E.
I feel we cannot go on living this way, but getting my OH to agree to rehoming Sam is impossible. He says it's Lily that is the problem, as Sam doesn't bother about the other dogs, but Lily never starts the fights, just tries to finish them! He thinks Lily should go, but I would never be able to trust Sam with my other dogs.
Sam is fine with dogs she meets out on walks.
I'm feeling like I'm the baddie in all this, I don't have the time or the inclination into training (not that I'd know what to do anyway) Sam, but I try to pass on advice I've read on here but my OH is very muleish about being advised by me... I think the dog should be out working, but he wants a lapdog cuddley dog such as he's had in the past. He feeds tit bits, has the dog on his lap, she goes bonkers if he cuddles me! So when I try to stop him being like this with her then I'm being horrible, it's his dog, blah blah..
Actually, I should probably be posting in a "Train your man" forum. I'm just seriously p'd off at the moment because I'm laid up for a couple of days, so thanks for reading my vent!
Do any of you AAD peeps have "his and hers" dogs or are you more united?
Will I ever get my man trained lol?

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
My two dogs don't have a huge amount of dealings with each other and it seems to work because of the way our property is laid out.

Sorry to hear about your calf but this is one of the main reasons we should try not to wade into dog fights (within reason!!!), when I was trying to do similar the other week, my host said 'they'll not hurt each other badly but they will put you in A&E' - sorry to hear this has happened :eek:

I take it she has been neutered now?

Other thing to think about is doorways - the vast, vast majority of scraps which happened when my dog was running with a pack the other week were near doors/doorways and were sparked by the manner in which one another dog entered the room, believe it or not!

The instigator/main aggressor in this house was a younger female - her initial behaviour was not obviously aggressive but she was the one who wound the others up and knew what buttons to push..so I would ask you, devil's advocate stylee, to look at your dog's behaviour objectively - it was quite cheeky of her to sneak in and lie on the other dog's bed.

I agree some work or training would do her good. It is probably a lot to do with lots of females under

mainpower

Visit site
I know it was stupid of me to try to break it up but last time Lily got attacked (she was sleeping under my chair in the garden minding her own business when Sam got out, stood over her until Lily raised her head, then attacked her) she was badly injured, a thin skinned lurcher hasn't got much defense, and I havn't finished paying for Sophie's amputation yet! No, OH hasn't got her neutered yet, another "issue" between us.
If we go away or out for the day it's my kids that do the dog swap loo run, and if something happened to them or the dogs then how am I going to feel then?

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Seriously, I bet things improve if you get her neutered - scare him with a pyometra story - there will be plenty on here if you need to arm yourself with info :(

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Could you take her and get her done under the guise of her being bitten and you paying because you feel so guilty? **whistles innocently**