Our first xc - a day of ups and downs with a rather painful ending

suzi

Visit site
I was asked for a report when I posted about entering this comp so here it is.....

Arrived a little later than planned bit not too bad. Collected number and went to warm up.

He felt good and most importantly calm! Didn't jump a warm up fence though as kids hooning about everywhere.

Fences 1-3 ok a little 'looky' but he just felt a bit confused by the whole situation (we usually SJ). Fence 4 was a wall followed by a step down then up which he felt far better over.

Fence 5 was ok but he was eyeing up the jump judge!! Fence 6 was three steps down. First one fine the he spied the fence judge and span 180 degrees for a refusal. Convinced him she wasn't scary and jpeg down at second attempt.

I took the alternative at the following fence as he wasn't that forward after the steps and having had a refusal I wasn't too worried. In fact I was dead pleased to have got this far with no serious napping.

Onwards to the next field and all ok until we got to the step down into the water. He flat out said no...he did this the other week schooling there despite having g jumped it before....something to work on I think. Decided not to force the issue and just did the alternative and headed for home.

He felt lovely up the field over the hay rack chair and trekkaner and though the woods.

Jumped the pallasade after the woods and headed to the tiger trap.

Again fence judge watching...compounded with him drifting towards the lorries. I wasn't quick enough or insistent enough in straightening him up and was trying to pull up to represent but we sort of glanced off the front of the fence and he tried to jump anyway. I ended up on the floor and he ended up with his legs in the tiger trap and a red flag hanging from his reins.

He extracted himself quite quickly and I dodged paramedics to get to him to check him over. Fortunately he has only superficial grazes on his legs and I am stiff and sore and will have a huge black eye tomorrow but we are ok.

Not quite the ending I planned for but there were positives to take from the day as well as lots to work on for next time.

JustKickOn

Visit site
Oh that's such a shame about your ending, sounds like he was going well bar a few little hiccups. At least there are no serious injuries to both yourself and your horse. May I suggest nurofen plus tablets, am taking them myself after a fall yesterday and they really do help with the aches and pains.

Although you do have some positives from the day and points that you can work on. Best of luck for your next one, and I hope you have a speedy and not too painful recovery x

PrillyD

Visit site
Whats next? :)

I did the 3ft-3ft3; my pony is 22 and a tad wild and she jumped fab until fence before water where she jumped it so huge that i couldnt get a goid line to the jump into water so she stopped (?) which was a bit weird then jumped it from trot then flew rest of course. We came 8th :)

suzi

Visit site
Shame....but well done on 8th place! I didn't look at any scores for my class or yours...was it causing a lot of problems?

I was thinking of Iping in 2 weeks for the next one will do the 2ft6 there again, with the aim of having a nice confidence giving round.

Partly now depends on how he recovers physically and mentally from today....

PrillyD

Visit site

On one hand i was pleased as the fences were frickin' huge but on the other just gutted cos that fence was one if the easiest on course lol. Still, how lucky were we with the ground and weather? :)

results are online now :)