Showing Our first (and second) show

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Sorry, this is very long.

Owning a horse like a Suffolk comes with a sense of responsibility; these rare horses are amazing. Its important as many people as possible see him being the perfect ridden horse he is.

Being a nervous rider, taking him to a show myself was always going to be tricky. When a fabulous friend volunteered to ride, I was beginning to run out of excuses. I chose the Cheshire (Warrington) Horse show as our goal.

Trying to find 7.5" bits has had an obvious impact on my phone bill. I had to give up and go for a Pelham but the only one big enough was a straight bar, Mullen mouth. He has a light mouth and is very responsive to the seat, bending like a dream. I was nervous the Pelham would make him back off. I was wrong. It turned him into a steam engine; no steering, no brakes and no bend. The poor way he worked in the Pelham affected his way of going.

I was also struggling with the Suffolk plaiting. So on Sunday we switched back to his snaffle then walked over to the RC show which uses one if the fields on the yard. He was still being a bit opinionated. I entered him into an equitation class just so he could have a go in the ring with other competitors. I'd let the judge know in advance that if he misbehaved in any way we'd bring him out. The judge asked if we wanted to do the canters, I said we'll see how he goes. He went like a dream and won!

Feeling happy that it no longer mattered what happened at the Cheshire show, we set off excitedly yesterday morning. One of the girls from the yard came to the show and plaited him for me. He was calm and happy so with entry numbers low in the in hand, non shire class, we entered that too. He spooked at a pram, did the class on his normal bridle, but came second (out of 3 - one left the ring before judging) and we got a blue rosette.

Then we threw his saddle on and he went back in for the ridden class. This time he was against two professionally produced shires, turned out immaculately. We'd gone back to the snaffle knowing we'd lose marks but would have a happy horse. He went round with his head up, was a bit exhausted before his individual show and didn't do his best. We came third out of three and got another rosette.

So we came last in both classes but it didn't feel like it. We got rosettes and prize money and had so much fun with friends. We'll be back next year. Ernie is currently enjoying a two week holiday.

DressageCob

Visit site
I love the Cheshire Horse Show. It feels big and a bit like a county show, but it is friendly and gets mainly amateurs in the non-major qualifier classes.

Your horse looks beautiful and it sounds like he had a good time. Well done all concerned!

Pippity

Visit site
Oh, I saw you competing in the ridden and thought how gorgeous your horse was and how lovely it was to see a Suffolk Punch! You were definitely up against very stiff competition.

Snowfilly

Visit site
He looks super and what a great omen to get a red rosette in your first ever class!

Showing a heavy is always good fun. I actually used to have more fun taking my Clyde in open classes than heavies, as he'd always be the centre of attention.

Have you got any more shows planned?

conniegirl

Visit site
If you are struggling for bits Fylde saddlery do a custom bit service and it is not that expensive. they don't advertise it but if you phone them with a description of what you want they can normaly have it made.

Well done on your results!

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Thank you everyone. I am very proud of him. I don't know if he'll be out again this summer because I really need to get him in a double bridle, work on diet and fitness.

Riding him is amazing. There is so much power but he's very sensitive to the aids. His gallop is incredible because he really lowers and goes for it. Initially his canter was so big you seemed to spend forever suspended in the air and I worried we'd get stuck hovering if I didn't urge him back down again.

Our competitors were professional horse producers who were utterly lovely, supportive and friendly. At the end of our classes they had arranged a lovely buffet which we were all invited to.

I'd called Fylde about bits and they said they could make one in 3 weeks for me, but I don't know what to ask to be made, and I can't loan a bit and try. I'm going to ask for a consultation with a loriner who visits our yard occasionally, and get some advice.

Electric Champagne - the Suffolk Punch was renamed to the Suffolk Horse a couple of years ago. Their branding has all now changed to carry the line 'Proud as Punch' so no one forgets...so take your coat off and make yourself comfortable.

For more pictures take a look at his Facebook page, Ernie The Suffolk.

Last edited:

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Thank you. He is adorable and lovely to be around. The best part of the show was when we were stood at the lorry and people came up and asked about him, patted and cuddled. He loves meeting people.

I am so grateful we found each other. I imagine that's how everyone feels about their ponies.

Visit site
Sod the pelham! Get out and about in the snaffle for now regardless! Its not the end of the world and some judges appreciate a horse that goes well in a snaffle!

Suffolks are a great breed! Billy Ireland breeds a few up here that Richard Telford rides along with his Dales ponies. I have ridden a Clydesdale (who was oh so lovely! Light on the hand, responsive from the leg and very 'up' in her bridle!) But I havent had the pleasure of sitting on a Suffolk!