Ouchie - broken hand

Lacuna

Visit site
Now I don't usually jump but there were a few cross poles in the school last night so I thought 'Why not'.So pony got quite into it, even cantering up to the jumps which is very unlike him,usually he likes to demolish them.

We decided to the last one which was a bit bigger, pony took off earlier than expected and unbalanced me and I managed to crunch my hand into the top of his neck. Xrayed this morning and been told its a fractured metacarpal bone (ring finger). First broken anything I've had do to with horses so feeling a bit deflated. Its been strapped up and I'll see the fracture ciinic next week.

Can anyone advise how long it might be before I can drive? OH can be taxi this week but I'm a bit worried about logistics if its going to be weeks

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have never stopped driving for a finger. It is generally only strapped to the next one, and once strapped can presumably do what it has to.

To do it right you would inform your insurance company.

ihatework

Visit site
Drive? A broken finger wouldn’t stop me driving!

Admittedly I did drive myself to and from hospital with a broken elbow! Now that was possibly a bit daft, and when I got home I think I only resisted driving for a week or so.

SpringArising

Visit site
I also can't imagine that a broken finger would stop me driving, and definitely not for longer than a week.

How long have you been riding? It doesn't sound like you're ready to jump yet OP, for your own safety.

oldie48

Visit site
Drive? A broken finger wouldn’t stop me driving!

Admittedly I did drive myself to and from hospital with a broken elbow! Now that was possibly a bit daft, and when I got home I think I only resisted driving for a week or so.
I broke my elbow running back to the lorry to move it for the vet. Tripped over a speed bump (yes really) picked myself up, drove the lorry down into the yard and turned it round, unfortunately within half an hour, I couldn't bend my elbow as the joint had filled with blood. You were lucky to be able to drive there and back, don't do it again it was completely daft! And no a broken finger wouldn't stop me driving either.

HEM

Visit site
Metacarpal is hand.... Not finger.
I was about to say the same, metacarpals are the small bones in your hand. I would suspect OP will be in a cast from knuckles to mid forearm. They normally cast from joint to joint with the injured in the middle.

How frustrating and painful for you OP hope you’re feeling better soon!

turnbuckle

Visit site
OK, an elbow beats a shoulder, you win. And I didn't drive myself when I actually did it and the shoulder was dislocated too.....only the next day when I was full of tramadol and ibuprofen!

Does sound painful, ice ice ice and cram in the painkillers, you should be fine. Just don't drive if you're woozy!

PS Perhaps you could ask them to mould a gearknob shaped depression in if they give you a full cast? Only half joking.

Lacuna

Visit site
yup. Its the hand bone and its pretty swollen making it rather stiff. Don't think I can drive yet cos it is rather painful to grip anything atm.

The doc strapped the ring finger to the little one and basically said to rest it and take pain meds. I have a wrist support/splint that I can use to keep it a bit more immobile. Expected to be in plaster so very grateful that I'm not! Right hand so I hope I can drive soon.

SA - I've been riding for about 20 years and had pony for 4 of them. We tend to hack 90% of the time and I'm not particularly bothered about jumping. It was a bit new to him and got a bit excited.

Cat91

Visit site
I got my ring finger well and truly broken last year (snapped, shattered, twisted) I was in A&E for 9 hours and had 22 x-rays taken ha. My finger was splinted and I wasn't allowed to drive. To be fair I couldn't do anything it was an absolute mess. They decided after 3 weeks that it needed pinning so I then spent 4 weeks in a sling. 6 months later my finger was still stuck straight, couldn't use it at all - no bend, no movement, nothing - and had to have another surgery. Turned out I'd severed one of the tendons too. It's now all gunked up with scar tissue so I still have no movement in it ha.

The joys of horses

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I drove myself to the hospital with a horse related broken back, so I may not be the best to advise on that front :p

Sounds painful though, hope you heal quickly!

Hipo

Visit site
I broke my ring finger in February, had to have surgery to internally screw it and wasn’t allowed to drive for 5 weeks , it was a right pita!

Attachments

• 4E05123E-64F0-4FB2-BBC6-688D0E5BC3D7.jpeg
    4E05123E-64F0-4FB2-BBC6-688D0E5BC3D7.jpeg
    886.6 KB · Views: 12